CanÂ’t have date night at home

Growing up, when my dad came home from work my parents had a routine, they'd sit outside for an hour or so while dinner was cooking. My dad has his gin and tonic and my mom, her vodka tonic. They would talk the entire time. Mostly my dad venting about his work day.

My brother and I thought nothing of it. We were busy being kids, doing our homework or whatever.

In hindsight, it set a good example of two adults prioritizing their relationship. Ultimately that makes kids feel secure.

Growing up, when my dad came home from work my parents had a routine, they'd sit outside for an hour or so while dinner was cooking. My dad has his gin and tonic and my mom, her vodka tonic. They would talk the entire time. Mostly my dad venting about his work day.

My brother and I thought nothing of it. We were busy being kids, doing our homework or whatever.

In hindsight, it set a good example of two adults prioritizing their relationship. Ultimately that makes kids feel secure.

I think your family was rather unique in that way so it may seem normal to you, but to others, this wouldn't be normal at all.

Same in my family. Also every Friday or Saturday we kids would go visit family or friends while mom and dad had a date night. Sundays were reserved for fun family time.

Some of my cherished memories are times I'd see mom and dad cuddling or kissing ( child appropriate!) or playfully showing affection.

I felt safe, happy that my parents loved each other so much.

Yes, every family is different. But I don't find it strange if there's some time just for the couple sometimes in the home.

For whatever her reasons, OPs wife doesn't seem keen on the idea. That's ok too... hopefully some time together as a couple is happening though. There's lots of ways to do it.

Are you getting that time in your marriage, OP?

Yes, Reinvent and IAG. It was much the same as you describe in our family too. My parents had their time to themselves. IMO it is very important for couples to have those moments, whether at home or by going out somewhere together. You are right IAG, seeing one's parents having happy times certainly makes children feel safe and happy too. I can remember my mother ruffling Dad's hair as she passed by his armchair. Just a simple gesture but the memory still lives with me.

Surely the OP and wife could have an at-home dinner to themselves and make arrangements for the son to visit friends or neighbours for a few hours or even overnight. Then again, and just a thought, perhaps there is some reason why the son cannot be sent to someone else's home for a few hours/the night.

Archived