Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

I don't seem to fit into any religion. Anyone else feel this way?

Aquafina

I realize this is a relationship forum, so this might not be the best place to ask this but I've always had good luck with people being honest with me here.

I'll keep it as short as possible!

I was raised liberal, however, as I get older I find myself drifting to the right. Today I'd say I'm as moderate as they come. Both sides of the political spectrum disgusts me and I vote solely on my common sense and what I feel makes the most sense to me regardless of political lines. This creates quite an awkward situation for me in terms of finding a church or religion that would best fit my beliefs since I have some very conservative views on some topics and some very liberal views on others.

*Examples*

Liberal Beliefs:

1) gay marriage

2) women's rights

3) social justice

4) pot being legalized

5) racial equality

6) against structured, strict religion

Conservative Beliefs:

1) rule of law

2) support for police over BLM

3) being an "individual" has it's limits

4) against "world is unfair" mindset

5) believe in earning everything you have

6) believe gender fluidity is absurd

Now, I'm not here to start any kind of debates because I'm sure some of my beliefs won't gel with everyone. And that's fine. I just find it nearly impossible to find a place that fits me because I feel Unitarian Universalists are far too liberal whereas a traditional church will be far too conservative. I don't believe in the (as I call it), "super Jesus-y stuff" where the whole sermon is fire and brimstone and people are falling to their knees crying up to the ceiling....not for me.

I believe in simply being a good person, working hard, and in the end you'll be rewarded for doing your part in making a positive difference in the world. No requirement to worship any one particular God a certain way. No requirement to following strict rules and instructions in every aspect of your life. Just the requirement to have a good head on your shoulders and do everything in your power to help those around you be better people as well. I don't necessarily shun the idea of belief in a God...but maybe my perspective is different. Rather than a big magical man in the sky watching over everyone, maybe God is love. Perhaps we celebrate God by showing love and compassion. Maybe God is actually that voice inside us telling us to do the right thing. Maybe when I think of worshiping a God I picture less prayer to a spirit, but more of a strengthening of my dedication to others.

Not sure any of this even makes sense. Or if anyone here has any insight. But you're all nice people and always willing to help so maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks!

All debates we can't have on this forum. Rule 14 from the rules of the forum: Threads on Religion and Politics that are posted simply for purposes of debate, proselytizing or similar purposes will not be permitted on this forum. Posts about these issues when they affect relationships will still be allowed but they must be relevant and not simply posted for argument or debate.

So rather than hold others accountable for their replies you enact a rule that sensors certain topics from being discussed amongst adults. This creates an environment in which the moderators seek to protect users from their own uncontrollable need to be inflammatory. A world in which adults must censor certain topics as not to upset people is a dangerous place.

Apparently this forum isn't what it used to be. Sorry to waste your time. Please, carry on helping people with real problems such as, "why won't the boy at school text me back?"

I'll find a different forum with people that are able to hold an adult conversation about adult topics. I won't be back here. Thank you for your time.

The forum community starts at the age of 14 so not everybody on the forum is an adult. I know in the very early days of the forum people were allowed to have religious debates but they found this was not conducive . All it did was drive people away . Even when I joined the forum in 2006 this was winding down vastly.

Aquafina.

The forum is as it always has been. There is a rule (perhaps a moderator here will confirm) that political and religious debate is not allowed. Not because such topics upset people, as you put it, but rather that things become rather chaotic and reasoning goes out the window! There are members on here from a variety of countries, continents and all walks of life. Different cultures and hence different ways of approaching debates such as the one you are proposing.

I think there is a time and place for such topics to be discussed, certainly. What do people you meet or have conversations in real life say to you? Do you have these discussions?

I also think it is most laudable to be a good person, to try to make a difference in this world. There are so many ways one can build towards and approach that philosophy.

And yes, you are right, there are indeed websites for religious and political debate out there.

I also think, Aqua, that this remark is uncalled for:

" Please, carry on helping people with real problems such as, "why won't the boy at school text me back?"

"

Is that something a good person would say to the many on here who do give of their time to help people with truly serious problems?

Yet you are contradictory and said:

"but I've always had good luck with people being honest with me here. "

And we are being honest with you.

We are living in uncertain and turbulent times, Aqua, and changes even in the last decade have been seismic. So I can understand that one can question many things.

So rather than hold others accountable for their replies you enact a rule that sensors certain topics from being discussed amongst adults.

Hey rules are rules. You might as well add anarchy to your list of beliefs.

I'll find a different forum with people that are able to hold an adult conversation about adult topics. I won't be back here. Thank you for your time.

That's free will, which could probably fall under both of your categories.

But you're all nice people and always willing to help

There's no need to criticize members of the forum who were politely stating the forum rules. That's all they were trying to do, trying to help you.

Archived