Can I wear bright colors to an interview...?

Allyo

Okay, so it looks like I might take a part-time job although I am looking for something else to complement it or even another full-time job. I need to pay bills and above all save money!

However, I have a couple interviews in the upcoming weeks, and I am curious to see what people say regarding interview dress etiquette.

For the interview for the part-time job I wore a grey pant suit with a black collared shirt underneath, black closed-toe shoes, and just a simple pair of earrings. My sister had reiterated to me time and time again that I had to stick to a suit and classic colors no matter how casual the setting might be.

The result was that I did feel very well-dressed for the interview, but I was definitely over-dressed. Maybe in a good way. The interview was set up with my future boss and his assistant at a coffee shop since they had several meetings there earlier that day.

Now for my upcoming interviews I am thinking about sticking to the grey pant suit but livening it up with a bit of color to make it a little less formal. I have a lovely magenta pink wrap shirt that I could wear underneath with maybe a little bit of fun jewelry or a hankerchief/scarf.

Would this is any way be interpreted as unprofessional?

I guess the message I would be trying to get accross is that I am professional but modern and dynamic. I don't want to seem boring and sleepy in all gray and black.

Any thoughts?

I might be over-thinking this one, what I wear just might be the LEAST of my worries

Thanks!

I literally just got back from buying a new black pant suit for formal situations at work (interviews, presentations, etc). I had 2 different shirts that tried on in the dressing room, to possibly put under the suit jacket: One was grey and one was a majenta pink. I ultimately chose to buy the grey one.

I don't think the pink would be considered unprofessional, but it just wasn't as sharp. I personally would rather look sharp than fun. I can dress fun and more creative on other business days. That was my reason for going with the grey.

It depends on what type of job this is and what field it is. You can't go wrong with conservative. "Fun" jewelry can look cheap or be distracting depending on what it is. If you choose the magenta shirt, I would button up the jacket so it shows just a little bit, and would go for conservative jewelry. OR you could go for conservative and the color would be a scarf. You want to convey an image that you are trustworthy and professional. It is more important that your suit fit you correctly and be of a flattering cut to you than it would be for you to be bright - check to see if the cuffs need adjusting, etc, to be perfect.

For job interviews, being overdressed is definitely better than being under dressed! In fact if you're overdressed, they will probably see this as a commendable trait as you have gone to the effort to present yourself neatly.

It definitely depends on the kind of job you are applying for. Personally, I don't see any problem with wearing bright colours to an interview. When I went for an interview with my current job, I wore bright colours and fun jewellery, I thought it reflected the person that I am - fun, bubbly and creative. But I am a primary school teacher so it kinda suited I guess if I were applying for a more 'serious' job I might tone it done a little.

Though I think there's nothing wrong with bright colours if you look professional and neat, and I would try to stay on the conservative side as well (shirts buttoned up, tucked in, no short skirts, etc). And in a job interview I guess it's better to be safe than sorry - if you're worried about how a bright blouse might be received, then don't wear it. Once you get the job then you can relax and wear your 'fun' clothes!

I agree with what everyone else already mentioned.

I also like dressing up with a pop of color, because I feel it makes me look more stylish. But I've kind of realized simple and classy/traditional is the way to go. White, grey and blacks are colors I recommend sticking to. Tan or brown can pass too. The reason being to come accross professional, but also not to detract attention away from YOU where the person is concentrating on what you're wearing. I read that somewhere.

But it does depend what job you're interviewing for. A creative job or job in retail may not require office/business attire, but I'd still wear a button up shirt, pants and closed shoes.

Either way, you can save the more fun attire for when you have the job or second interview.

Btw, here's an idea: how about accessorizing with a modern (dark) red handbag or other chic color? Nothing too bright, the darker the better I think.

Usually unless you are going for a power job such as executive, a complete suit is not necessary. I do recommend the blouse, clean pants or skirt - but please, no white blouse with black pants!!! Navy blue is another colour that is wardrobe safe, and not so boring. Usually you aim for a dress that would be worn by that culture of professional. You would look extremely bizarre in a huge power suit for a programmer or creative position when your boss is wearing a slogan t-shirt.

Usually unless you are going for a power job such as executive, a complete suit is not necessary. I do recommend the blouse, clean pants or skirt - but please, no white blouse with black pants!!! Navy blue is another colour that is wardrobe safe, and not so boring. Usually you aim for a dress that would be worn by that culture of professional. You would look extremely bizarre in a huge power suit for a programmer or creative position when your boss is wearing a slogan t-shirt.

Just curious, how come no to the white shirt and black pants? Or is it too "waiter" like?

Yeah it's too waiter like to me personally, and as a fashion conscious women - it is distracting. I mean, unless you are actually wanting that type of job.... Just be aware of the surroundings... Like if you show up to a restaurant interview dressed up like the restaurant waiter staff - you don't want to be confused or in any way compared to the waiter staff.

I always go with dressing better than the job you are applying for. The interview is a "special occasion." The only way I would wear nice pants and a blouse is if I were going for a job that required jeans like a warehouse job or an outdoor labor job - like a gardening center. Anything where you'd get your hands dirty. There are different styles of suits and I still think putting on a blazer, etc or a dress for a creative job is the way to go. But then there are creative jobs - graphic designer, working for a record label, ad agency - and then there are creative jobs - auditioning for the renn fair, applying to be an assistant tattoo artist.

I had a magenta colored professional dress. However, I wore a black blazer jacket over it and looked just as good as the school principal who interviewed me. I still got my teaching contract.

Pinks are feminine as long as you keep it professional. I also wore an emerald green business suit and got a job offer at another place. Key is STYLE of your outfits and how they don't reveal too much or are too flashy. But magenta you should be fine.

I always go with dressing better than the job you are applying for. The interview is a "special occasion." The only way I would wear nice pants and a blouse is if I were going for a job that required jeans like a warehouse job or an outdoor labor job - like a gardening center. Anything where you'd get your hands dirty. There are different styles of suits and I still think putting on a blazer, etc or a dress for a creative job is the way to go. But then there are creative jobs - graphic designer, working for a record label, ad agency - and then there are creative jobs - auditioning for the renn fair, applying to be an assistant tattoo artist.

It's fine to wear it if you have one, but I wouldn't recommend for any person to go out and buy a power suit for a non-managerial job that's something part-time. Well made suits are very expensive, not something from a cheap teen store like H&M that you pick up. It's probably worst to dress up like that even.

For the most part, you should be fine with any clean dress if it fits with what the company expects in term of dress for the job. Some sectors like Finance, Administration, Business etc... seem to expect a much sharper dress - but for the most part, you will still get the job without the additional blazer on top of the blouse or dress. If you start going the full-time career, or management route, then it may be a good investment anyways.

I usually wear black pants/ skirt and a red dress shirt. It's worked for me!

But honestly, as long as you look "polished" and put together, that's fine.

I have conducted a LOT of interviews and as long as the person looks like they made effort to "dress up" for the interview, that's fine. (I admit, when I conduct interviews to see who I will allow into my Co-op program, those students who show up wearing a full suit and tie, it puts forth the message they take the interview very seriously and really want to get in...versus those students who show up in jeans and a tshirt...)

So yes, just don't be slobby or don't wear anything too sexual and you will be fine.

But when I am teaching my undergrad students on how to dress for interviews, I do suggest the classic colours - black, brown, blue, etc.

Archived