I don't know.

iamkaylee

Just a rant really. Not sure where to put this so I'm sticking it here.

I was heading home from work today and some girl (early 20's) flew out of a parking lot and hit a guy trying to cross the road. She was texting. Really nice local guy, I see him out walking every day, I've talked to him a few times. Real high pedestrian area too. I stopped (naturally) and helped direct traffic until the ambulance/police came. The guy gets secured and loaded in the ambulance real quick and taken off. He didn't look too good.

The police started taking witness statements. A good half dozen people saw what happened and said the guy had no chance, she just plowed right into him. What's the girl doing? She's sitting on the curb texting. After the police interviewed us and got our information, they went over and talked to her. She's still texting away and when the cop asked her to put the phone down, she actually had the audacity to say "What about me? I'm about to have a panic attack. I've been traumatized and I need my BF's support right now."

What the hell is wrong with people today!?!?

The cops confiscated her phone and car as evidence on the spot and arrested her. I'm not sorry to say we all cheered.

A big thank you for a super job to the local police and other first responders. I hope the judge throws the book at that girl and I really, really hope the guy's going to be OK.

Yeah, it is depressing but it made me angry more than anything else. I really wanted to smack her. HARD. With some hard object. But of course you can't do that. She may have just killed this poor guy and she was completely oblivious to that fact. Be nice if they could give her a few hundred hours of community service to be done in the local trauma ER. Stupid cow.

Maybe smack her head into the ground a few times and say you didn't see her.

LOL I tried real hard to do that to the drunk idiot that said that when he ran a light and t-boned me and my bike. He was damn lucky I couldn't get up and get my hands on him.

I had my fingers crossed the cops would have an oopsie with "watch your head" stuffing her in the cruiser but no such luck. She'd probably sue and get off anyway.

Don't sugar coat it. I think beyond community service, she.should be phone less for a year.

OK I won't ;-)

AFTER she gets out of her mandatory minimum year in jail, phoneless for at least a year, no car for at least 5 years, 250+ community service hours in the trauma ER and then a mandatory brain / heart transplant cause she obviously doesn't have one now.

OK I won't ;-)

AFTER she gets out of her mandatory minimum year in jail, phoneless for at least a year, no car for at least 5 years, 250+ community service hours in the trauma ER and then a mandatory brain / heart transplant cause she obviously doesn't have one now.

That should do it! Though seems waste of good organs.

I saw a guy crossing the street get sideswiped by a woman on the phone one day....right outside my work place. Called 911 for him and was there when they came. Police did a s**ty job asking questions but I made sure I filled in his attorney when he came in to talk to me. I NEVER answer my phone/text in the car. I let it ring out, pull over when it's safe and call/text her back. Sure hope that guy will be alright.

How tragic and yet I read about these types of stories all the time. There is a commercial airing on one of the local channels, it shows a lady talking about how a woman hit her son while texting. They pan to her son in a wheelchair, paralyzed with a tube in his throat. She said the text said "on my way" and she wanted to know from the girl that made the text if it was really that important.

I don't think there are fines and jail sentences stiff enough for people like her. It's no different than tossing a few back and getting in the car. You are distracted and unable to drive your car in a safe manner. They should honestly lock her and people like her away forever.

This is just so awful. I can't tell you how many times I see people texting while driving, or on their phone chatting away. Every single day. Three times now I have actually seen drivers with laptops in their laps, typing away while in traffic! All of which is illegal here, but no-one cares. The world scares me ... or should that be, people scare me these days.

This is just so awful. I can't tell you how many times I see people texting while driving, or on their phone chatting away. Every single day. Three times now I have actually seen drivers with laptops in their laps, typing away while in traffic! All of which is illegal here, but no-one cares. The world scares me ... or should that be, people scare me these days.

It is awful and that's part of why I was and still am so angry about this. We have enough distractions while driving as it is, traffic signals, other vehicles, wildlife, kids screaming or fighting in the back seat, even the sun in your eyes or oncoming headlight glare.

This wasn't an unavoidable accident, it was pure I don't even know what to call it on the part of the driver.

He died for nothing.

Archived