Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Gotta be above it

ApocalypseDreams

Great movie, tbh. Although I seriously think the whole crew must've been tripping on acid while filming.... I first watched it in high school. Our teacher was like "don't tell anyone". Haha!

lol. It's one of my favourite films, too.

That's a pretty awesome teacher! My english teacher made the class watch Buffy episodes lol.

In America do you have the same teacher all day? Apocalypse Now is a pretty long film. Our high school classes only ran for 50 minutes each.

lol. It's one of my favourite films, too.

That's a pretty awesome teacher! My english teacher made the class watch Buffy episodes lol.

In America do you have the same teacher all day? Apocalypse Now is a pretty long film. Our high school classes only ran for 50 minutes each.

It depends. Mostly we have classes like yours - 6-7 classes per day, about an hour each. That's how mine was. Some schools do "block scheduling" where they alternate classes, 3-4 per day but they are 2 or more hours each. Then the next day they have 3-4 different classes.

I think only extremely specialized schools have the same teacher all day, given that it's difficult for one person to have all the knowledge needed for that. But our elementary schools still do that, I believe; same teacher all day. In my last year of elementary school, they tried out a thing where two teachers swapped after half a day: one teacher for math and science, the other for literature, language, history health. That worked pretty well.

We watched that movie at the end of the year, when work was basically done. We'd just pick up where we left off last.

Most elementary and middle schools have uniforms now, I believe. I did not. And now, unless it's a private school, I think most high schools do not have uniforms.

I sometimes think uniforms are a good idea, especially in middle and high school. There's so much pressure to have nice things at school, and it can be really demoralizing not to have that when it's really not your fault if you don't. Values are so misplaced. People argue "but then you can't express your individuality!", but in reality, that's not entirely true. You put other things on your body besides clothes; and you mind is just as important in expression as your body.

Most elementary and middle schools have uniforms now, I believe. I did not. And now, unless it's a private school, I think most high schools do not have uniforms.

I sometimes think uniforms are a good idea, especially in middle and high school. There's so much pressure to have nice things at school, and it can be really demoralizing not to have that when it's really not your fault if you don't. Values are so misplaced. People argue "but then you can't express your individuality!", but in reality, that's not entirely true. You put other things on your body besides clothes; and you mind is just as important in expression as your body.

I agree.

I am from a working class background and my parents couldn't afford to dress me in the surf labels that were popular at the time. Had there not been a uniform, it is likely that I would have been bullied.

The overemphasis on individuality is not something I particularly care for. Not that I'm extremist about it, but it needs to be balanced out with ideas of community and solidarity.

I had a uniform in elementary school and first year of high school(where I attended a Catholic school). I begged my mom to get me out of there because I was sick of religion being crammed down my throat. It wasn't because my mom particularly cared that I be in a religious setting, but because the public schools in the district had been on academic probation. So I had to win the 'admission lottery' to go to this magnet school. We didn't have uniforms, there. And I wish we had. Really, it was just easier. And less costly!

Now I have noticed a lot of high school kids with clear and transparent backpacks. I don't know how I feel about that. I realize it is for safety concerns but really, couldn't you just stuff whatever it is in between the pages of a book or a folder? Or in your underwear? I can imagine this is what the girls are doing, no high school girl wants anyone to see her tampons.

I Now I have noticed a lot of high school kids with clear and transparent backpacks. I don't know how I feel about that. I realize it is for safety concerns but really, couldn't you just stuff whatever it is in between the pages of a book or a folder? Or in your underwear? I can imagine this is what the girls are doing, no high school girl wants anyone to see her tampons.

I distinctly remember having days off from school because of bomb threats. Nothing happened - prank calls and people finding bottles and such with "mystery" stuff in it - but even back then, pre-9/11 days, there were issues. I am not surprised to hear about the clear backpacks. In fact, a lot of local events around here no longer allow packs, bag, or purses to be carried, period.

In Highschool we had a different teacher for each topic. One high school I went to was in a wealthy area and it did feel demoralizing. I had average parents and these girls literally wore new shoes ,new clothes and new purses every day of the week. And they were sent to Europe or Isreal every summer. And my mom had to worry about whether she was going to pay for my dad's heart medication or where we were going to live.

I never had a uniform anywhere .

My son had a uniform from grade one to grade 12 but he went to Catholic school.

Here backpacks are no issue whatsoever being brought to school.

Pretty excited!

Going to several lectures around social policy, international affairs and Australian politics. I'm a social policy, current affairs and politics junky.

Met a pretty girl tonight and had some pretty interesting discussions about places we've traveled. Not that it will go anywhere, but it's nice to talk to women who have the same interests and values as me. I'm a bit jaded at the moment with women.

Nah, she's probably a little too young for me - she's in her early 20's and I'm in my late 20's. If she was mid 20's, it possibly could work. The gap between me and her would be too much, lots of change happens in your 20's.

It was just nice to have an interesting discussion with someone I found attractive. Women that I generally find attractive are never particularly that interesting when I talk to them. lol

I had a pretty messy experience with a woman last year who I really liked. It's kinda made me question whether I'm good enough for someone else and has made me withdraw from dating. Probably a bad thing, but I want to protect myself.

Archived