Should I have a talk with manager

Yeah, so if you so insist on sending the explicit message that your on-call days are over, the adult thing would be to, prior to expressing how disrespected you feel for people having simply acted on the reputation you've well earned at this point, say, "Hey, I know I've taken a lot of shifts in the past, but it honestly has been simply to help out. I really don't need the money and unfortunately at this point am pretty burned out. I know I've been pretty quick to come in when called, but for the foreseeable future, I'll need to stick with my scheduled shifts." If you're worried that's cold, throw in a, "I do appreciate you guys having thought of me."

Again, nobody, not even your supervisor friend, has any responsibility nor reason to assume you're coming in with a cross on your back, one wrist already nailed into it. It's going to take them a bit to adjust to Johnny-on-the-Spot just being Johnny.

I'm not sure if you're on the spectrum or otherwise have social difficulties, but this really, really shouldn't be the issue you're making of it.

J.man you make excellent points my friend. I think my reaction to the simple request by my manager is related to me being tired of taking these extra shifts for the last 3 years and I hate to admit it but it is starting to take a toll on me physcially and mentally. You’re right, i started taking these to help out and they just now assume that I’m doing it for my own benefit. After 3 years I can’t say i blame them. I’m not the spectrum but I know I tend to internialze things I shouldn’t (this being a good example) and I’ll probably have to talk to someone about that. I do appreciate your feedback and all the others. It’s hard to do but I have shifted my opinion on this matter. Thanks guys for speaking to me, even when I made no sense, lol.

As I mentioned previously, I already told her no.

So WHY would you want to continue and make a huge drama out of something that has already been solved? It done and dusted. Over. Sorted. WHY not leave it be and just go and enjoy your vacation. You're making a massive drama over nothing, looking for "trouble" when there is none. She asked, you said no. There is no need to persist in digging and digging and digging when there's nothing there.

Let it go already and go on your vacation. When you get back you carry on as normal - if you can work a shift, fine. If you can't, just say so.

Na.. just say 'no' if they ask you for extra hours. Don't make a scene about it. After all it's your "fun side job" - not your career.. so you aren't even taking the job all that serious. So why make a "serious" problem over a side job? Makes zero sense.

Plus if you want to keep getting asked and have the option of extra hours, jsut politely decline or JUST DON'T ANSWER the phone immediately and they will call somebody else.

Managers have a LOT to deal with and YOU don't know what was going on at the time they called that caused them to not recall a one-time conversation with a specific part-time employee that told her a specific week you weren't available. Managers have a lot to deal with. Give tem a break - they're tryign to fill a need taht somebody left a void for during the most important time of the year. It's reasonable they either forgot OR asked you "just incase" anyway to fill a needed hole.

Enjoy your break. Stop wasting more energy on making something out of nothing for a side job for fun only.

A little perspective is needed.

2 weeks ago a guy at my work was almost killed when a 5 ton piece of equipment fell off jack stands and missed him by millimeters. He didn't make one complaint to our managers (they have fixed the issue now).

On Thursday it was 40 degrees C in my city and the fabrication shop (welding) were able to go home early, but us working in Engineering / R&D were not allowed to leave and persisted with temperatures of 47+ in the factory, while welding proto type parts. My colleague made a point that the managers were being disrespectful, considering the stress and fatigue we were being placed under.

When I was an apprentice another workshop that we contracted work to had some complaints by the employees that their lose fitting dust coats were dangerous around horizontal boring machines. The managers ignored them and a short time later (while I was In the workshop) an 18 year old apprentice was pulled into a machine. He lost a leg, foot, arm and was almost decapitated. He died instantly. I have nightmares still, 20 years later.....Major safety changes happened in work places in Australia after this.

These are real work place issues that may require some attitude with managers to solve..... Without being disrespectful, your problem is so minor and was fixed the moment you said "No". It shouldn't have required another thought.

You've probably wasted more of your vacation thinking and writing about it here, than just doing the shift it's self.

Archived