In the real world

Pink26

Thinking about leaving my husband and I will be back in the work force . I was thinking about real estate . it would not cost a lot to get started financially . But people are telling me it’s really hard at first to make money . What is another profession that like real estate will not cost a lot to get started and where you can make decent  money . If any ? 

Depends on your location, because real estate is peaking in multiple offers outside of major cities at this time. However, you'll need to view getting started in real estate not a 'job', but as a business startup. As with any startup, you'll need the capital to survive before turning a profit.

If you've consulted an attorney regarding your marriage, she or he would likely be the best person to advise you on the up and down sides of pursuing an entrepreneurial undertaking versus a solid paycheck at this time. 

My friend tried real estate sales. She paid all this money for her license and additional training that was required by her agency. She only lasted about 6 months and only sold I think one or two properties. She hated how she had to give up her evenings and weekends because that's when people have time to view properties. She also hated how her phone rang at all hours of the day and night.

Another friend is also an agent but she does it more as a side job. So she can afford it if she doesn't make a sale for a few months. Her husband is the main breadwinner, and she also has a couple of other part time jobs.

If you can afford the initial training, the licensing costs and the additional required training and can afford to go a few months without a sale, it could be a good career. But it will take time.

A gig worker delivery driver is an option. You can work for someone who already has it setup. Or you can buy in and have your own service and eventually have your own fleet.

1 hour ago, Pink26 said:

Thinking about leaving my husband and I will be back in the work force . I was thinking about real estate . it would not cost a lot to get started financially . But people are telling me it’s really hard at first to make money . What is another profession that like real estate will not cost a lot to get started and where you can make decent  money . If any ? 

Do you have a resume? What type of work experience do you have? What type of training/education do you have? How long have you been out of the workforce?

You could start by getting a profile on LinkedIn. Get a good headshot pic, list education, jobs,etc 

Also upload your contact lists to see who you know who's on there and start making connections 

Try to join some interest groups, such as alumni organizations from your school, or in the field you're in 

Also start following whatever types of things tie into what you want. 

Additionally, you can research jobs. Employers use LinkedIn as a go-to resource.

Anything in commissioned sales will be a lot of footwork and of course not a steady income.

If the objective is to get divorced, it's better to have a consultation with an attorney regarding finances, assets etc.

If you start working before your divorce, you may not be eligible for alimony,etc. Talk to a lawyer if this step is all about your marriage.

If you have a college degree (some states require it) then I would do substitute teaching and work on getting your permanent license.  Do you absolutely love sales? Do you like being on call at all hours if you have a hot property to sell? I'm not in real estate - but friends are and when they have a potentially good deal they're pounding the pavement, taking calls and making calls at all hours.  Does that sound like something you can do and want to do?

Archived