college experience

Princess123

I loved my university. I like to pretend that if I could do it over, I'd go to a far cheaper school, but I know I wouldn't. My university has an excellent English program (what I studied), and I really believe that it was the professors there who are the reason I became the scholar I did-- and therefore the reason I'm getting my graduate school paid for.

I absolutely loved living on campus. I met a lot of people and learned to be on my own. It gave me independence and totally boosted myself esteem, it was amazing. My best friend (who has known me since we were 12) has always said that I blossomed in college. I'm sure that I would have had a good experience commuting, but for me dorming was absolutely the best possible choice. So many memories!

I have two options.

Commuter school living away from campus basically because right next to campus is not that safe, lol. 10 minute drive isn't too bad I just hear parking sucks! This has one degree that I'm interested in and costs $6,000-$7,000 a semester which I'm terrified of. This degree is teaching HS science with a special science teaching program.

The remote location of this other school is probably why it makes it under $3,000/semester. The apartments are very much closer to campus although no idea on prices yet. This one has a football team! The other doesn't and that doesn't seem like a big deal but sort of. This has about two maybe three different majors I would find interesting. It only has teaching MS science not HS. That would make me want to change my mind entirely.

My problem with student housing is that I have my own furniture and a lot of it, and all their apartments are furnished. From my knowledge at the commuter college, not sure of the other. I'm going to check out the farther one (2 hours away) next month, the area, and the apartments.

My dad would never let me do dorms or roommates he thinks its unsafe. I kind of became a royal queen and like living by myself.

My main goal really is I know living on campus would ideally be better, but is there a whole different experience between go, go, go, uni and an enjoy it uni?

The first year that I went to university was probably the best year of my life. I got lucky and lived with a dorm with a lot of great people. We all just learned to have fun together. I met my ex there and there was no way that I would've met her otherwise. She is still the nicest, kindest, coolest person I've ever met, but in addition to her my best friends right now I met through my college.

I loved college. had so much fun. I lived in the dorms which was great. I disagree with your dad - it isn't unsafe in the dorms. The biggest safety issues I would say are drinking too much at a party (usually off-campus) and then getting sexually assaulted. But if you are careful, watch how much you drink, things are fine. Most college campuses have security around at night, so it is safe.

I think you need to look at the costs vs. benefits. how much will you make when you graduate?

also - about the furnishings - I think you can inquire, but if you are bringing your own furniture, just let them know and they can "unfurnish" your room too.

I loved college!! Those were some great years. I was at a University and not a commuter college though. I lived in dorms for 3-4 years and lived in apartments that were literally a block away for my last year. I loved both options although one of my roomies at my apartment I ended up cutting out of my life for being an emotional vampire!!! lol

If you are still youngish like 18-25, then I say live on campus...If you are older, I would live on my own.

For costs I rather be stuck in remote town of nowhere. I don't want to be in debt in any way! Being in such a small town freaks me out because I've done it once and hated it. I didn't like that there were no health food stores around and I literally had to drive hours and stock up to get food. But there is a coffee shop, just one but it's there!

Depends on the career I choose.

Commuter school would be they say $50,000/year for the HS teacher, which in my opinion is awesome.

The farther one with the different options would be anywhere from $25,000-$50,000/year. The more you make comes with experience. That can't be good! I seen job offers on-line for this degree (of course with experience) up to $80,000.

To me even 2 hours is a big move and costs money. So if I move here it's like no moving back until I be done with school. But even after school I was thinking another state.

About to finish my last year. Hate the dorm with a passion and always have. I'm looking forward to being done with college but that's just me. Definitely do it for the degree if you know what you want to do.

I would leave your furniture at home if you move into the dorms. You probably won't have the room for it.

Go to the school that will give you the best networking possibilities in the area you'd like to pursue professionally, and has the best name recognition in the geographic area you'd want to work.

And dorm life is not all it's cracked up to be. Too many people living in too close proximity to each other--I'd never been sicker than the year I lived in a dorm. I could not get out fast enough and have my own place to study and shower. It made all the difference in how I felt, and I never felt disconnected from the campus as I always made sure to live nearby.

I agree MissIndigo. My college made me live in the dorms FOR ALL MY YEARS HERE. I am currently in a suite so while it's not *quite* as bad as the normal dorms (I get my own room and have to share a bathroom with only one other person, a friend) illnesses still spread like wildfire. In my freshie and soph years, I was in the "typical" dorms, a shared room with a roommate, and we both got sick about once a month. I am normally a very healthy person and I sanitized EVERYTHING but there was no stopping the flow of flu, colds, H1N1 (when we had it), stuff like that. I liked my roommate so that wasn't an issue but the illnesses, noises, smells....no thanks.

I think living in the dorm may be useful...for a year but no more. You learn a lot about human interactions and how to live with someone who you may not like. My first year roommate was a sociopath (hated people with a passion) and ended up dropping out. Fun stuff.

I think I'm going to aim for housing near campus. Although the ones that are "owned" by the university seem to have really bad reviews and bad maintenance and management etc.

I think I settled on finishing the next semester in this area because I still have my second part of science, my math I can do at a community college, and two courses I can take at this university. One of the courses will help me figure out if I want to do teaching or not. By the end of February next year I hope I'll have an idea on my career.

But as it looks I think I'm moving to remote nowhere as long as I like the area and university. I already moved over 1,000 miles to this state so what's moving another 100? This school is just a lot cheaper, its half the cost; it has a better science facility, more updated and latest things; it has more than one career for me to choose from; and I just have a feeling that is where I should be.

Commuter school living away from campus basically because right next to campus is not that safe, lol. 10 minute drive isn't too bad I just hear parking sucks!

You can always make sure there is a shuttle. Many colleges have shuttles for people who park further away. I had a shuttle service by my student apartments.

The remote location of this other school is probably why it makes it under $3,000/semester. The apartments are very much closer to campus although no idea on prices yet. This one has a football team! The other doesn't and that doesn't seem like a big deal but sort of. This has about two maybe three different majors I would find interesting. It only has teaching MS science not HS.

Student apartments are not cheap. By the time I left, it was costing nearly $700 a month. Cheaper for students to find 4 roommates and rent a house for $400-$500 a month.

You can always make sure there is a shuttle. Many colleges have shuttles for people who park further away. I had a shuttle service by my student apartments.

Student apartments are not cheap. By the time I left, it was costing nearly $700 a month. Cheaper for students to find 4 roommates and rent a house for $400-$500 a month.

yes, many universities have shuttles!

depends on where you go to school, what the average rent is. I know some places where $700 a month for a 1 bedroom is cheap!

Where I'm from, studios/1br can cost as little as $450-550, utilities included.

And before anyone asks, it's NOT in the projects or the ghetto.

I'm planning on getting one this summer. The official "student housing" is a rip off here. You don't even get your own kitchen (haev to share with others) and it's like $670. Screw that. So make sure to look beyond the normal "student housing" because they can rip you off and the houses can be in bad shape.

The $670 sometimes includes things like heat, electricity, cable, phone, and internet. If it does, then it's an ok deal. but having to share a kitchen isn't!

I would make sure to look at what is included when looking for apartments. also ask people what their average electric bill is in the summer and winter.

Yes, definitely ask about electricity. Although phone may not be included anymore, but cable internet MAY be included in student apartments.

If you have to pay for your own internet, research for the best deal and make sure that you have a proper cable hook-up in your room!

I was told not to do all bills paid because they control your electric and water usage.

My dad is in a mindset of me not having roommates BUT if he buys me a house then I can have roommates. Eh no sense, lol.

In this area you can get apartments in the nicer areas from $650 plus. They have student discounts from 3-5% and 10% if you go to the projects! I'm very aware to stay away from under $600 because that means a bad neighborhood and wrong kind of people live there.

(For farther away school) I was trying to find prices and it's nonexistent online I have to do some phone calling this week. But on craigslist I see like 5 listings! $400-$800 ($800 for house). Literally just one off campus apartment and three on campus apartments that have bad reviews but allow dogs. This dog will be the death of me with finding a place and paying deposits. Obnoxious that the ones I find an interest in are no dogs allowed.

Yes, around here, they have this one ridiculous expensive 1 bedroom campus apartment. It's $900 with you pay your own electric but you have a furnished apartment with a twin bed so many people have slept on. Ew.

I was told not to do all bills paid because they control your electric and water usage.

I've never had that experience in all my years! ..... hm.... scratch that. I've never had my electric or water usage controlled but I did live in an apartment where heat was included. however, the heat was so poor that I spent my winters freezing my ass off!

I know better, lol. As much as renting a house sounds nice I think I rather do apartment. It's safer anyways! The amenities and the fact that I'll more than likely be surrounded by other college students will be nice. If your in a house your in a family neighborhood usually but an apartment near the college its more of students, hopefully!

I hate this dog. I hate him! =/

The apartment 2 hours away school.

Okay I finally got an e-mail back and their ridiculous fees. If you don't do a lease 12 months and longer then they take $150 from your deposit.

The dang dog deposit is $300. NONREFUNDABLE. That is insane! Like throwing $300 in the trash. When you know all they do is pay $100 to clean a carpet. People's disgusting dogs ruin it for everyone! Then a $25/month pet rent? My dog doesn't have a job that is stupid.

Although the rent is only $500/month. Which is extremely cheap and I shouldn't complain. Still there are very few apartments there and this one doesn't have a washer/dryer connection.

I suppose not paying $700 a month, saving $2,100/year on rent justifies the deposit. I'd be saving $175 a month from what I been paying. I guess it cancels out to only be paying $500/month. Or $525.

Pet rent is a bloody rip off and apartment complexes know this. I have to pay $70/mo for two cats on top of my ridiculous rates, and my deposit was $500! I joke all the time I gotta put these cats to work, haha.

But unfortunately this is becoming more and more standard, especially in an overall tighter rental market.

Archived