Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Debate-Spicy or Not?

boltnrun

Since there have been a few "lively debates" recently I thought it would be fun to start a new one.

It's simple...are you Team Hot and Spicy? Or do you dislike or even hate hot and spicy foods?

I am squarely on Team Hot and Spicy. I love hot, spicy foods and eat them as often as possible. I like straight horseradish. Don't bother me with that creamed stuff. I like hot sauce and think mild hot sauce is an oxymoron. I love Mexican, Cajun, Creole, Szechuan, you name it.

So where does everyone fall?

This is just for fun, BTW. Not to mention I love food so it's an excuse to discuss food.

images.jpeg.0d940c56796afeaf39b70deeb2cdab80.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

Great thread. I'm in the middle. I can eat spicy foods but will deliberately choose not to if it interferes with other flavours. 

Totally agree. Hot for it's own sake isn't preferable. It needs to complement the dish, not overpower it.

That's also why I don't put steak sauce on a quality steak. Why cover up the flavor of good meat with a sauce?? And ketchup on steak? An abomination!!!

• Like 1

I'm generally not a fan of sauce or prefer it on the side so I can try a dish with or without. Yes, I hear you on the steak too. Now I am craving steak. 

I have a special love for fresh red and green chillies as they're a condiment staple in southeast Asia where I'm from. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

I'm generally not a fan of sauce or prefer it on the side so I can try a dish with or without. Yes, I hear you on the steak too. Now I am craving steak. 

I have a special love for fresh red and green chillies as they're a condiment staple in southeast Asia where I'm from. 

I'm Hispanic so chiles and hot salsa accompany just about everything. And my son in law is Vietnamese so we all enjoy nice, hot, spicy foods. When we go out for curry my son always asks for 9 out of 10 on the hotness scale. I usually go for a 7 or 8. 

And now I want curry!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Like It but not too spicy and my husband can’t because he has gastric reflux. I have a reactive throat anything that irritates it and I am gasping to breath. 

Yogurt or milk might ease an irritated throat or tone down the spicy aftermath. You may have heard of the Indian drink lassi. I just have some yogurt dessert or ice cream after I've overdone it with the spice sometimes.

7 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

Yogurt or milk might ease an irritated throat or tone down the spicy aftermath. You may have heard of the Indian drink lassi. I just have some yogurt dessert or ice cream after I've overdone it with the spice sometimes.

My doctor said I'm not supposed to eat hot and spicy foods either because of my medical conditions but I do anyway lol. I like them too much to give them up. And I'm lactose intolerant so no milk or ice cream afterward. But I usually do just fine. 

I love that almost painful feeling I get when eating hot chiles and sauces. Although it's not always great when they come out the other end the next day lol!

21 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

It is not that it is irritated it is the fact it closes up and I can’t breath. This can be caused by dry air, cold air, spice, etc. 

16 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

My doctor said I'm not supposed to eat hot and spicy foods either because of my medical conditions but I do anyway lol. I like them too much to give them up. And I'm lactose intolerant so no milk or ice cream afterward. But I usually do just fine. 

I love that almost painful feeling I get when eating hot chiles and sauces. Although it's not always great when they come out the other end the next day lol!

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Feel the burn.

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

It is not that it is irritated it is the fact it closes up and I can’t breath. This can be caused by dry air, cold air, spice, etc. 

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear this. 

I like the roasted chillies taste and we get that from a thing called sambal belachan which is a shrimp paste with chillies. The smell is something else. Be ready to be catapulted into another world. We use it in various curries and dishes.

20 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I get that when I eat peanuts and most tree nuts. But in my case it's anaphylaxis due to an allergy. It's a terrifying feeling, being unable to breathe. I'm glad when I had Covid I never developed breathing issues.

57 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I get that when I eat peanuts and most tree nuts. But in my case it's anaphylaxis due to an allergy. It's a terrifying feeling, being unable to breathe. I'm glad when I had Covid I never developed breathing issues.

For me it is a reactive airway and asthma. I would love to eat more spicy foods but it is one of my main triggers. I am asthmatic as well which makes  reactive air way more possible.