Isn't it annoying if parents praise you too much?

Well not my father as he is more realistic but my mother can overdo it sometimes. Ever since I've been back to school last year and started another major, which is tourism and travels management (it involves management skills and administration courses too as well as some math...mainly), she has been telling everyone how I'm getting the highest grades and now is about to lie to them about me getting a scholarship, etc.

While I just want to keep myself at low profile and focus on finishing my career without making too much comments on it. She was like this too when I was studying psychology for 2 years and yet never finished it. I think the whole praising should be reserved towards the end: when I'm done with my studies and get my degree. By then I can show it if my relatives start asking about it.

Second: my grades are good but definitely not the highest of all (someone else is smarter but even so I still put my maximum effort and give it my all). My country has a different grading system ranging from 0 the lowest to 20 the highest. I'm somewhere between 14-17 which would be like a B average in the US.

Ok so she is more boasting to others rather than telling you you are doing a good job? Well, yes, that would be annoying. But there is nothing wrong with praising your child for doing well, ie telling your child you are proud of them. I tell my son every single day I am proud of him.

It's one thing to tell a child you're proud of them (yes my father does that at times too) but it's a difference to start exaggerating and lying about how I'm always getting the highest grade.

She told them about me earning a lot more in my job and telling others how the manager spoke to my former dean or speaking French perfectly and translating (I do know French but definitely not perfect nor I'm I an expert in translating).

I know she wants me to suceed but it might be a bit too much information given out. My father told me a similar story about this happening to someone else in the family too. A guy's father used to tell others who his son was an engineer and in the end, he never even finish his career and turn out to just be an average person.

It's one thing to tell a child you're proud of them (yes my father does that at times too) but it's a difference to start exaggerating and lying about how I'm always getting the highest grade.

She told them about me earning a lot more in my job and telling others how the manager spoke to my former dean or speaking French perfectly and translating (I do know French but definitely not perfect nor I'm I an expert in translating).

I know she wants me to suceed but it might be a bit too much information given out. My father told me a similar story about this happening to someone else in the family too. A guy's father used to tell others who his son was an engineer and in the end, he never even finish his career and turn out to just be an average person.

Ok then she is just boasting.

my father always behaves like this and i always feel that what i actually achieve isnt good enough.. by boasting and exaggerating my accomplishments he is belittling how hard i worked... I got an A in English and the rest of my GCSEs were Bs.. I was sooo chuffed with thos grades though but my dad tells everyone I got 12 A stars!! I did a diploma but my dad refers to it as a degree and he tells people that i had a high flying career when actually i was working as a secretary before I had children.. it drives me mad!!

Archived