Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Posted this question in r/philosophy, but the thread gained no traction...

derPhilosoph

I have been pondering something lately and wanted to see what others thought about it. A little disclaimer is that none of what I post below may be original as in I am not the first to observe/document it. This topic may already be discussed in other threads, but I wouldn't know precisely how to search for them.

Anyway here goes!

Do any of you get the sense or feeling that persons who are strongly religious (devout to the point where they truly believe that there is an afterlife where things are much better than this world, etc.) may use their beliefs to sidestep actually trying to make tangible improvements in people's lives on THIS earth???

Now their inaction may be due to conscious or subconscious thinking, but that isn't the point here.

Over the years I have observed the actions/inactions of some friends/coworkers whom I'd consider to be strongly religious. Furthermore I have read a lot online, in print, etc.

I contrast the apparent religious person's inaction to that of a true atheist - one who truly believes that this life and this world are the only things that can be proven and thus are of paramount importance. It seems to me that a true atheist would believe that one has a duty to use science/technology/engineering to improve the lives of people on THIS earth!!

For example, a truly religious person may feel that he or she cannot do anything to help the children dying of easily curable diseases and hunger/thirst in Africa. Furthermore, he or she may justify her inaction by truly believing that once those people are relieved of their worldly suffering through death, that they will be in a better place.... In contrast, an atheist may view this situation as one in which science and technology can be used to help people's lives for today (since none of the solutions to disease/hunger require any the development of any new technologies)...

Anyway, your thoughts?

I don't think all people who are religious believe in an afterlife or in a kind of afterlife where it doesn't matter what you do on Earth. I have never heard of a religion that supports doing nothing while on Earth for people in need because of belief in an afterlife. I think people who have this attitude are using the "I'm religious" as an excuse because they are not truly following their religion. Obviously there can be religions that exist where the believers all believe in doing nothing while on Earth to help people but I would assume those are more fringe groups if they exist at all.

I find your opinions far too broad and generalized (and in my opinion inaccurate in certain respects).

Archived