Does He have Comtrol Issues?

elleon82

My Botfriemd and I have been together a little over two years. I have always wanted to start a YouTube channel and for the past few months I have been crazy into it. He wanted to buy me a high dollar camera to get me going for Christmas. Because the gift is so large ($800) I insisted we go halfsies and he agreed. But this is the problem. We are buying the camera this week and he is telling me I am not allowed to have it until Christmas Day. While I am so grateful that he is supporting me I am livid that he will not let begin to use it until Christmas Day. There’s no other reason that he will not let me use it. When I ask him he just says well it is your Christmas present. Then he snickers and looks the other way. I found myself getting very short with him and all around just angry. Am I being selfish? Or is he being very controlling?

Why not just buy your own $400 camera then? He doesn't want you to have it until Christmas because it's supposed a Christmas gift. I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't care and would give you the gift, if for no other reason than to be able to return it in time should something be wrong with it. But I guess others care more about that kind of thing. Bottom line is if he's pitching in pretty much exclusively for your benefit, he gets to dictate some terms.

On one hand, I do admit I would raise my eyebrow at him a bit for insisting on waiting. On the other, it's hard to sympathize with you when you're admittedly getting "livid" over having to wait 'til Christmas when he's pitching in $400 for an expensive ass camera. Hard to tell if he's snickering because he's a bit controlling or if he's snickering at your audacity.

Now if you decide you need a camera before Christmas and decide to buy your own (and can frame it to him in a way that isn't spiteful), and he insists on you two buying this one and you having to wait, that's where I think you'd have a much stronger case.

Do you know if he is in financial trouble at all, and was hoping to have time to save for it, but does not want to admit to you that that is the issue?

Also, like jman said, if he is getting you a gift, and wants to give it to you at a special time, then that is up to him... if I were him, I would have regretted even saying anything.

Yes, I would say you shouldn't be angry with him. You know how many times I have asked for a Christmas gift early and got told the same thing! lol Don't worry about it...just be patient and you will have a LOT of time to learn about making a youtube channel...

What are your plans with the youtube channel? If you want to have your own product or be an influencer, I took a course not too long ago from one of the top you tubers with millions of subscribers, and they found the site a better lemonade stand really helpful for learning tips to grow your channel... Also they recommended the Noah Kagan podcast along with Gary Vaynerchuck for tips

So you will have some time to think about content etc ...

I think you may get a range of responses on this one. Sorry, I'm on team boyfriend.

If your bf had decided to give you $400 worth of gift cards for Christmas, would you go and spend it 2.5 months early? You simply wouldn't even have them. You'd get them on Christmas. It's a Christmas present. If you get the present now, it will be "old news" on Christmas and you will both feel like he hadn't given you anything.

Actually, I simply feel it's a bad idea for a Christmas present if you want it now and can't wait. In that case, I agree with j.man in that you should just buy your own $400 camera.

I know lots of people who exchange presents early and are perfectly ok with it. Personally? That would bug me. Christmas presents are for opening on Christmas.

Also, if it makes any relevancy...So with that course I took with a you tuber with millions of subscribers, they said they got LESS people watching and subscribing when they had the best camera. It is all about authenticity and content over production. The better production, the more it takes away from the viewers perception of authenticity. You can literally make a great video with just an iphone Just start with what you have and wait those few months...I would also apologize to your boyfriend because that is a lot of money he worked hard for and you should just be grateful

Archived