haml16

Hey, so my bf and i have decided not to use condoms during sex. I am on the pill. Im pretty good taking it everyday. although, sometimes it won't be at the same time. I am also taking other medication for acne. would that lower the effectiveness? Am I being too risky?

thanks,

Julie

I would say there is always a risk that other medications can actually cancel out the effectiveness of the Pill. Best thing would be to check with your doctor.

That said, if you don't want to a mommy right now, and he doesn't want to be a daddy any time soon, then make sure to be responsible about it - make SURE you always take the Pill at the same time every day. Also, your boyfriend is equally responsible for birth control. If HE doesn't want to be a parent, then he should cover up (imo).

Either check with your doctor, or call your pharmacist to be sure.

Personally - if I was in a position where it would be a major catastrophe or cause a major problem to become pregnant - I'd use something as well as the pill, like the sponge - and if I was even remotely worried about STDs (in a relationship where either STD testing hadn't been done, or wasn't yet long term), I'd use the condom regardless. I did rely on just the pill as an older teen-early 20's person myself - but - STDs were considerably less prevalent, and the guy I was sleeping with for 5 years, we were each other's firsts. If I were going into a relationship in this day and age, I'd probably opt to be much more cautious.

Archived