hang nail from h***, should I go to the ER?

oitnb

So I'm not sure when exactly I bit this hangnail off, but at some point these past few days I did. My ring finger has been pretty painful, sore, and swollen since I woke up this morning. Well, it has now progressed to such a bad pain that I can't sleep. My finger feels so sore and feels like it weighs 1,000 pounds, it hurts to even gently graze anything and to bend or move it. I also have a weird red streak going up my arm from the finger. Should I go to the ER? I dont wanna be a hypochondriac but at the same time I don't wanna avoid something more serious.

Well I went to urgent care. It's an infection of the nail bed called paronchia, and it was most likely caused by me biting the nail or a hangnail. She had to drain the infection, and omg that was the absolute worst pain of my life. Ever. It felt like my finger was dipped in acid. My boyfriend had to hold me down. The doctor said shes seen grown men cry and faint from that, and that I actually handled it well compared to most. I'm on antibiotics now and should be fine. Doing hair at school will be a struggle tho

Well I went to urgent care. It's an infection of the nail bed called paronchia, and it was most likely caused by me biting the nail or a hangnail. She had to drain the infection, and omg that was the absolute worst pain of my life. Ever. It felt like my finger was dipped in acid. My boyfriend had to hold me down. The doctor said shes seen grown men cry and faint from that, and that I actually handled it well compared to most. I'm on antibiotics now and should be fine. Doing hair at school will be a struggle tho

I am so glad you are ok and so sorry you had to go through that -they couldn't give you a local anasthetic?

Thanks everyone. She offered to do the local anestitic but she said it wouldn't really be worth it - the shots burn just as bad as draining it until the finger goes numb. So I decided to just tough it out for 45 seconds. Now today I have a headache and feel nauseous - ugh

I'm glad you got it checked out.

I had an ingrown toenail removed (just the ingrown part, luckily) last week, and yeah, the anesthetic shot (straight into the infected part of my toe, and another one lower) hurt like hell. The doctor even apologized. They need to invent something else!

I hope you heal up soon.

Thanks everyone. The doctor ended up switching my antibiotic. She said I shouldn't be reacting quite that strongly (I couldn't keep anything down all day - constant vomiting) I took the new antibiotic this morning and hopefully I'll be fine because I can't miss anymore school or I'll have to restart - they have a stupid two day rule the first two months, if you miss more than two days in the first two months they make you leave or restart even if you have a doctors excuse

Make sure you take at least one full glass of water (12 oz or more) with those pills and preferably not on an empty stomach unless the antibiotic tells you to do so or to avoid something like taking it with milk.

btw if you are on birth control pills, use another method for the next month as well... antibiotics are notorious for interacting badly with b.c. pills and leading to accidental pregnancies. If you are vomiting, you might also throw up the b.c. pill.

Archived