Offering hope for those that need it...

Heather Dawn

I was just sitting here thinking, and it occurred to me that I may be able to offer some hope for people on eNA who feel like their lives are going nowhere.

Some years ago, I was in a longterm, dead-end relationship and a miserable, dead-end job; I had developed some health issues (including a severe eating disorder and an autoimmune disorder) that forced me to move home for awhile. I was miserable, and so disappointed in myself because I had always been the girl from which big things were expected. I felt like I'd not only let down my family, but my younger self.

Then I decided to make some changes. I ended my unhappy relationship, got into intensive treatment for my eating disorder and some past trauma, and started taking charge of my health to improve my autoimmune issue. A couple of years later, when I was feeling healthier (both mentally and physically) than I had in years, I started dating again. I landed a good job and started re-focusing on my career.

It's been years now, and to say my life has changed is an understatement. Here I am, sitting in my beautiful apartment that I share with a man who - in just over four years together - has re-taught me to trust and accept love, and whom I am marrying next month; we're expecting a healthy baby boy (the first child for us both) this summer; I'm back in school (Penn State), and I work from home running my own marketing agency.

If you're feeling stuck, get yourself unstuck. Your current situation doesn't have to be your permanent situation - YOU control your own life, even if it feels right now like you're powerless. All you need is the desire to change. Seriously.

Nice to hear, very well done! I'm back in school as well (Penn state as well).

More evidence to "what happens in life is irrelevant, how you deal with it is what matters the most". I've learned this lesson the hard way and with health issues as well.

Keep up the good work and good luck on your marriage!

Nice to hear, very well done! I'm back in school as well (Penn state as well).

More evidence to "what happens in life is irrelevant, how you deal with it is what matters the most".

Keep up the good work and good luck on your marriage!

Woo! We are!

Thanks, DoF! Good luck with school!

I have a friend that has an eating disorder. She doesn't have health insurance and can't afford a therapist. Do you have any advice? I am clueless as to how to help her.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Depending on her state, she should try to qualify for free care via either the government (Obamacare) or her local clinic/hospital. I had to do that, at first, when I was too sick to work and got into treatment - but I live in MA, where we were the model for Obamacare.

Tell her to go to - there are LOTS of great resources for help on there. It was a huge help to me for years.

• 3 months later...

I missed this when you first posted Heather Dawn, but thank you.

I'm in an odd place right now where life is starting to pick up after a bad couple of years. On the plus side I work part-time but can pick up full-time hours if I need to, and am starting to get freelance work related to my degree that I finished 7 long years ago. On the other hand I'm still living in my childhood home with parents, haven't dated since my last breakup a year and a half ago and the career I want to break into is such a time sink that I'm not sure if considering a relationship or a family will ever be on the cards.

Your thread makes me feel positive that bad times don't have to define our lives.

Hope motherhood is going great!

I missed this when you first posted Heather Dawn, but thank you.

I'm in an odd place right now where life is starting to pick up after a bad couple of years. On the plus side I work part-time but can pick up full-time hours if I need to, and am starting to get freelance work related to my degree that I finished 7 long years ago. On the other hand I'm still living in my childhood home with parents, haven't dated since my last breakup a year and a half ago and the career I want to break into is such a time sink that I'm not sure if considering a relationship or a family will ever be on the cards.

Your thread makes me feel positive that bad times don't have to define our lives.

Hope motherhood is going great!

Thank you! I'm so glad this helped.

The other thing I'd suggest is to view bad times as learning opportunities. One day, you'll look back from a place of peace and realize that ALL your past experiences helped you get there.

Archived