Dilemma. Knowledge of someone's unprofession activities at work.

Moontiger

So, I'm in grad school getting a degree in a very small field. We are all already job hunting for when we graduate.

One of the people in my class, I'll call him Jack, is applying for a job with a company were I know someone. Jack asked me about this person and basically wants me to talk to her and put in a good word. Now, this person I know, I'm not sure as any connection to the department he is applying to but I told him I would look into it.

Now Jack is an OK guy. BUT, I know of some VERY unprofessional (and illegal) things Jack has done at his last place of employment. (I should note he is not shy about talking about these things to the class, though never in front of professors). I don't know if I should just tell Jack that my friend is not connect with the department he is applying to or If I should tell my friend what I know about Jack.

I would tell Jack that your friend has nothing to do with the department.

Your "heresay" knowledge of Jack, passed on --- could lead to him not getting employment. And your defamation could have repurcussions (yes, I get that

your source is Jack himself --- but he could say he was telling big tales)

Keep out of it. Learn how to smile, nod, and dismiss with a "yeah, sure I'll see what I can do" and essentially leave it at that. You'll save yourself a lot of grief that way. You don't owe him a report on what you actually have or haven't done. If he presses you, you can always tell him that you mentioned him to your friend, but she doesn't have any influence on that decision, so sorry and good luck.

As for the shady things, maybe he was telling the truth, maybe he was telling tall tales because he is an insecure twit, maybe his previous employer sanctioned the actions or even demanded them. You don't really know and since you don't know what the truth is, best to keep away from the whole thing.

Keep out of it. Learn how to smile, nod, and dismiss with a "yeah, sure I'll see what I can do" and essentially leave it at that. You'll save yourself a lot of grief that way. You don't owe him a report on what you actually have or haven't done. If he presses you, you can always tell him that you mentioned him to your friend, but she doesn't have any influence on that decision, so sorry and good luck.

As for the shady things, maybe he was telling the truth, maybe he was telling tall tales because he is an insecure twit, maybe his previous employer sanctioned the actions or even demanded them. You don't really know and since you don't know what the truth is, best to keep away from the whole thing.

Yeah, i agree.

Just to clarify the one illegal thing he did (that we know about) he had the evidence of it with him at school for a time and showed us all. I don't want to say to much because the field is so small, but basically what we should was 100% illegal, and would have gotten him kicked out of school if the professors had found out.

I don't want to cause any drama but another thought I has was basically just telling him, "You have admitted to some things that make me uncomfortable recommending you for jobs or putting you in contact with the person I know. I hope you understand."

This reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago. A college admissions officer reported getting a letter of recommendation from a famous TV newscaster. The letter said, "I am a friend of (student's father). I do not know the student personally, but his father is a very good man." That was the letter. obviously, the newscaster didn't feel comfortable turning down the request from his friend to write a letter, but he really should have. I guess if your friend asks you point blank, "We see that a student from your program applied to our company and we are considering hiring him" then you can tell her/him what you know. But unless that happens, I don't know if I'd intervene.

Since the field is so small, the last thing you need is to make an enemy out of him. By saying anything to him, you are not going to teach him, but he may well remember it and hold it against you for years and it can bite you in the rear when you least expect it. Learn how to politely arms length these kinds of people. Why are so compelled to say anything at all to him? Is he your boss waiting for an overdue report??? It's a serious question. His job quest is not your problem. Boundaries, personal or professional - boundaries are good.

Moontiger,

I went through almost the exact same thing! A friend of mine in graduate school wanted me to hook her up with some investment bank job. I know one of the top people at this very large IB. I know his wife and the company just took my bf (my bf is the one who actually does business with the investment bank) and I on a company paid vacation in appreciation for the business and we've gone to many events with the IB guy and his wife.

This woman was ok, but she did a few things I did not appreciate--nothing illegal, but more bad charter things... She hooked up with a guy who has a girlfriend, skips tons of classes and than asks for answers on assignments from other people. I saw her crying in the cafeteria because she broke up with one of her boyfriends, does assignments at the last minute, etc. Do you think I wanted to hook her up with a job after this? My friends wife would not be happy that I got this tart hired.

I also said I would "look into it." Stupid me, I did it before I really got to know her.

She demanded my bf's info, texted relentlessly to get me to help her. Long story short, she never spoke to me again after this, unfriended me on Facebook, pretty sure she bad mouthed me. It just turned into a horrible situation.

Graduate school is funny. People get super competitive with the jobs, and then if you recommend someone and they don't turn out, you end up looking bad. And really you should be helping yourself out first. Maybe you should go for the job?

Now this guy is going to be piS$ed if you don't help him....Really it's a no win situation for you. I am learning the hard way to keep my mouth shut when it comes to jobs and employment in general.

Let us know how you work it out. Personally I would just avoid "Jack", or (bad bad) lie that you talked to the person and they said they have nothing to do with hiring.

Archived