Is a woman's ''biological clock'' nothing but a myth afterall?

You are certainly not the only woman without a clock. At age 5 I started saying I was never going to have kids and of course no one believed me. Now at 31 nothing has changed. I simply don't long for them. I do love kids and will always be around them thanks to a large family, but I have no desire to have my own. I myself have pondered a tubal ligation or a hysterectomy, but given the cost have not opted for either just yet. I think the key is to be absolutely sure that you're making such a decision for you and for the right reasons. It isn't about what anyone else thinks or expects of you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being childfree by choice.

Do not have a hysterectomy even an incomplete one. It causes a lot of physiological changes. A tube ligation is probably better.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Agreed. Don't have your uterus taken out unless there is a medical need for it ie cancers, tumors, or serious fibroids. A tubal is much better. With a hysterectomy, your hormones are forever screwed up. When your ovaries are removed too, you basically go headlong into early menopause. It screws up the shape of your lower abdomen too. So many side effects. Not worth it.

^ Agreed. Don't have your uterus taken out unless there is a medical need for it ie cancers, tumors, or serious fibroids. A tubal is much better. With a hysterectomy, your hormones are forever screwed up. When your ovaries are removed too, you basically go headlong into early menopause. It screws up the shape of your lower abdomen too. So many side effects. Not worth it.

Yup ,my mother had an emergency hysterectomy 33. They left her ovaries. But even so her hormones were a bit messed up. She was never able to get her muscle tone back from the surgical cut. She had loss of feeling around the cut. Plus she never knew when she was going into menopause due to the fact that she didn't have a period.

Do not have a hysterectomy even an incomplete one. It causes a lot of physiological changes. A tube ligation is probably better.

I did ponder a tubal ligation actually and decided that was the least appealing option, although I wouldn't say I've 100% ruled it out. Many of the women in my family have had them, some are happy and some aren't. I feel like if I'm going to surgically alter my system then I might as well be able to end my periods as well, they certainly aren't fun. Of course I've also known a number of women that had partial or full hysterectomies, some are happy and some aren't.

Regardless there are pros and cons to all of the options whether tubal ligation, partial hysterectomy, or full hysterectomy. One must adequately review each option, then decide, and then prepare for the consequences whether negative or positive. At this point in time I'm in no hurry to move forward, but at some point I will make a decision.

I would not go for a full hysterectomy at the age of 31. That will put you into full-blown menopause immediately. I am going into menopause now and I can tell you it is nothing pretty! You gain weight like a moose. You feel like an alien in your own body. Your skin ages almost overnight. Your hair begins to fall out. Do not go for a total one when my friend.

'Wanting to have a child is a natural desire for most women. Where would life be if it wasn't! That doesn't mean to say that we all have to have this same desire, of course. "

I sometimes ponder whether the lack of natural desire corresponds with a detrimental biological issue, like hormone issues, thyroid issues etc. whether diagosed or undiagnosed. I wonder this because i know some friends that have serious hormonal issues, and have since puberty, and they have absolutely no desire to have children. I sometimes think their is a mind-body link, where if your hormones are messed, it may affect things like libido and the desire to procreate and desire to be a mother.

I have never wanted kids, and have PCOS. When i was put on the Pill at 23, the hormones in the pill caused me to get really emotional, and i found that during that time I was on it, i seriously pondered having children. It was the only time in my life where i considered the possibility of being a mother without being turned-off

Archived