I'm anxious over this stupid desk

WithLove

A beloved coworker of mine is moving departments soon and I'm next in line to take her desk.

Our desks are situated with hers in the front and mine and another coworker's behind hers. We all face the same way. She's the one that has direct contact with patients and visitors that come into our medical records area. With her leaving, as the next one in charge, that desk will become mine (after I train the new person to take my current desk).

I am having the worst anxiety over this. Her desk is in the open, with people coming and going behind and in front of her. My current desk is in a corner, alone, and the reduced noise/traffic makes it easier for me to handle my stress/anxiety levels. I had actually asked a few weeks ago to switch to a desk that's even more secluded because I work better without being around others, but before it was ok'd by my manager, my coworker applied and got accepted into another department. So that option is no longer viable for me.

I can't believe how much this stupid desk is affecting me. I'm absolutely dreading it. I feel like I can't say no when they ask me to move my things, because there literally is no one else to fill that desk. My other coworker (the one that's not leaving) is new and is not equipped to sit at the front desk. And I'll be training someone else to take the place of the one leaving, so that person will also not be equipped to take that spot. So it's left for me.

I'm freaking out. I actually feel like I'm getting hives or something over this damn desk.

Just looking for words of wisdom, or advice, or something.

To get to the point where you are able to face down fears is a process. You have to be at a point where you can control your own anxiety with grounding methods to be able to face the fear effectively. Don't try to face down to fear with uncontrolled anxiety. That will actually make your anxiety worse. I routinely try face down fears but I am at a point where I can control myself at least 98% of the time.

Maybe talk to your doctor or talk to a therapist about your anxiety it can be treated with therapy and grounding methods.

As far as dependence on medication goes ,dependence doesn't usually develop until a straight month of taking a benzo. The amount of dependence also depends upon the strength of the medication and the half-life. I take Klonopin occasionally now but I took it for a straight year . Mind you a small dose but it has a very long half life. I was able to wean myself off in 3 1/2 months. I wouldn't really look at it as "addiction". The doctors more describe it as a physical dependence but it's not like you are going to become a raving addict who buys their Xanax off the street. When you get off it you do a controlled wean with your doctor.

I've always said my greatest phobia (other than heights) is speaking in front of a group of people. I also have mild OCD and anxiety.

I recently got promoted to a position where I have to teach classes. Some classes include 50 people.

So, I just did it. As in, I just got up there and started speaking. And you know what? I found out I actually love it! And not only do I love it, but I discovered I'm good at it.

Give yourself a chance. You may surprise yourself with abilities you didn't know you had.

I've always said my greatest phobia (other than heights) is speaking in front of a group of people. I also have mild OCD and anxiety.

I recently got promoted to a position where I have to teach classes. Some classes include 50 people.

So, I just did it. As in, I just got up there and started speaking. And you know what? I found out I actually love it! And not only do I love it, but I discovered I'm good at it.

Give yourself a chance. You may surprise yourself with abilities you didn't know you had.

I did that with myself . I was always terrified to be up in front of people so one day I just jumped and joined the folk group at our church. Now me and one other person sing in front of hundreds of people weekly. It doesn't bother me in the least anymore. Mind you the first few times I was seeing spots and thought I was going to pass out and actually started having memory lapses where I couldn't remember what to sing but I managed to push through it.

Archived