Open Club  ·  89 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Is there anything I can do

oitnb

My neighbors have two full grown pit bulls.

A week or so ago, while they were gone (which they usually are, they literally come home about every other day or every three days late at night and then leave first thing in the morning) there dogs got out and tried to attack a mans two German shepards that he was walking. The kicker, the man was a veteran and in a wheelchair. A passerby and myself shuffled the dogs back into the back yard, and used a trash can to keep the gate from coming back open. I called animal control and all they did was leave a note on the front door.

So anyways, my main point here. The neighbors are NEVER home anymore, save for a few hours at night every few days or so. These dogs are home alone, either in the house or backyard, for days on end with no one to feed or water them. If I called animal control and informed them of this, do you think they would do something?

I feel really bad for those dogs. Yes They're a nuisance, running along the fence barking at my dogs, but it's not there fault they have crappy owners. In fact, when I took them into the neighbors backyard they were quite passive and sweet, I think they're just dog-aggressive, not people-aggressive.

I know I feel bad for them.

I used to hate those dogs but when I helped moved them into the backyard for a few minutes, they were so excited and happy to see people. You could tell they were dying for attention.

You need to call the police, not Animal Control who are about as useless as boobs on a badger. You report to the police that the dogs are getting out of the yard and going after people, that if you had not been there to stop them they would have mauled an old man in a wheelchair. And he would likely have died. This is serious. Also tell the cops that these dogs are left with no food, no shelter, no water. Or call one of the pit bull rescue operations and let them know what's happening.

I live on a ranch where I am constantly rescuiing abandoned animals. The Police, not Animal Control, are the ones who help me when one of these animals is dangerous and/or too much for me to handle.

Edit: Just saw your note about the neighbors moving. I would still file a report with the police. That way something is on file should the worst happen elsewhere and they try to claim the dogs were never a threatt before.

Yes They're a nuisance, running along the fence barking at my dogs, but it's not there fault they have crappy owners. In fact, when I took them into the neighbors backyard they were quite passive and sweet, I think they're just dog-aggressive, not people-aggressive.

Why on earth would you do this? Keep your dogs away from theirs. In fact don't let them out in the backyard while they are already out since they already escaped from their yard before.

You have no idea if those dogs have their vaccinations up to date and they could make your dogs very sick. Plus if they already attacked another pedestrian and his dogs, whats to stop them from turning and attack yours? Aggressive dogs are very unpredictable and they most likely attacked the pedestrian because they felt the Shepards were a threat to their territory. I am surprised they have not tried attacking your pets yet (doesn't mean it won't happen).

Stop being the nosey neighbor and stay off their property. If those dogs attacked you or your pets, you will not have a strong case with the police because you were trespassing onto their property. You and your boyfriend already got into deep S with these neighbors before where violent threats were exchanged. Do you really want to make it worse by getting involved in their business and they find out that you were the "snitch?"

Call the police and stay away from their dogs. Do not get further involved or you will make yourself a target for these neighbors to retaliate. It is not your problem and you are not a law enforcer.

I think you misread my post?

I was home. I heard yelling and screaming and barking coming from outside. I open the door, and there is a man in a wheelchair walking his two German shepards. The neighbors two pitbulls had somehow gotten out, and were attacking the dogs (not the man). Of course I helped? I wasn't gonna sit there and watch a man in a wheelchair try to defend his dogs.

As I walked over there, a passerby stopped and helped as well. We basically blocked the two pits away from the mans dogs and let him wheel away. Once he was a safe distance away, we shuffled them back into the back yard. Once the man walking his dogs was gone, there demeanor totally changed. Very friendly and happy. I didn't let them get too close to me, but I've worked with animals and I could tell by there body language they were happy and wanted human attention. That's all I was saying. Never did my dogs come in contact with there's at all.

The neighbors have moved anyway so it doesn't even matter. I knew they'd move within a few months, once the landlord got sick of them.

This is such a hot button issue with people. And it's made even hotter by the dogs being pitbulls. I know I am getting in on this way too late and now they have moved so it doesn't matter. But I feel bad for the poor dogs. I have volunteered an animal shelters in the past. Usefully the problem is the owner not the dog.

Since they are moving it doesn't matter but I the future you should report things like this to the police and report the owners for neglecting their animals.

My sister had an issues with her neightboors dog. I forget the breed, some kind of herding dog. It was constantly getting out of their yard. One day my sister could not go out on her porch because the dog was out and acting aggressively. She sent a letter to the neighbors but just a few month later the dog was back out again. My sister sent a second letter basically saying if it happened again she would call animal control. Well third time it happens she directly confronted them and the got really defensive. Even though the dog had already bitten in of their own kids! It was after this third time they finally got rid of the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I did misread. My fault.

Here is the problem with reporting it to the police: if they get a report about two pit bulls escaping from the owners property and attacked a pedestrian, those dogs would be euthanized. One of my roommate's dogs got out and attacked a neighbor.. Police were called and the dog was taken away and euthanized. No one is going to want to adopt dog, especially a pit bull, if there is a report about them attacking a person or another dog.

The neighbors have moved. At this point, just drop it.

This is such a hot button issue with people. And it's made even hotter by the dogs being pitbulls. I know I am getting in on this way too late and now they have moved so it doesn't matter. But I feel bad for the poor dogs. I have volunteered an animal shelters in the past. Usefully the problem is the owner not the dog.

I'm a hugeee fan of the dogs people typically think are mean, bloodthirsty spawns from hell - pits, rotweilers, dobermans, I love em! The bigger the better. I've never met a mean dog out of those breeds, if there owner trained them right. All sweeties. Now, if the owner was a jerk and didn't raise them right / encouraged aggression, that's a whole another story.

Archived