Brain fog.. Help!

Bo3

Bit of a weird one.. Basically I've been boxing about 12 years.. Boxed competitively for 2 and although I've only had 4 fights I've sparred in the ring 100's of times. I'm 22 btw.. I find it really hard to think normally.. Like how I use too. I struggle to multi task.. Learn new things, work out simple math equations or any equations for that matter and just follow general instructions it's like I really have to think about it. Oh and I forget things all the time. The only way I can describe it is you no when you've been awake a really long time? And you sort of feel like your in a dream? I feel like that alllll the time. It's like being in a bubble and it's horrible. I've been doctors but so far he's just put it down to anxiety. I think something mores going on up there and it worrys me. If anything is wrong.. Is it reversible? I don't wanna live like this forever head feels so messed up like even when I'm driving I loose concentration it's so worrying..

I've been doctors but so far he's just put it down to anxiety. I think something mores going on up there and it worrys me. If anything is wrong.. Is it reversible? I don't wanna live like this forever head feels so messed up like even when I'm driving I loose concentration it's so worrying..

Was he aware of your boxing history? Get a second opinion, mention the boxing. Get a third opinion etc etc. It is a known fact that being punched in the head for years can easily cause any amount of brain damage (which is not really surprising).

Sounds like brain fog. It could be depression, it could (more likely) be concussion. I would try and see a different doctor.

Do you know how long you've felt like this?

It's been about 2 years roughly! I'm gonna go see my doctor again tomorrow I think and see what he says

Was he aware of your boxing history? Get a second opinion, mention the boxing. Get a third opinion etc etc. It is a known fact that being punched in the head for years can easily cause any amount of brain damage (which is not really surprising).

He's aware yeah! But on the same note I did mention I was worried and stuff about what it's done and again in the same note I think he's took me saying I'm worried about it as being anxious

Is your doctor a neurologist? It doesn't sound so. A doctor who dismisses cognitive function in a boxer as just anxiety is incompetent. Regardless of what he is, he's so ignorant, you need to find someone new.

Your worry is well-founded, unfortunately. I had a neurologist years ago who had famous boxer patients, and these were some of his cases of permanent brain injury. There is now a lot of emerging research about how prevalent it is in football players (starting with high school football!), whereas before it was only thought to exist in boxers. I don't mean to scare you, but it can be degenerative, and you are very young for this process to start. I think you need to stop getting your head knocked around, but you also have to see a neurologist. Most will know about this, but some might specialize in working with those who have had traumatic brain injuries, sports-related or not, and I would aim for those.

Read up on this:

There are things you might be able to do to arrest the process or improve, but if you don't stop your boxing, it is likely to get worse. Mood changes can be part of this, but they are not the cause. Though it is possible you had depression before, in which case that would be a separate diagnosis.

I suffer from brain fog by the way, due to an immune system disorder. The cause of those sensations of being detached and not being able to concentrate, etc. are due to inflammatory compounds in the brain (and some oxygen loss, likely). Your brain is inflamed much like if you sprained your ankle would be inflamed, but less obvious. It's at a biochemical and cellular level, so unless you had a dramatic episode, you may not be able to see these changes on imaging studies. But a good neurologist will be able to give you the scoop.

Also, if you started boxing at 10 years old, when your brain was going through rapid development and was very vulnerable, you are at even more risk. Your brain does not even finish its full development until you're 25-30, they now know. And all this time, it is laying down its functioning ability, so damage during this maturational stage is critical.

Been going through the same thing, except I've been a runner for years and recently stopped running. Fix your diet and exercise. Being the runner I am, I would suggest going out and running a mile at moderate to vigorous pace as soon as you see this. In my experience, it clears the brain fog almost immediately.

Archived