Hi - I feel selfish for writting this. My boyfriend has been on Celexa (antidepressent) for over a year. Since that time he has lost all interest in sex. I mean all interest. We weren't togther all that long before he began taking Celexa.

Naturally I am feeling so unattractive and unwanted. He assures me he love me and we have even moved in together. He promises things will change.

I am growing so resentfull. I am generally quite secure and have been told I was very attractive. I have never had this problem and always enjoyed a healthy sex life.

Has anyone had this problem. Could it be me and he is afraid to tell me.

Thank you for that. I have tried endlessly to get him to talk and he says he thinks sex isnt that imporatnat anymore.

This is not how he acted prior to the drug.

Now he stays up late and does not come to bed until I am asleep, he avoid any sort of contact.

I was beginnign to think he was gay.

Celexa does affect your sex drive, as most anti-depressants do. It's not you, Im sure he still finds you attractive, the drive just isnt there right now.

You may suggest to him that he meets with his physician or psychiatrist to discuss a possible change in medication. I've heard that Wellbutrin is supposed to be good with not affecting the sex drive as much. Or they may be able to give him something else to help.

Don't feel that it's your fault. I went through the same thing with my anti-depressants. Im normally VERY sexually active and love sex, but when they upped my dosage several times, I just don't want it as much, or get off as much. It does get better, but it takes time and making sure you tell your doctor all the side effects you experience so they can help you.

Hope that helps.

Hey Hannah,

I have no experience with celexa, but I have taken an antidepressant in the past that is called Remeron in my country (I am from Europe, but not UK), the brandname for mirtazapine. This has no influence on the sexdrive. Almost all other SSRI's have that nasty side effect. Man won't be able to have an erection, let alone ejaculate.

I am now on Efexor, and my sex drive is zero. I tried to have an orgasm LOL, but no use. Wouldn't happen.

Anyway, don't take it personal. REALLY.

Ilse.

I have been on Celexa for about 3 years now and its true, it does dramatically affect the sex drive. Please do not think its you or that you are unattractive or unwanted. It is the drug that is affecting things.

I'd recommend going in with your boyfriend to speak to his doctor. The doctor can explain to you what is going on and offer alternate medications or suggestions about ways to overcome the side effects. There are two medications which are supposed to affect the sex drive less and those are Wellbutrin and Lexapro (which is the new version of Celexa).

Speaking to the doctor should give you a lot of reassurance that you are not alone in this. This is a well known side effect of these drugs and many people have reported that they interfere with their sex life.

Male and Female Sexual Dysfunction with SSRIs Although changes in sexual desire, sexual performance and sexual satisfaction often occur as manifestations of a psychiatric disorder, they may also be a consequence of pharmacologic treatment. In particular, some evidence suggests that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) can cause such untoward sexual experiences. Reliable estimates of the incidence and severity of untoward experiences involving sexual desire, performance and satisfaction are difficult to obtain, however, in part because patients and physicians may be reluctant to discuss them. Accordingly, estimates of the incidence of untoward sexual experience and performance cited in product labeling, are likely to underestimate their actual incidence.

I got that quote from the prescribing information for Zoloft (sertraline hydrochloride), which is the SSRI that I'm being treated with. I just started taking it this morning. There have been incidences of ejaculation failure (delayed ejaculation) and decreased libido in placebo-controlled clinical trials.

Adverse Event        Zoloft(N=2799)     Placebo(N=2394)
-------------------------------------------------------
Ejaculation Failure       14                   1
Decreased Libido           6                   2

Those are pretty small numbers considering the total number of people tested so it seems to be rare. Zoloft is used to treat Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.

SSRIs seem to affect different people in different ways. If the SSRI your bf is using is causing problems then maybe a change of meds is in order. Talk to a doctor.

All anti-depressants have SOME side effects. I also have taken Remeron successfully for a couple of years now with no loss of sex drive. However it causes weight gain, especially at the beginning! This was ok for me, but for some people it's a big problem. Most side effects decrease eventually, but it can be a process of trial and error to find the right medication.