Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Best city in the US to move too?

oitnb

So I'm from boring old ohio.

I've been considering, after I heal an figure everything out, just packing up and moving to a different state for a few years?

I was thinking New York, but I might just be watching to much sex and the city haha.

Anyways, what's the best city guys? I.E - most events, cool jobs, fun places like clubs bars art museums culture ect ect lol.

New York City is extremely expensive. My bestie moved there, and while she has a good job, she doesn't like the living cost. But it is the city that never sleeps.

I think most cities will have the things you're looking for. Clubs, museums, art shows, fairs, bars, music... Etc, goes on. I think you'll have to figure out what is your style of the environment, the people you're looking for, the vibe of the area. Now that can be different.

New York City is extremely expensive. My bestie moved there, and while she has a good job, she doesn't like the living cost. But it is the city that never sleeps.

I think most cities will have the things you're looking for. Clubs, museums, art shows, fairs, bars, music... Etc, goes on. I think you'll have to figure out what is your style of the environment, the people you're looking for, the vibe of the area. Now that can be different.

I wanna move somewhere upbeat, with lots of opportunities. I know new Yorks pretty dang expensive!

I've been considering, after I heal an figure everything out, just packing up and moving to a different state for a few years?

I was thinking New York, but I might just be watching to much sex and the city haha.

Anyways, what's the best city guys? I.E - most events, cool jobs, fun places like clubs bars art museums culture ect ect lol.

Boring old Ohio? Goodness, Ohio has a lot going on. I guess it depends where you are in Ohio.

I'm from New York (Albany - 150 miles north of NYC). Even where I'm originally from, it is very expensive and getting more so every year.

What kind of talents/job qualifications do you have? What hobbies and other activities do you like? Are you also looking for educational opportunities? These would contribute to where would be a best fit for you.

Boring old Ohio? Goodness, Ohio has a lot going on. I guess it depends where you are in Ohio.

I'm from New York (Albany - 150 miles north of NYC). Even where I'm originally from, it is very expensive and getting more so every year.

What kind of talents/job qualifications do you have? What hobbies and other activities do you like? Are you also looking for educational opportunities? These would contribute to where would be a best fit for you.

Maybe just because I've lived here my whole life, I take ohio for granted. lol.

I have NO clue what I want to do for a career. I plan on figuring that out soon, but I'm giving my self time to just relax and chill for now. (Just got out of a very stressful relationship)

I love art, I consider my self a decen artist. I'm about to get a tattoo of something I drew myself, actually.

I love animals, and specifically have a passion for pitbulls/rots, and getting rid of the negative stereotypes attached to them. (I'm getting a pit pup soon! Yay!)

I love doing hair, I actually went to beauty school for a few months but stopped because it was not the right school for me. Lots of ghetto, ghetto, ghetto girls and drama.

I also like tattoos, I've been considering that as a career too since I like to draw, but I know it's not the best money or reliability.

Check out Charlottesville, VA. It's right in the middle of a cultural potpourri.

It's a great college town, major medical/research center, music and art scene that rivals a lot of the bigger cities.

The cost of living is nowhere close to that of NYC, etc... A very eclectic environment. I love driving there for a day or two, especially on a weekend. The night life is pretty good.

My middle daughter lives there and is involved in music there. She is a bass player and drummer in different bands as well as working a flexible job that she loves.

It is roughly 65 miles west of Richmond, VA and only a two and a half hour drive to Virginia Beach.

The seasons are quite different from Ohio. The winter is a little shorter and not as harsh. It's also far enough from the coast that you don't have to worry about hurricanes.

Artists can make some decent money there also.

Anyways, just a thought and I think it's worth your time to investigate it.

It sounds cool! I guess that's what I'm looking for, a city with a little bit of everything in it. Ill google it lol

Edit: oh my god, Edgar Allen Poe lived there?! I'm sold.

Awesome. If you are into history, there is a ton of it there as well as the entire region.

I thought it might peak your interest. I hope you can get a chance to take a trip there and give it a 'test drive'.

NYC is the center of the universe as far as I"m concerned. It is a great city with lots to do and it's easy to get around once you figure out the streets/avenues and subway system.

Unless you're making big money, you'll probably have to live in Jersey or Connecticut, depending upon how far you want to commute and where exactly you work. But any city where

you can order takeout at 2am and they deliver is my kind of city.

I also love LA and lived there for about 13 years. Again, an expensive city, but if you look really good, you can stumble upon decent places to live for decent rent--decent for that area. And

the weather is a-mazing, especially in the winter when the air is the cleanest.

SF is the same--expensive, but amazing... it's like NY on the west coast. It has culture, it's exciting and it has a more community-oriented vibe than LA--LA is more individualistic.

Any other place, I can't endorse, sorry.

I just wanted to post and say to not move to NYC. I moved here 8 years ago from the South.

It is way too expensive and the salaries are not that great for the average person in comparison to your living expenses. You will always be struggling to make ends meet.

Quality of life is much better elsewhere even in a poorer city.

Sorry, I love Manhattan, but the truth is you won't be able to afford living in the city unless you have 3 roommates spending all your money on rent while living in a small, cramped apartment.

You are 19 and believe me you will not be living in Connecticut and commuting from there. My bf lives in CT and it is a very expensive commute because you will have to catch the Metro North or drive and that is a hefty price tag.

And for New Jersey, that means you would have to live in one of the closer areas which still means high rent and commuting cost.

At 19, you will only be making $7.50-$10.00 an hour ($10 is even unlikely)

It will only be worth it if you are going to school here and staying in the dorms within the city or sharing an apartment with roommates.

NYC is good for a temporary stay and for the experience....other than that, it's a lot of hype and this is coming from someone who fell in love with the city and moved here.

In Queens, I pay $1000 a month for a small one bedroom apartment and that's considered a steal where I live. I know the landlord and he knocked down the price for me.

So visit NYC as much as you want, but do not move here unless you will be attending school in the city.

Check out Charlottesville, VA. It's right in the middle of a cultural potpourri.

It's a great college town, major medical/research center, music and art scene that rivals a lot of the bigger cities.

The cost of living is nowhere close to that of NYC, etc... A very eclectic environment. I love driving there for a day or two, especially on a weekend. The night life is pretty good.

My middle daughter lives there and is involved in music there. She is a bass player and drummer in different bands as well as working a flexible job that she loves.

It is roughly 65 miles west of Richmond, VA and only a two and a half hour drive to Virginia Beach.

Thank you for this post....I'm thinking of relocating from NYC and what you described sounds promising.

If you are really getting a pit bull puppy, do not move anywhere like NYC. Dogs that size should not be living in an apartment, not to mention you will have a hard time renting with a dog. Some landlords consider the breed and size so you will already have that strike against you.

I don't plan on moving for atleast a year! And yes, unfortunately lots of apartments have restrictions against pits, rots, shepards ect... Stupid dog-breed-rasicts. Lol.

I hear great things about Austin, Texas. I haven't been there, but am visiting next month. My brother moved there for a job and he loves it. Apparently the city is growing from recent grads moving for work. So the job market there sounds pretty good too. It's artsy and cultural with tons of music events and tattoo shops. It's the most un-Texas like place in Texas, aside from the authentic southern BBQ.

I am near San Francisco, but would never live there. It would be very similar to what diamond78 said about New York. Unless you were going to school, you'll be living in a tiny apartment with at least 3 roommates.

I would love to live in San Diego, but I imagine it's not cheap there either.

I moved to Atlanta after college and honestly it wasnt bad. I left after 3 years for various reasons (which ill list in a minute). But there was always something to do there (always!) and it's artsy and musical but it's crowded!! I just came back from spending the weekend there and I did not miss the traffic and all the people. It's so congested in the city and te interstates are packed at all times of the day.

Wow I'm really not selling it well. Hold on.

There are tons more opportunities available in Atlanta than there are in my hometown, which is why I moved there. I was single and unattached and educated. I got a studio apt for $595, all utilities included, in a house that'd been converted to apts. there are a lot of those up there. I lived in Inman park/little 5 points, which is super hipster and artsy, crawling with tattooed people with different hair colors. Neighborhoods like candler park and reynoldstown are near that too. It is in the heart of the city too so near public transportation and a lot of stuff within walking distance. I never paid more than $700 for an apartment, and a lot of places include utilities. But still, $700 rent wasn't too ba for a one bedroom there (that's about normal rent in my small hometown too).

If you get near piedmont park or midtown it'll be a little expensive but a lot of neighborhoods near that cheapen out.

I moved away bc of the traffic and the crime. In 3 years, I'd had my car and my house broken into (I lived in kirkwood at te time, which is not a good neighborhood). But I had a lot of clients who lived in wonderful neighborhoods who had been broken into also. This was 4 years ago and idk if its better now but that's something to consider.

You could move there and get a waitressing job or something and live the city life and do ok but after a while, it'll be good to really "find" yourself if you want a career bc a place like Atlanta demands a lot of career driven people. It's a fast paced and competitive city but its a good one.

Also, if you get a pit bull puppy, be aware it's harder to rent. Do NOT get a dog if you are not prepare to keep it forever or if you would give it up bc a landlord or something made you.

My money is on Austin, TX. Cost of living is decent and they have a ton of things to do and it's more laid back than much of the Bible belt without all the downsides of either. Or as my friends who moved there say, "It's Los Angeles without the ugly attitude" and it has one of the best live music scenes in the company as well as a bevvy of tech jobs. Dell computers and Whole Food Markets both have headquarters there. If I were younger I would already be there since it sounds like a cool place and my friends and their teenage daughter love it there. Do not do NYC. My sister lived there for four years and it is expensive and crowded. The glamor you see on TV is about as make believe as it in Los Angeles where they don't tell you Hollywood is a ghetto of tattoo parlors, lingerie and wig shops and a free smoke clinic on every block. Ugh. Fascinating places to vist, but to live there--no.

I would love to live in San Diego, but I imagine it's not cheap there either.

I live in San Diego and I agree with you. Rents are not cheap here. Depending where you live, you could be paying $1500 or more for a one bedroom. The pay here is not that great either unless you are in the tech industry or a military contractor, etc. Traffic here is A LOT better than up in LA. Weather is nice and there is a lot to do. Lots of quaint neighborhoods. Food, on the other hand, there are more ethnic choices up in LA compared to SD.

Thank you for this post....I'm thinking of relocating from NYC and what you described sounds promising.

You're welcome. I really think it is worth serious consideration. You have the city, mountains close by, and the beach a reasonable drive away. Lots to do there and is a great environment.

If you check it out, let us know how you feel about it.

So I won't be living in a nice apartment, while narrating my own life, dating gorgeous men, and writing my column? Dang.

I'm joking lol. Yeah NYC is out of the picture now. Unless some amazing job opportunity pops up, but I doubt that.

LOL.... cute response. So many people think that NYC is going to be 'the place'. I guess it all depends on a lot of factors. I think that the biggest factors include your education level, the demand for your skillset(s) and your income. In NYC, most decent life styles require a good amount of money to support. That almighty $.

Whatever locale that you get serious about, investigate the statistics for those areas.

One of the biggest considerations for me is the crime rate. Some crimes are insignificant and do not seriously threaten anyone's security. But, violent crimes of any nature are the biggest red flag for me.

Check the sex offender registry's as well. Although the various locale's have different volume's of population, there are stats that present the ratio of type of crime (volume vs individual).

Virginia, being in the bible belt, overall, does not have the issues that existed years ago. Unless you are talking about a very small community, there are no longer the repressive local laws or groups deciding how everyone will live.

Above all, there will be varied opinions, some based on fact and others based on what they think it's like. In the end, it'll be your homework that will help you make the best decision for you. There will be a lot of good things to consider and that should help you complete your checklist of things to investigate.

Most of all, this can be a fun process. It's a lot of work, but it's worth the effort in the end. You have a full year to check out the possibilities.

It's a big country with lots of great places. It's what you want that counts in the end. The immediate wants and desires may not be what you will necessarily want 10 years down the road, so choose wisely. I moved around every few years and it was a pain to keep uprooting and moving on. That was a different situation. I did have the luxury of seeing a lot of this country and know that what you are looking for is out there - somewhere.

How far of a commute is from jersey to nyc? And do you happen to know what the average cost of living in NYC is?

I lived in Edison, NJ and I loved it. Depending upon what the Turnpike looked like, it could be a 20 minute ride to the Holland Tunnel/35 to the Lincoln Tunnel or 45 to the George, depending upon where on the island you needed to be. But the crossings can be hellish no matter what time of the day. It's always best to check the traffic channel before setting out so you're not stuck waiting an hour to get through a crossing. The area seriously needs about 4 more crossings into Manhattan.

If I took NJTransit and parked at Metropark, it was about 30 minutes on the local train and 20 minutes on the Express.

I don't know off hand what the cost of living in NYC is, but you'd better have a really nice 6 figure salary if you want to live on your own in Manhattan.

Crime-wise, every city has its crime, so it comes down to how you conduct yourself and educate yourself on staying out of areas that have a higher probability of crime happening. But I can say this: I worked an overnight shift for one of the networks located in Mid Manhattan which necessitated me arriving between 12a-2a, depending on the shift and I would take the train in. I never, ever had any problems either waiting for the train in Jersey or transferring to the subway in Penn Station or walking from the subway to my job in the two years I was up there. There is a huge police presence all over the place in the burrough of Manhattan. I can't speak for the other 4 borroughs at night because I didn't go there. I was in Brooklyn during the daytime and was traveling by car when I did.

What is really, really weird is that I met more of the nicest people living/working in the NJ/NY area than anywhere else, even the west coast. You'd think it wouldn't be that way, but in my experience NJ's treasure is its citizens. People will strike up pleasant conversation with you in the most random places. And the traffic thing is interesting because while it can be frustrating, thing is: everyone knows that everyone else is trying to get somewhere and it's not selfish, vicious traffic like down here in DC. Down here are the most nasty, snarling, selfish people I've ever come accross in my life. Ugh! I hate it.

NYC isn't for everyone. You have to have a certain "something" to live there. Most people who don't like it don't have it and really, shouldn't even try to live there.

OK, i have been to all 50 states, so I think Im qualified to give some input on this.

First, my personal picks would be Portland OR, or the Raleigh Durham area of NC. But thats just me. I prefer mid sized cities over big cities, like progressive cultures that are not pretentious, and enjoy mild climate.

Big cities like NYC, LA, SF, Chicago etc may have a lot to do, and plenty of opportunities, but they also have tons of people just like you fighting for those opportunities. And while these people may be interesting and energetic, they are also usually competitive and self serving because they all want to make it big in a city with a high cost of living. If you want to know how expensive it is to live in a city, go on craigslist and lookup housing prices. If you lived all your life in Ohio, they will blow your mind.

A more moderate choice would be college towns like Raleigh Durham, Charlottesville, Ann Arbor, and Austin. They have more progressive and vibrant cultures, and there is a constant influx of youmg people. Since they are not that big, they are not intimidating either. The cost of living is more moderate, but still expensive overall, as these are desirable places to live. Makes sense, right?

Above all, I would strongly suggest traveling around to these cities before making a decision to leave. You can drive to cities like Chicago, Ann Arbor, Indy, Pittsburgh, etc. That way you can get a real taste as far as how they compare. Do not base your decision on what you see in a TV show or movie. And if you cant afford to visit the place, then you cant afford to live there either.

Hope this is helpful.

Archived