Am I an Idiot

There are inexpensive plastic storage containers for leftovers which are not table scraps if you've made extra food to give away which I've done.  I've cooked dinner, made extra and gave extra food away. 

If you want to do something, a grocery gift card is practical.  This way, they can buy groceries according to their preferences. 

If food giving is a such a source of contention, don't do anything at all.  There are other ways to be kind such as a simple 'hello' or wave every single time you see your neighbor or drive by which is what I do. 

You're totally in the wrong, planning to give away serving bowls when your wife isn't onboard.

Apologize to her and don't do it again.

If you don't understand why that's just so inconsiderate and insensitive I have no other advise for you other than to accept that when you argue with your wife about something she's probably right.

I also agree don't assume.  I've seen on Facebook people start "meal trains" for families in need -sometimes it's financial or it's medical - one family member is ill and the other needs to care for them and has no time to shop and/or hospital bills are mounting.  Especially with leftovers.

Many years ago I lived in a high rise and I'd bake cookies a couple of times a year -a lot of them.  So if I knew a neighbor I'd leave a little care package of home baked cookies with a note "enjoy" or something like that at their door.  That's fine - obviously it's a gesture, a treat with no assumptions other than "I assume you likely didn't bake yourself cookies today here are some from me".  

Another anecdote - my mom used to work in customer service for a major company in an office tower.  One day many years ago it was freezing out and she left the high rise to go to the subway station.  She saw a vendor selling steaming cups of coffee and she couldn't resist. 

So she bought one and managed to sip it while walking in ice puddles.  She finished and was still holding the cup, wind blowing, her hair likely a mess, all bundled up and likely not fashionista-like although my mom is cute and trim lol.  A well dressed guy walke by her, paused, and dropped coins in her empty coffee cup and kept walking.  She was mortified!  Don't assume.