As the mother of a disabled quasi adult this story is terrifying

I largely agree except I think it really wasn't clear from the article how his ADHD made him function at the level of a 13 year old. I can't see how anyone can think this is some established fact from reading this article. At the same time it illustrates one of the problems with "Yahoo" justice, we actually don't know.

To me, it sounds like a mistake either by the guy who wrote this or the man was misdiagnosed. That was my take.

Sera, I agree that "creepy catchers" should have some connection with a local law enforcement group so they can make sure that they get these charged and that they are "catching" them properly without entrapment. Otherwise, they risk wasting their time if the perps aren't getting charged due to improper documentation or entrapment.

I'm not saying that they did it because they knew he was disabled. I'm saying they are jack holes and managed to trap somebody who is disabled .

This comes across very patronizing. So it wouldn't mattered to you if they "trapped" another person if they were not disabled?

I largely agree except I think it really wasn't clear from the article how his ADHD made him function at the level of a 13 year old. I can't see how anyone can think this is some established fact from reading this article.

I work with clients who have ADHD and also other disabilities that I can sort of understand, but there are so many loopholes in this article that are not addressed. Plus the use of word choice/language trying to draw sympathy from readers.

Here's the list:

doesn't just look young... Why is this a fact? Why should I care about how he looks? Pretty faces get more sympathy all of a sudden?

Jacoe was humiliated and lost a job he loved Another pathos tactic.

But Ashley had a surprise. So "Ashley's" the bad guy now?

Jacoe was ambushed outside his workplace So now he is a victim? Remember, his actions online WERE illegal.

It's apparent Jacoe is confused... Who decided it's "apparent?" Why is this writer so quick to jump to conclusions all of a sudden?

The Creep Catcher chimes in...The vigilantes are undeterred. Villainizing word choice. More smeared bias.

My god, why can't reporters just stick to writing facts?

I used google.ca hoping for some more details on the story, but came up empty handed. All I found was a GoFundMe, created by the father. In the description, he simply links the the article Vic posted.

There are so many scammers that lurk on GoFundMe. The fact this guy is doing it and only linking ONE non-credible source shows that he's doing this all for money. It makes me wonder if his son is truly disabled and is trying to use a disability card to gain crowd sympathy/funding. Not like it hasn't been done on the internet before.

Snny if you believe this :

"This comes across very patronizing. So it wouldn't mattered to you if they "trapped" another person if they were not disabled?"

Of me you know nothing of me.

You are looking at this issue from ONE side only. You demonstrated this thought throughout the thread. We can get pissed off at whoever, but by the end of the day, the facts are there.

You are looking at this issue from ONE side only. You demonstrated this thought throughout the thread. We can get pissed off at whoever, but by the end of the day, the facts are there.

I never look at anything from one angle.

You just refuse to believe these guys are yahoo vigilantes who should not be in operation.

In fact if they believe these men are criminals why are they not turning over evidence to the police? I have evidence of them also displaying a man in a wheelchair with significant mental and physical impairment . Someone with an IQ of 70 who couldn't have understood what was happening but yet they did it . Yup , same douches.

If they believe a crime has happened call THE POLICE.

I am fine with them doing what they are doing... but they need to go to the police and get a case going. Get the guy charged properly and then let the media run with it. Don't go to the news immediately and smear a guy who has not been formally charged. If he is indeed disabled, then he won't be charged and maybe his guardians can be punished/talked to for their obvious inability to watch him.

The thing is they don't go to the cops what they do is they immediately put the person up on YouTube .

Yeah, that's not right. I have no problem with what they are doing but YouTube shaming is not the answer. It actually can damage their chances of getting the perps charged.

Yeah, that's not right. I have no problem with what they are doing but YouTube shaming is not the answer. It actually can damage their chances of getting the perps charged.

But... but it worked with Chris Hansen's show on Dateline NBC...

Speaking of which, check out this video. This was one of the perpetrators that was caught on Chris Hansen's show who has cerebral palsy. He still served jail time for 10 years for having inappropriate conversations with a person posing as a 13 year old girl online. I think Jacoe had it much easier of getting fired than being put behind bars.

Video of him getting busted on the show, including the comments he posted online (sorry the comments and video title are not appropriate, but the video clip has everything you need to know)

[video=youtube_share;pWawqTfa3vU] ]

Like I said, the "disability card" only gets a person so far. It does not excuse the crime that took place. Parents need to take extra precaution if they let a child with cognitive disabilities on the internet and using social media. I cannot stress this enough.

But... but it worked with Chris Hansen's show on Dateline NBC...

Speaking of which, check out this video. This was one of the perpetrators that was caught on Chris Hansen's show who has cerebral palsy. He still served jail time for 10 years for having inappropriate conversations with a person posing as a 13 year old girl online. I think Jacoe had it much easier of getting fired than being put behind bars.

Video of him getting busted on the show, including the comments he posted online (sorry the comments and video title are not appropriate, but the video clip has everything you need to know)

[video=youtube_share;pWawqTfa3vU] ]

Like I said, the "disability card" only gets a person so far. It does not excuse the crime that took place. Parents need to take extra precaution if they let a child with cognitive disabilities on the internet and using social media. I cannot stress this enough.

Yes, the Chris Hansen show used Perverted Justice team I believe- and they were working with law enforcement. They weren't just YouTube shaming. They actually worked with the police to set up proper sting operations to get the perps arrested onsite and put in jail. The police were right there the entire time, monitoring the whole house, and they were all in on it. And you know what, I think that's great! Even when the perps didn't show up - they still were able to have the police go and arrest them.

However, going on, catching someone in an informal sting and then shaming them publicly WITHOUT involving law enforcement is not okay. And yes, it would make it harder to get these guys arrested because a lawyer could come forward and argue that proper procedure was not done, and how do we know that the guy wasn't "trapped" or encouraged, and that what they did was slander since he had not been charged prior to the online shaming and law enforcement wasn't involved.

I remember that episode and yeah, CP or not, I'm GLAD he had the book thrown on him. People with disabilities can be just as slimy and disgusting as "normal" abled people. People need to remember that. And I agree with you 100%. Disability does not excuse crime of any case. When I was 5/6 years old, I was actually assaulted by a 13 year old who had Downs Syndrome. He cornered me in the bus and pressed up against me while aroused and tried to kiss me. I screamed "NO NO NO" and he laughed. So I tried to gouge his eye out but couldn't so I struck him in the face until an adult and some other kids found us and pulled him off me. What he did was inexcusable and I have no regrets although if I had actually gouged his eye I wouldn't feel bad. He didn't get punished at all, the adults just wrote it off as "ohhh hurrr he's disabled!" Yeah, no.

Parents/guardians absolutely need to be watching their children/adult children who are disabled when it comes to online activities.

Yes, the Chris Hansen show used Perverted Justice team I believe- and they were working with law enforcement. They weren't just YouTube shaming. They actually worked with the police to set up proper sting operations to get the perps arrested onsite and put in jail. The police were right there the entire time, monitoring the whole house, and they were all in on it. And you know what, I think that's great! Even when the perps didn't show up - they still were able to have the police go and arrest them.

However, going on, catching someone in an informal sting and then shaming them publicly WITHOUT involving law enforcement is not okay. And yes, it would make it harder to get these guys arrested because a lawyer could come forward and argue that proper procedure was not done, and how do we know that the guy wasn't "trapped" or encouraged, and that what they did was slander since he had not been charged prior to the online shaming and law enforcement wasn't involved.

I remember that episode and yeah, CP or not, I'm GLAD he had the book thrown on him. People with disabilities can be just as slimy and disgusting as "normal" abled people. People need to remember that. And I agree with you 100%. Disability does not excuse crime of any case. When I was 5/6 years old, I was actually assaulted by a 13 year old who had Downs Syndrome. He cornered me in the bus and pressed up against me while aroused and tried to kiss me. I screamed "NO NO NO" and he laughed. So I tried to gouge his eye out but couldn't so I struck him in the face until an adult and some other kids found us and pulled him off me. What he did was inexcusable and I have no regrets although if I had actually gouged his eye I wouldn't feel bad. He didn't get punished at all, the adults just wrote it off as "ohhh hurrr he's disabled!" Yeah, no.

Parents/guardians absolutely need to be watching their children/adult children who are disabled when it comes to online activities.

Exactly ,none of the things these people are doing are coordinated with the police.

I am sorry that happened Fudgie.

Archived