Calling Other Vegetarians - What Do You Eat & What Supplements

I first became vegetarian a little over 30 years ago. After about 5 years, I became very physically run-down, and after a while chose to go back to eating meat. Since that time, I've had a lot more experience and gained more knowledge with cooking. Also, there is a MUCH greater range of vegetarian foods and groceries available to me. I reverted back to being vegetarian around 8 months. I had always wanted to go back to vegetarianism, but didn't put in the effort, partly because of what I thought would be a hassle of living with and cooking for devoted meat eaters. These last couple of years, it was getting to me more and more, and especially after I began practising a faith which does suggest vegetarianism. It's been so much easier this time. I haven't craved meat at all the way I did the first time.

Just wondering what other vegetarians might eat. I'm finding out more and more all the time. For example, I am feeling MUCH better when I eat my main meal in the middle of the day which might contain lentils. Then at dinner time, a very simple vegetable soup with a low GI bread, and a plain light supper - last night it was crumpets with a small amount of Picon cheese (used to go by the name of Happy Cow -is very light). Best breakfast food for me is porridge or muesli.

I've been drinking soy milk for over 10 years now, and read a lot of criticisms of it on ENA. I've never had a lot of it as it will give me gas, but this morning, I bought some organic rice milk instead to try. With the gas, I have been taking charcoal tablets prior or after to eating a dish with a lot of lentils in. This is okay for me as I take NO medications. I have been told by doctors though that charcoal talbets should not be taken by people on medication as it will reduce the efficacy. I have found that being vegetarian, I need to go easy on not mixing too many vegetables together. Apart from spending a lot of time on the toilet, it will give me stomach cramps.

The only supplement I have taken, but not of late is something called "Supergreen" which is recommended for vegetarians as it is high in iron. I'm certain it was iron deficiency which made me sick the first time I was vegetarian.

Right now, my health is good. My weight has remained around the same. I still eat eggs free-range and organic, but not a lot.

Just wondering what would be favourite foods of other vegetarians and what supplements you might be takiing or have taken in the past. Thanks.

I've been vegan for a few years now. I eat a ton of legumes and vegetables. Kidney beans, butter beans, chick peas, lentils, etc, usually with a vegetable/salad side dish.

The only supplements I take are vitamin B12, Omega 3s, and lots of Niacin (the flush kind).

If you find yourself getting run down sometimes, you might want to take a second look at how many "empty calories" you're consuming. Pastas, outmeal, muesli--etc. Grains in general tend to be high calorie but low value nutritionally. Cheese is also very much in this category also. It's one of the pitfalls of vegetarian diets which gravitate too much towards refined grains vs. whole foods.

I know you didn't ask for it, and I know you could care less, but...well... here's three good reasons why I refuse to be an extremist [black and white] when ti comes to my diet:

link removed

link removed

link removed

And one more, for the people on the other side:

link removed

The point of the matter is, the key to a healthy diet is moderation.

There are some "foods" that should be in the none category, but take a nice close look at what these items are: The "NONE" category includes Transfats, Sucralose[this is a PESTICIDE, PEOPLE!!!], Aspartame and...well, you get the point. That latter one, if raised above 86 F, produced methanol. Bad mojo...

I've basically drawn this line: On my list of those I will not date are single mothers, drug users, political fanatics, religiousites, and vega/taria/ns. In terms of order of increasing likeliness that I would not date someone, the list is single Mothers, poliicians, religiousites, and then it's a coin toss between drug users and vega tarians. Yes, I'd date a religious person or a political person before I'd date a vega-ite.

Best of luck to you on your diet, though!

Lonewing, very interesting links.

I'm kind of a 'vegetarian in moderation' person. I can count on two hands the times I've had meat over the past 17 years. For one year, I also stayed away from fish. Today I eat mainly vegetarian, but eat dairy products on a daily basis and fish about once a week, sometimes two. I try to use ecological products where possible and for the most part avoid farmed fish. I try to eat a lot of fruit, green vegetables such as spinach and green salads, beans, lentils and chick peas. For supplements, I take fish oil, iron, magnesium and a multi vitamin tablet. This set up works well for me.

Hey Thanks FF, I like most of those foods. And thanks too Gingerlemon. I would be getting some of the supplements you both suggest, but I will look further into what supplements I do need. When I was originally vegetarian, I used to eat the Sanitarium nutmeat and TVP. Even when I was a meat eater, I used to make vegetarian sausage rolls for my exes teenagers and their friends and they loved them. They didn't even know until I told them that they didn't contain meat.

Lonewing, only had the one child myself and he's grown-up so that doesn't make me an expert on bringing up children, but I'm surprised anyone in a so called First World country would exclusively breast feed an eleven month old child. Things have changed due to economic rationalism, but in those days, most mother's would take their children to the community mother and baby nurse who would weigh and measure babies and check their milestones, advice on the introduction of solids and immunisations.

Good luck in finding someone who meets your criteria to be date-worthy of you. I'm also one who believes you can never say never, but one thing I do believe for certain - Vegetarian men have much better tasting semen and sweet smelling penises. So as far as lovers go, a vegetarian man would be top of my list. Course there would be other things I'd take into consideration, but a vegetarian man would have a distinct advantage with me.

I'm also one who believes you can never say never, but one thing I do believe for certain - Vegetarian men have much better tasting semen and sweet smelling penises. So as far as lovers go, a vegetarian man would be top of my list. Course there would be other things I'd take into consideration, but a vegetarian man would have a distinct advantage with me.

Haha, I just had to comment on this. I eat meat like a champ, but I'm very aware of what fruits and veggies I eat as well to clean up my diet...and it works like a charm in the taste department

As far as what you should consume. Have you considered whey protein? Isolate is the best type of protein you can have, and it will help add a little variety to your diet. Vanilla with chocolate milk, strawberries and banana blended is amazing. If you exercise, creatine is also a great supplement since most of our dietary creatine comes from meat. b12 is always a good idea as again, it mostly comes from meat. Iron and Magnesium as mentioned are essential ,especially to women due to menstruation.

I agree with you that you were most likely iron deficient, that is very common in vegeterians.

I also wanted to address the empty calorie thing. Pasta is NOT empty calories. Complex carbs are are very essential to keeping healthy and energetic.

Aaaand finally, are you eating free-range/organics due to ethical reasons?

Vegetarian men have much better tasting semen and sweet smelling penises. So as far as lovers go, a vegetarian man would be top of my list. Course there would be other things I'd take into consideration, but a vegetarian man would have a distinct advantage with me.

Is it the taste of their semen and smell of their penises that puts you at the top of your list for a lover? That simple? I think you're reacting more to the validation of your choice to be a vegetarian (he gets me, he thinks like me) more than you realize.

Aaaand finally, are you eating free-range/organics due to ethical reasons?

Or is this the whole reason behind the Vega-tarian lifestyles in the first place?

Just think about this: when was the last time the Western world had a Famine? Like widespread, nationwide, THERE IS NO FOOD, famine? As "evil" as our producers are, they have given us unparalleled freedom to the point where we can discuss turning corn into ethanol TO POWER CARS. And now, we're buying prime farmland and growing HOUSES.

In the end, I think it's simply more reasonable to enjoy what tastes good, as it comes along, and simply keep a good moderate hand in control of the fork.

There are no ins and outs of it, slaughter will always be a very dark time and place for anything that is alive. At least we aren't shooting animals for sport and just leaving them to lay, though, because if we were coyotes, that's what we'd be doing!!

There are no ins and outs of it, slaughter will always be a very dark time and place for anything that is alive. At least we aren't shooting animals for sport and just leaving them to lay, though, because if we were coyotes, that's what we'd be doing!!

As much as I agree with you, people will have their opinions and that's fine. I know some people who witnessed a cow being slaughtered and couldn't eat beef anymore. It is what it is.

Long day at work, but great pay being a public holiday so I'm tired but happy!

I am vegetarian because I choose to be. I owe nobody justification. Same as my lovers. I choose, I have preferences which I can state if I choose, but I don't actually owe anyone a detailed explanation unless I choose to. People can conclude whatever they like. I know for a fact that I'm not the only woman on ENA who prefers the taste and smell of vegetarian men. If people are that interested, they don't need to take my word for it - they can do an ENA search on it - it's been discussed here before - since I've been at ENA.

The original post was asking vegetarian people what they like to eat and what supplements they take. I'm certainly appreciative of the nutritional information which has been given by posters.

About mixing different types of proteins, I do recall reading that a long time ago, but can't recall specifics about that. For a long time though, when I prepare a meal, my intention is usually to mix carbs with proteins - ie lentils (or meat in the past) with rice or pasta, couscous, etc. Would really be interested to know more about the types of proteins referred to as part of staple diets for some people. Thanks.

I know you didn't ask for it, and I know you could care less, but...well... here's three good reasons why I refuse to be an extremist [black and white] when ti comes to my diet

You provided links of people who conducted their diet poorly. You can just as easily find stories of vegans with B12 deficiencies as you can of meat-eaters who have excessive cholesterol. Such stories don't discount either way of eating. They just means hat you need to be smart about how your choices. If you choose to be vegan you need to research what you're doing. If you choose to eat meat you need to do so the same thing. Blindly eating a certain way without understanding the repercussions is going to get you in trouble regardless of the path you take.

Personally, I'm a vegan not for more or ethical reasons. I don't have moral objections to eating animals. I switched primarily because of the scientific studies. The China Study in particular was quite convincing.

Personally, I'm a vegan not for more or ethical reasons. I don't have moral objections to eating animals. I switched primarily because of the scientific studies. The China Study in particular was quite convincing.

I'll have to take a look at this study, because from everything I know being vegan is not very healthy. That being said, you're totally right. Any diet can be screwed up. If people don't do their research, they can do a lot of harm to their body. IE atkins diet. Such crap.

Silver - An incomplete protein is missing or does not have enough of the essential amino acids (ones your body cannot produce). Animal proteins are complete, while ones from vegetables are not, so you must combine them. If you're missing essential amino acids you will have troubles creating other proteins, lack energy substrates, etc. I am not sure on which vegetables you need to combine, but I'm sure there's lots of info out there. Definitely worth looking into.

I had a friend of mine (strength and conditioning coach) who went vegetarian for a month for the hell of it. He felt way more energized apparently, but ended up going back to meat anyways. Haha.

Unfortunately, my last post was deleted and just wish to say it had nothing to do with anyone on this thread. It made brief reference to a specific religious fath. I'm a bit disappointed as it did have what I thought were some relevant points to the discussion. What I think I can post without it being deleted or receiving further infraction points is that I'm an admirer of the work of an amazing American woman named Temple Grandin, an agricultural engineer and animal psychologist in creating humane designs and practices in slaughterhouses.

Hopefully not off topic since I am not a vegetarian but am close with a number of them (my husband is not vegetarian either) but I do have a question -any truth to the concern of giving male children too much soy protein/products? I give my son a veggie burger about once every 10 days as a protein alternative -he is 3- and otherwise so far he hasn't had tofu (not against it at all, just hasn't happened yet- I love tofu with steamed veggies).

Hi Bataya,

Truthfully, I don't know. Haven't actually heard anything specifically related to male children. The only thing I could compare to that was that I made my son and exes children vegetarian sausage rolls and pasties made from what sometimes goes under the name "Vegetarian Mince" which we buy at the supermarket and is made from soy beans. They loved them. Yes, I like Tofu too, but I need to learn more about which ones to use and when. I went to a Thai restuarant with my son last week and had a very nice dish made with Tofu, vegetables and green curry. It's a good thing though that your son is eating lots of vegies. Mine went through a stage at around 7 where I was pulling my hair out. He hardly wanted to eat anything besides vegemite and cheese on toast. He's grown up to be very healthy though.

I think it has to do with the effect of soy on estrogen levels but I'm not sure. I only know about vegemite from Men At Work lol. Yes, my son is eating his veggies although sometimes I hide them in other things just to make sure he eats them!

I think it has to do with the effect of soy on estrogen levels but I'm not sure. I only know about vegemite from Men At Work lol. Yes, my son is eating his veggies although sometimes I hide them in other things just to make sure he eats them!

Personally, I wouldn't feed my kids any soy at all due to the high estrogen levels. like I said before, nothing has TRULY been proven but I'd stay away.

Personally, I wouldn't feed my kids any soy at all due to the high estrogen levels. like I said before, nothing has TRULY been proven but I'd stay away.

I like to balance things like that because of the health benefits and the benefit of having him like a variety of protein-rich foods. I believe that some other foods contain soy protein so it's difficult to stay completely away.

About the high oestrogen levels, last year, I had full hormonal testing done to find out if I was going through menopause as most women my age are, and my periods had stopped. This turned out to be temporary, and I still have a normal period and have none of the hot flushes or sweating that other women talk about. No pms or pain/discomfort either. Prior to switching to soy though, I did have surgery for endometriosis (15 years ago) , but scanning shows that this has never returned. There was nothing mentioned about me having high oestrogen levels though and my doctor has recommended that I use contraception as there is still a possibility for me of pregnancy. I think that genetics are likely to have a role though. My grandmother had her 9th child at the age of 49 (she didn't have her first until she was 28). Almost immediately following the 9th birth, she was given a radical hysterectomy. I wouldn't think they had hormonal replacement therapy in those days, and it only occurred to me recently that photos I have of her with me when I was a baby, she was only 10 years older than I am now. Looked like a little old lady and more than 20 years older than I look. How can we know for everyone that the oestrogen levels in soy are harmful? It's said that for women in some Asian countries where soy is a regular part of diet, that they do not get the problems with menopause that western women get. Of course, it could be related to something completely different.

Silver - An incomplete protein is missing or does not have enough of the essential amino acids (ones your body cannot produce). Animal proteins are complete, while ones from vegetables are not, so you must combine them.

This is actually an old theory that has long been dropped by the scientific community. You can read an overview here: link removed -- however, it still gets tossed around to justify why eating meat is superior, for some reason.

All vegetarians need to do is eat a variety of vegetables. Just like anyone does, really, in order to get the levels of nutrition recommended.

I actually switched to a vegan diet due to the recommendation of my doctor. Although he's not a vegetarian himself, he recommended it due to my genetics. I have naturally high levels of cholesterol and uric acid. A vegan diet helps me manage those things without having to resort to drugs.

This is actually an old theory that has long been dropped by the scientific community. You can read an overview here: link removed -- however, it still gets tossed around to justify why eating meat is superior, for some reason.

All vegetarians need to do is eat a variety of vegetables. Just like anyone does, really, in order to get the levels of nutrition recommended.

I actually switched to a vegan diet due to the recommendation of my doctor. Although he's not a vegetarian himself, he recommended it due to my genetics. I have naturally high levels of cholesterol and uric acid. A vegan diet helps me manage those things without having to resort to drugs.

I don't see where it says that it's been dropped? They still say you need a combination. Incomplete proteins are still incomplete proteins. The article said that itself.

FF, I read the link about combining proteins. The example it gives is combining rice with beans. I would have thought that was in fact, combining a carb (rice) with a protein (beans). I work in nursing related employment and was working with a boy with insulin-dependent diabetes, and he had to follow a fairly exacting diet as far as balancing right amount of carbs went. With his evening meal, he always had something like rice or pasta as the carb. He also had servings of yoghurt (soy) after each meal as part of his carb intake. I have to admit that even with training from specialist nurse educators, I found the diet thing for him confusing and a lot of work.

I don't see where it says that it's been dropped? They still say you need a combination. Incomplete proteins are still incomplete proteins. The article said that itself.

It means that you do not need to "combine" proteins within a single meal. That was the old theory. As long as you eat the variety of foods you need over the course of a day, that's fine. It's not more of a "problem" for vegetarians, as the very same variety they need is the same variety everyone needs. While you might be getting a complete protein from eating steak, for example, you still need the essential nutrients and phytochemicals which come from vegetables and legumes.

It means that you do not need to "combine" proteins within a single meal. That was the old theory. As long as you eat the variety of foods you need over the course of a day, that's fine. It's not more of a "problem" for vegetarians, as the very same variety they need is the same variety everyone needs. While you might be getting a complete protein from eating steak, for example, you still need the essential nutrients and phytochemicals which come from vegetables and legumes.

Actually, I was definitely wrong on this one. You're right, it's an old theory. Apparently veggies just have very low quantities of some essential amino acids...so you just need to eat lots

Archived