Ex is lying about having a college degree

I broke up with him about 4 months ago and lately have been feeling quite sad and wishing for him to be back. However, yesterday something really hit me and now it is upsetting me all over. In June of 2010 my ex told me that he was about a quarter of the way to earning his associate degree. At the time, he was only taking 1 class a semester. Anyway, today I looked at his Linked In and see that he has changed his education status from "in progress" to listing the Associate degree and the dates attended at school What!!

I had caught him in lies before, but if he is indeed lying about having a college degree, this would just floor me. I am working hard and sacrificing to obtain my bachelor degree and it just makes me sick to think that he may be taking the easy way out and lying that he has a degree.

So do you think I am overreacting to think that because the degree is listed on his Linked In as being received, that he is a lying creep?

If this is true, all I can say is WOW!!. No way could I ever be with someone who would lie about such a thing.

Thoughts? Is he a major scumbag if lying?

Notice that I used the user name Dodge a Bullet because if he is lying I think that is appropriate.

I'm sorry, but there are more important things to be upset about than this. I'm not saying what he's doing is right, but he is working on it and is almost done. It's not like he dropped out and put that he has his degree. If small things like this bother you this much, then maybe it's best that you two aren't together.

I'm sorry, but there are more important things to be upset about than this. I'm not saying what he's doing is right, but he is working on it and is almost done. It's not like he dropped out and put that he has his degree. If small things like this bother you this much, then maybe it's best that you two aren't together.

Since when is being 1/4 of the way through the same as being almost done? No, it is not a small thing. He has lied about other things too. The point of my message is that, here I am being all sad about someone who I would never be able to trust.

Since when is being 1/4 of the way through the same as being almost done? No, it is not a small thing. He has lied about other things too. The point of my message is that, here I am being all sad about someone who I would never be able to trust.

well you did ask for opinions. i do think you are overreacting. he's a liar AND he's your EX. you are better off without him. choose to be done with it all.

I think I understand where you're coming from than most these other posters.....that being said. I too had an ex that is still faking his degree (haven't bothered looking in forever and will not bother looking but,....at least I know he was.). It's amusing actually. And yes I think it says alot about his character. Particularly what he is insecure about. When I see that he's lieing about stuff like that (he too lies about alot to make himself feel and look better) I find it very amusing. BUT considering he's my ex,....I can't say that I pay much attention to him and his things anymore. I'm so over it,..it's not funny. I'd never want to be back with him. I think you'll find you probably didn't even work out because of his lack of character and integrity. At least I did.

I have to agree with other posters in that,....it really shouldn't matter to you anymore either. If the break is fresh,...I can see why you're still paying attention to it. But it's better for you in the long run just to be amused that he has to lie about himself and leave it at that. You're not doing yourself any favors paying attention to his rediculous BS. Take it from someone who's been there done that and just quit looking at his stuff. It's much easier for you to move on when you do. I hope this helps a little.

If that was July - could he have gotten on course and finished the degree and gone full time after you broke up? Or was he 1/4 of the way from finishing? I know people who have done that. But I do agree with other posters - who cares what he does now. It is not up to you to police him.

lol... to be honest, it doesnt matter what he says on his linked.. if he applys for a job, they will verify his education status and degree..

but it shouldnt concern you .. it has nothing to do with you and dwelling on such things will on set you back from moving on.

Hey, thanks so much for posting this. The reason why I made this post is because a couple of weeks ago I broke NC and have been hoping that maybe we could have another chance. I was willing to forgive, but then when I saw this blatant lie on Linkedin, all of the crap came back to me again. Your post is great for reminding me that I am ok and that yes, I need to move on.

Amusing is the word about him. I keep telling myself that the best revenge is when I have my bachelor degree in hand and a good company hires me. I won't have to worry about looking over my shoulder because my degree will be legit.

And yes, this lack of character showed up in a lot of other things about him and is the reason why we didn't work out.

my ex has lied on websites claiming to be a self employed luthier.. hes not. i dont take offence by it though, i think he puts that on websites because thats what he wishes he was. ur ex might be doing the same, its easier to fabricate a perfect lifestyle online than it is to achieve in real life.

Amusing is the word about him. I keep telling myself that the best revenge is when I have my bachelor degree in hand and a good company hires me. I won't have to worry about looking over my shoulder because my degree will be legit.

yes, that's my main motivation, too. I can't wait for the day later in life when she wonders what I'm doing and finds out I'm earning 6 digits with job security and an amazing life ahead.

keep up the grades, the rest will take care of itself

I wouldnt stress it. I am sure most companies would do their homework. And if they dont he may have difficulty discussing his college life with his piers. Where I work there has only been one person that I know of without atleast a bachelors. She seemed intimidated and didnt last. I would actually laugh at this. If he gets a job because of it and they find out he will be in some pretty hot water.

Archived