What do you think of a pregnant woman in a bikini?

rocio

Your opinion please...  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion please...

• I am a man and I think it's gross/innappropriate/indecent/ghetto
    • I am a man and I think it's great, as long as she looks super hot
    • I am a man and I think it's cool, regardless of whether she has stretch marks, is overweight, etc.
    • I am a woman and I think it's gross/innappropriate/indecent/ghetto
    • I am a woman and I think it's great, as long as she looks super hot
    • I am a woman and I think it's cool, regardless of whether she has stretch marks, is overweight, etc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't participate in the poll because it doesn't quite cover the spectrum of possible responses. I'm indifferent to it, just as I am when it comes to matters of appearance. People have the right to wear whatever they want, and it's silly to judge based on what I may or may not find personally attractive.

I didn't participate in the poll because it doesn't quite cover the spectrum of possible responses. I'm indifferent to it, just as I am when it comes to matters of appearance. People have the right to wear whatever they want, and it's silly to judge based on what I may or may not find personally attractive.

I agree because ANYONE can be found unattractive or inappropriate for any reason anyone cares to make up. I just worry about myself and how I care to look and let others do and wear what they want because that is up to them.

I agree with this. I think people should get to do/wear what they want. That being said I do think its tacky for a pregnant woman to wear a bikini. Its what I think of as 15-16 year old girls who get pregnant wear.

It's interesting how the opinions are really split down the middle, for both men and women. I'm surprised, as I always thought it was fantastic when a woman had the confidence to wear a bikini while pregnant (especially when she has dark stretch marks, as that takes real confidence!).

It probably also depends on where you live and your local culture. In Brazil, it seems like every second woman is pregnant, and they're all in bikinis or skimpy summer dresses. I found it was like walking into paradise - such a wonderful celebration of life and beauty. Here in Canada, we spend most of the year in parkas. So I can see how it would be more shocking here.

I'm 8 months pregnant and I wear a bikini when I take my daughter swimming. I'm thin everywhere but my belly and my skin is in good condition, so I don't see why anyone would be grossed out unless they just generally find pregnancy offensive. And I'm not afraid of being mistaken for a 15 year old girl from the ghetto. I'm a 30 year old professional and I'm pretty confident in the fact that a bikini isn't going to take away my class and accomplishments.

This is a really interesting thread rocio. Its getting me to think about WHY I feel the way I do about pregnant women in bikinis. I think your idea of it being related to culture is spot on. For me personally, I have always been the type to cover up in public but behind closed doors I have a lot of naughty outfits. Like I said, I have always associated wearing a bikini when pregnant with teen pregnancy/(not calling your this!) stereotypical "white trash".

Damn, I'm going to be thinking about this all day now.

I don't think all of it is culture although I guess it is in a way because how we are raised is culture in a way. The other part is perception. I personally think pregnancy is awesome so that does not bother me. The second part is I have an incredibly non judgmental mother. She accepts all people regardless of colour,culture,orientation, anything. She is very accepting of others, so it really rubbed off. She always told me, be worried about yourself and how you want to appear, let others worry about themselves, that is their own business and has nothing to do with you. If you want to be accepted you have to accept others and how they are and want to be. There is no, right, just differences.

I think people assume that a woman who bears more skin, pregnant or not, is a woman who has confidence. Bearing skin and confidence don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. Some of the most unconfident women bear the most amount of skin because they are seeking attention. I am not saying that all women who bear lots of skin are seeking attention...what I am saying is that you can't conclude that a woman has confidence simply because she doesn't mind showing lots of skin.

I think people assume that a woman who bears more skin, pregnant or not, is a woman who has confidence. Bearing skin and confidence don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. Some of the most unconfident women bear the most amount of skin because they are seeking attention. I am not saying that all women who bear lots of skin are seeking attention...what I am saying is that you can't conclude that a woman has confidence simply because she doesn't mind showing lots of skin.

That probably applies more to a nightclub than a toddler pool.

I also believe that it's incredibly ridiculous that women are still not permitted to go topless in many places in North America (and in other developed parts of the world) whereas men do not suffer from this restriction. It's a horrible, sexist double-standard which is one of the last few glaring inequalities that still stand in regards to equal treatment under the law.

I mention this only because people seem to talk more about these kinds of issues when it comes to female appearance. eg, bikinis and pregnancy, while guys rarely get "questioned" like this at all.

I also believe that it's incredibly ridiculous that women are still not permitted to go topless in many places in North America (and in other developed parts of the world) whereas men do not suffer from this restriction. It's a horrible, sexist double-standard which is one of the last few glaring inequalities that still stand in regards to equal treatment under the law.

I mention this only because people seem to talk more about these kinds of issues when it comes to female appearance. eg, bikinis and pregnancy, while guys rarely get "questioned" like this at all.

I agree with you.

I might not find her attractive, but I wouldn't care what she was wearing. The same applies for non-pregnant women, and men.

I find it peculiar that there are people who wouldn't find a pregnant woman attractive. I understand not being romantically attracted but I would have thought most people would find it beautiful on some level.

I wonder if perhaps it's because we live in a society where beauty is so sexualized, and the ideal of what's sexy is basically an anorexic barely-18 look. So were fine with bikinis, as long as you have the body of an adolescent. But once you're a mom, please for God's sake, cover up because that's just so "trashy" and while you're at it, please go breastfeeding your baby on a toilet because woman's breasts only belong in beer ads.

I find it peculiar that there are people who wouldn't find a pregnant woman attractive. I understand not being romantically attracted but I would have thought most people would find it beautiful on some level.

I wonder if perhaps it's because we live in a society where beauty is so sexualized, and the ideal of what's sexy is basically an anorexic barely-18 look. So were fine with bikinis, as long as you have the body of an adolescent. But once you're a mom, please for God's sake, cover up because that's just so "trashy" and while you're at it, please go breastfeeding your baby on a toilet because woman's breasts only belong in beer ads.

Yeah, not getting that either, but whatever.

It's not that I think that skinny women are sexier than pregnant or overweight women. Just the opposite actually. it's that I think that ANYONE who is showign their breasts in public, whether through breastfeeding or a really low cut shirt, is part of what's ruining society and MAKING them oversexualized. Showing too much skin on anyone, male or female, pregnant woman or not, shows kids that it's ok to do that, and their skirts become shorter a few years later. To me it's the whole reason why the skirt-length rule in schools in the 60s was much longer than the skirt-length rule in schools now...b/c people kept pushing the limits and it became the norm eventually. I'm not ok with that b/c it's what keeps pushing our society to show more and more.

I’m fairly convinced that the main reason people have a problem with baring “to much” skin is that they associate nudity with something sexual. I find this a real shame because feeling free to be as naked as we want down at the beach should be a human right.

Nudity is completely contextual, sometimes it’s sexual and sometimes it’s not. There’s nothing sexual about a woman swimming naked. Where I live nudity is common, when I go down to the beach or local river I often see naked people. I don’t remember the last time I swam with cloths on.

There is no law in my country to say a person cannot be naked in public. Although there are laws around “appropriateness” .

I agree that it is cultural though. My parents are the same as me, pro nudity.

I do stress the point that nudity does not necessarily equal a more sexual environment and I challenge people that think like this to ask themselves why.

Over my life time I’ve sat next to hundreds of naked men and women and never once felt like it was a sexual environment. And no I don’t go to nudist camps! I’m not an exabitionist, I just happen to live in part of the world where nudity is mostly accepted and if I’m swimming I don’t see the point in having clothes on.

As for women being able to wear a bikini while pregnant, I think it’s fine. Although I also think it would be fine for her to be completely naked and walking with her five year old son hand in hand.

There is something very wrong with condemning nudity. The world has taken a wrong turn at some point although it does seem to be improving.

Oh and as a foot note I should mention I’m very much against sexual acts in public. I’m horrified at all the sexual stuff on TV and I do think our world is to sexualized.

In fact it’s so sexualized that some people think being naked "always" creates a more sexual environment.

Archived