How bad is it to go to prom alone?

Snowy

So my end of high school prom/formal will be in October and I don't think I will be able to find a date. I don't want to go with my ex either.

I don't even have a social circle outside of school anymore (because school has been very busy), thus I literally don't know anyone outside of school.

Some people are saying that it's fine if I go to by myself but it's probably just to make the guys with dates feel good. lol

I really want to go because I only get one prom in my life, but how much of a loser would I be if I go alone?

You have many months to look for someone. If you can't find someone, don't worry about it. Lots of guys don't go with a date and it's totally fine. They just have fun.

And you might not get to go to just one prom in your life. I know some guys who've been to 3. They graduate, find a girlfriend in senior year, go to her prom. They break up, he finds another younger girl in senior year, and goes to her prom. Though ideally, it's your year, make it shine.

^^^ I agree with this.

If you don't find someone, and you still want to go ... then GO!!! Have a great time! Who cares what others think. I for one who think it was pretty cool that someone had the confidence in themselves to go. I think that's fantastic.

Go, go, go!!

Good luck!

~dig

I went to my prom alone (well... I prefer the term "with girlfriends"). My boyfriend at the time couldn't go and didn't like the idea of going with a friend-date. So... I gathered my other girlfriends who didn't have dates and we all went together. It was fine. It was fun!

On a side note - I am willing to bet there is a girl at your school without a date. Why not ask one of the quieter girls or less popular girls? I bet they'd be thrilled to go with you.

I didn't go to my prom...not something that makes any bit of difference to my life. Remember that the prom is one evening. They will talk about it the next day or for a few days, then you all graduate and move on with your lives. Nobody past high school cares about the prom. People are too busy moving on with the next stage of their life. You can choose to go alone or you can choose not to go. If you choose to go alone, then you might feel uncomfortable when everyone is coupled up and dancing and you are alone.

On a side note - I am willing to bet there is a girl at your school without a date. Why not ask one of the quieter girls or less popular girls? I bet they'd be thrilled to go with you.

I'm from Australia, and the majority of high schools here are single sex schools.

I really want to go because I only get one prom in my life, but how much of a loser would I be if I go alone?

I appreciate that the prom feels significant at that age. Trust me, I agonized over it too. Ultimately I didn't go, and I only ever remember that fact when someone talks about proms.

Like most people, you won't be looking back at this part of your life as so significant that it "brands" you in any way.

I only graduated in '06. I don't remember who took a date and who didn't. It seems like such a minor point in my life now but if anything it's the friendships I look back on more than the fleeting romances. A lot of people brought a same-sex date who were just old classmates that moved to different schools. I didn't take a date myself, I didn't want any obstacles when I "tried" to dance with the hot teachers.

Archived