Anyone struggle with emotional eating?

If so, could you share your experiences and any thoughts you've had on overcoming it?

Ever since I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking every night of the week, about two years ago, I have turned to food. It's like one addiction for another. In the past, I could keep it at bay with regular trips to the gym, but I've got this recurring foot injury, which cropped up mysteriously about a year ago, that flames up when I use the elliptical or treadmill at the gym. So, instead of doing the bike or stairclimber and weights, I've just gotten lazier and lazier and stopped going. It depresses me that my body isn't working the way it used to, that I have an injury that prevents me from being active. So I'm being a little b***h about it and whining instead of doing what I can. I don't know why I can acknowledge this logically and still do nothing about it.

I eat when I'm stressed or unhappy. After a hard day at work or stressful time at school, I just want to come home, watch Law and Order or read my current book, and stuff my face with anything I've got around. In the past, I would have gone to the bar for a few Bloody Marys and half a pack of cigarettes. But I don't want to live my life that way anymore. I know I need to substitute some other type of behavior for the stress relief, but what I do now is so COMFORTING. It feels like giving it up would be a loss I can't bear.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

People always trade one addiction for another until they come to the crux of the matter. People need to love and accept themselves for who they are. Wherever you are at this point you should love and accept that person. That doesn't mean however that you should not change or grow. To grow is to live. And you need to love and accept yourself at every stage. Lack of acceptance and lack of self-love is usually the cause of most people's problems.

People always trade one addiction for another until they come to the crux of the matter. People need to love and accept themselves for who they are. Wherever you are at this point you should love and accept that person. That doesn't mean however that you should not change or grow. To grow is to live. And you need to love and accept yourself at every stage. Lack of acceptance and lack of self-love is usually the cause of most people's problems.

Agreed. You need to get to the bottom of it all and figure out where it's all coming from. Have you ever considered professional counselling/therapy? I'm sure it would be beneficial to you.

I've been thinking lately about going back to counseling. I've been struggling with depression. I know I've come a long way with respects to self-esteem, and I do feel that I love myself. But maybe I don't love myself as much as I should, or as much as is healthy.

I know it's coming from somewhere, that there's something I'm trying to stuff down. I've dealt with my childhood and all of that in past therapy, or so I thought . . .

I know for me this stress eating can happen after I talk to my mom, after a hard day at work, when I'm worried about money... Other then the mom thing it's not something I feel the need to go to councailing over. Hard days happen, you get through them and carry on.

As for self acceptance I think most people if not all struggle with this at some point in life. I look for what I like about myself and keep reminding mysel I am beautiful. I am women and my body is sexy, even with the fat and wisdom teeth that need to be pulled and scares and limps, it is sexy and beautiful. My limp (which I don't have every day but it creeps up often) is a struggle I face and it makes me stronger, I have experienced living in a wheelchair and it gives me more respect and compassion, which I love about myself.

Look for the positives, are you caring, compassionate, sensitive, giving, strong willed, experienced etc? Love yourself for that! And even if you don't believe it now, keep telling yourself you are sexy and beautiful.

Guess I had posted on the same some weeks back.. Thanks " Victoria "she had suggested some tips..Yeah its true love your self accept as you are..I do regular workouts too, but if am upset about something I eat alot mostly sweets..But then I suddenly remind myself by doing this am the one who is gonna fall sick, i notice the weight increase too ultimately am the looser..not sure whats disturbing you professional or personal?.am doin lot of meditations and trying to keep myself calm. and am telling myself this is what is "ME" most of the time I hear people telling am very different from others, I just cheer up and say guess people love me alot hence they keep discussing about me all time, invariably am giving some attention..so not my problem..Trust me its difficult but really not Impossible..

All responses given here are really so true..even its been helpful for me too

From personal experience I think emotional eating stems from trying to avoid the emotion and trying to stifle it with food or some other kind of addiction . I think you have to accept the emotion, allow yourself to feel it and work though it no matter how uncomfortable or painful they may be.

I do that too ! The times I lose weight usually is if I pick up smoking, it's ridiculous. I love to drink and smoke too but try not to because it doesn't do much good long term. The times I try to stop everything, not drink, smoke, eat healthier I feel annoyed and restricted, but that's when it's good to remember WHY you're doing it, because you want to have a better body. Remind yourself to care.

The others are right, it's about self love. I think anything we 'deal' with in therapy is an ongoing process, we don't just fix it. In my case I have found it's also about something rebelious in me where I don't wanna do what I have to do, wanna be wild and do what I feel..somewhat avoiding responsibility and choosing the bad thing rather than the good thing..cos the good thing is boring and conventional.. if that makes sense.

Thanks everyone for the replies. You've all given me food for thought. I guess I wanted to believe that I am "fixed" as opposed to needing to deal with the demons periodically, but it makes sense that therapy is an ongoing process. And I definitely eat because I am trying to stuff down the stress and anxiety, to avoid them. I'm just not sure how to transition from food-trancing to productive behavior. Like, in the moment. You know?

And I have realized that I am addicted to food. Also, what Quirky said about sort of being rebellious and eating cause I know I'm not "supposed" to definitely applies to me. It's the spoiled brat in me, my id.

Princy, I've been doing meditation too; do you prefer guided or solitary? It sounds like your method for dealing with emo eating is mindfulness.

Archived