Struggling with hunting husband

K07d

I think Journeynow made some excellent points in post #6. For the reasons she lists, I prefer venison to store-bought meat. I avoid store-bought meat as much as possible. But as you said, we don't need many deer. One big deer will fill our freezer for a couple months.

I live in an urban area of New Jersey, and you would not believe how many deer are killed by cars around here. They adapt very well to the human environment. In the evenings and early mornings they calmly roam through residential neighborhoods. But when they panic, or when it's mating season, they react without thinking and run into busy streets and get hit. I've seen deer caught up on fences by their hind legs, I've seen them smash themselves into chain link fences repeatedly because they don't understand that it's a barrier. It's heartbreaking. The parks department actually hires hunters to cull the population. Without them, it would be even worse.

But K07d, it sounds to me like what you're really upset about is not being heard and appreciated. Maybe journalling would help you to explore that issue beyond hunting.

Can your husband swing my way? I've almost hit 2 deer in the last month. Dreading the day I slam on the breaks and some idiot on his cellphone rear ends me. I've never hunted but I'm strongly tempted to.

I see them splattered all over the place where I live. You think getting shot out of nowhere is bad? I imagine getting hit by a three ton piece of metal and glass probably feels a lot worse and very rarely do they die instantly.

Anyway, I can't believe you took up with a hunter with these kinds of feelings about it.

Archived