Thoughts On Therapy?

Before EMDR I was constantly overwhelmed by people’s “ noise” or emotion/energy output. I could even hear it from people on here just their typed word . Just type the words I could feel the person’s energy. It was like never ending chatter in my head . After EMDR I can close that out . I would say I have less of an empathetic /psychic experience. I still feel energies just not as intensely . But that’s why I always avoided groups where there would be high amounts of emotion . It was unbearable.

Can you expand your experience with EMDR? What were you being treated for? How long did you go? What method?

I’ve considered this but never pulled the trigger. Apologies if you’ve already described it in this thread. I’m just catching the end of it.

Can you expand your experience with EMDR? What were you being treated for? How long did you go? What method?

I’ve considered this but never pulled the trigger. Apologies if you’ve already described it in this thread. I’m just catching the end of it.

I have C-PTSD from severe sexual, emotional and mental, physical abuse as a kid. Watching domestic violence between my parents, rape as an adult and medical traumas. I suffered from severe symptoms for over 3 decades. I had treatment as a teen that I have no memory of. Then I did almost 3 years of treatment as an adult. I did 2 years of CBT and Somatic Healing before they would let me attempt EMDR. You must be stable to do so. I had a complete nervous breakdown in 2012. I was non functional and suicidal. It took 6 months in therapy to even be able to form a goal.

Here is a fabulous video that explains EMDR. https://youtu.be/HVXKDsEnHwo

Mine was done with bilateral sound and not eye movements. I did 10 sessions. My symptoms are vastly reduced. I no longer have flash backs in the form of nightmares on a daily basis. I am no longer intensely hyper vigilant. I have greatly reduced irritation. Now my symptoms are more situation specific and not vastly generalized. I will always have symptoms as I went untreated far too long.

Op, sorry for the hijack.

Dear Seraphim* ~ I'm so sorry for your experiences. But they've made you who you are and you are a true Light Worker*

I too had EMDR for CPTSD. It's not a quick fix...I did 12 months! But I feel it was definitely helpful.

Carus*

Thank you for your kindness. I hope you feel healing as well.

I’ve never tried it but I have considered it. With that said, I’m not sure if my opinion will be helpful. The reason I’d rather not is because I think it will serve as some sort of crutch like another poster said. Breakups are something that appear to be an instance where it happens, you accept it , and you move on. I would be afraid to wallow too long and focus even more on something that we really should be working towards moving on from. If I did seek therapy I think it would be for some level of self awareness but not strictly to cope with a breakup. But that’s just me. I think this forum serves as a level of therapy and feels sufficient for the time being. But if you’re curious, a free session doesn’t seem like it would do any harm. Hope you’re feeling better today

Archived