I am seeing this girl who I've know for about seven months now and I just meet her parents about a week ago. I had long, meaningful, thought provoking conversations with both of them. Her father described some of the other people that have been drawn to his daughter as "needy". They both seemed to like me. Yesterday, the girl I am seeing called me up to tell me how her parents were "talking me up" at dinner, when they had their neighbors over as guests. Personally, I thought this was a really good sign. What do you think? Is it important to have a good relationship with the parents of your "significant other"? If so, how important is it?

I agree with DN.

This is always a good sign.. but you have to make sure they were saying good things about you, not negative things.

And if they seem to like you, that can only make the relationship with your girl stronger, seeing how you've now made an impact on her, and her parents.

Good Luck, Hope this helped.

Being that you never know if your relationship may become a marriage...It is vitally important to be friends and/or on good terms with her parents...especially her father. You will find that your significant others parents can be quite helpful in your relationship. The better off you are with her parents, the more she will be able to genuinely trust you...provided of course she has a good relationship with them as well. Also, they're great people to know as far as networking opportunites go as well. So yeah, the better you get along with her parents the better off you'll be.

I think that having a good relationship with your significant other's parents is essential.

My parents simply love my fiance and have pretty much adopted him as a son. My mom shops & cooks with him in mind, and my dad seems to have found in him the son he never had... In previous relationships, I was not even sure I wanted to introduce my boyfriends to my parents, but this just further reassured me that they were not right for me.

I am also very close to my fiance's parents (they live several hours away), and I really look forward to all family holidays or spontaneous road trips when I get to see them. In previous relationships, I often dreaded any contact--something was missing.

Your girlfriend's parents are going to judge you: they want nothing but the best for their daughter, and if you do receive their support you will see just how incredibly rewarding it feels. If not, it might be wise to consider that their judgment is right and you aren't the best for her after all: don't forget that they know her much better than you do at this point.

It's extremely important to get along with your girlfriend's parents for so many reasons. If the parents like you, then life will be much easier if you choose to marry her someday. Even if marriage isn't in the future, a good relationship with them will help solidify your relationship with your girlfriend. They raised her and have a great influence in her life, and so their opinions matter to her (if she respects them). This means that if they like you, then she will feel more comfortable that she made a good choice, and the relationship will feel more stable. If they don't like you, then she might think about that if you two have a major argument, and then might be more apt to break up with you (if they like you they might put in a good word on your behalf if she's pissed at you.)

Luckily it doesn't seem like that's going to happen, and from what you've written it sounds like her parents *really* like you

I don't want to be cynical, but sometimes when a set of parents like you too much, there's a chance SHE will start to like you less (you're too acceptable, not edgy enough for her...).

It can happen -- just make sure that she knows that there's plenty of the naughty you that would wouldn't dream of showing to the parents.