Need Advice on Working Out:UPDATE/PROGRESS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the spirit, Beec! Just make sure you give your arms at least 48 hours to recover before you work them again. So, if you work out tomorrow, do another part of your body...I'm doing arms tomorrow, actually! eeeks...not exactly the strongest part of my body....

I will not be working out tomorrow, and certainly not on my arms. If I do, and I just might do this, it will be to work them very lightly to get some blood flowing through them, which has before helped with getting rid of the soreness. We are talking the equivalent of going to an easy walk when you are sore from running.

Right, that's also what my trainer told me - that when I'm really sore, swimming or some other similar exercise is actually good for me because it circulates the blood and basically soothes your muscles as they are recovering.

Well, today I do my arms, so I'll probably be in the same boat later!

That's awesome, Carter! Sounds like you gave yourself a really productive workout. Don't you just LOVE that feeling afterwards, when you know you put in your time for that day?? I'm actually on my way to the gym right now. I meant to go this morning, but had some work to do first.

So I'm off to do chest, biceps and triceps, plus my 20 minutes of cardio...may swim afterwards, if there aren't a million screaming kids in the pool.

I am hurting today, but not as bad as I expected. My biceps were really sore yesterday, but are not so bad today. Pecs and lats worse than my biceps, but it is livable and not worth complaining.

I love the feeling, after you have been diligent for a while, of absolutely killing your muscles in a work out, then waking up the next day and feeling fine. Must aspire to get back to that level.

Rowing is awesome, nothing, cardiowise, burns more than hitting the erg.

Well, I just got back and I can barely type. My arms feel like noodles. Definitely have to build up strength there. The guy who helps train everyone there was really encouraging to me today. He said a bunch of things like, "You have to kick your tail, because no one else will" and "Relax and concentrate, don't try to hurry through your sets/reps" that I am going to print out onto pieces of paper and tape on all my walls. I refuse to burn out this time!

I also am up to 20 minutes on the ecliptic machine, which is a milestone for me. The key is having really hard-driving rock music to listen to on my Walkman! It's very motivational and empowering.

Hey guys, I think we need to change the title of this thread. Any suggestions? Mine:

Workout Encouragement Thread.

Not too original, so if anyone has a better idea...

Wow Scout, you seem to be really into this fitness thing as well

Beec - I can understand your hurting, I'll be the same tomorrow!!

How often do you guys work out? Every day? Every other day? or what.

I am aiming at 5 times per week, week 1 (3x weights, 2x cardio) and week 2 (2x weights, 3x cardio) and so on.

Carter, here is a repeat of my schedule (I mentioned this in an earlier post:

A trainer where I work out gave me this routine to start following, based on a five days a week schedule.

Monday - Chest/Biceps/Triceps

Tuesday - Legs/Stomach

Wednesday - Shoulders/Back

Thursday - same as Monday

Friday - same as Tuesday

For each day, doing about three or four different machines, 3 sets each, 15 to 20 reps. He said concentrate on building endurance right now, then we can increase the weights over time.

Also, start off each workout session with 15 to 20 minutes cardio (taking Beec's advice and doing the eliptilizer/bike thing - I know I didn't spell that right - so that I can build on my legs), and then end each session with about 25 to 30 minutes swimming laps (my idea, for more defined shoulders and back, plus I just love to swim).

Thanxs for that scout, just curious as to how much excercise you do per week.

Yes changing the name of the post to Workout Encouragement Thread as you say is best.

The only concern mayby, as with any post, is that after a week/ or two, it might be difficult to find and update?

More on the topic of music...I was listening to Marilyn Manson and Primus on my Walkman...I like all types of music, but this was just really getting my motivation pumping! It's angry music, and I kept visualizing certain people who I basically want steamroll over right now. Terrible, isn't it...anyway...it sure makes it easier to work out and more fun! Does anyone else like music when they are working out and if so, what kind?

Yes, the gym i go to blasts rock music, and all of the latest cool stuff. Its awesome! with the right music i can find myself working for longer periods and having the ability to do more reps.

Music pumps you up and gives you energy to continue. Without having music i dont think i would be still working out to this day, it would just be too boring! I think that everyone should workout to their favorite music.

ok, i aint read all the posts as there is loads and im at lunch atm

But im going to the gym tonight and trying to lose weight as im going vegas in october.

I weigh about 10stone 7 and am about 5ft 11 wihcih i know isnt that bad but im size 34 waist and kinda big bum, lol

so basically i wonna go back down to a 32 and lose the fat on my *butt* lol

so ive been eating less than normally for eample, Lunch: Tuna Jacket Potatoe and Dinner: Chiken Salad or summit. With some mixed nuts (around a handful)

And im planning to mainly use cardio when i go to the gym such as *hiking machine thingie* *running machine* and prob rowing machine. Hopefully these will focus on fat burning? as thasts what im mainly trying to do until i get low enough to *tone up*

does this sound a good way of losing weight? as im 17 and every takes da piss outa me wanting to lose weight as i dont really look that fat (i wear baggy clothes) but i know i am and i would like to get to an ideal weight.

BTW i used to eat KFC and things nearly EVERY day so i think i must have a kind high matabalism to stay 10stone 7lbs eating KFC and MCdonalds everyday!

so salads and things will be a big changE!

Hello guys,

Well I have been mountainbiking today, just did 1 hr, a hard 1 hr.

I also think that listening to music also helps. I tend to like (at the moment anyway) the old Iron Maiden. More modern I like the EELS and ASH. I will also sometimes listen to dance music while at the gym. Helps get the motivation going.

toogle - I am the same height as you but weigh around a stone and three pounds more, 11st 10lbs. I am currently getting down towards my goal of 11st which is ideal for my mountainbiking. I'm not sure whether you want to loose more weight! Maybe you just need to reduce your %bodyfat, tighten up with weights and maybe put on some muscle to maintain 10st 7 lbs. I'm currently a waist 31in, just do regular situps and combine with a healthy diet and training schedule and you will also see results.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Carter, have you ever done single-speed mountain biking? That will really make you WORK. I don't mountain bike at all, but used to date a single speed mountain bike builder, and he said it's pretty strenuous.

I'm about to head out to the gym myself...I know it's only been a few weeks, but I swear I think I see a slight difference in my arms already!

If you really want to make your legs burn on a ride, there is nothing that beats an interval workout. Only nasty hills and climbs come close.

Warm up for a while, make sure you are ready to go hard. Then, when you are warm, ride as hard as you can for anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute. Then ride easy for for 1 minutes to 1.5 minutes. (I'd start with 30 seconds of hard followed by 1.5 minutes of easy.) You will not be able to keep up an interval workout for long. Your legs will feel like they are ready to explode. Make sure you rest the next day.

You can do the same thing with a rowing machine or jsut running, and I am sure the elliptical thing will do it too.

I did one running Monday, and my legs are still sore.

Scout - I assume when you say single speed mountainbiking that you mean a bike that only has a single rear cog? I have actually never heard of this before Gosh one of these would kill me going up the hills around where I live

I'm glad that you are seeing results, what better motivation do you need to continue going? I have started to see results as well, coming down from 11st 10lbs to 11st 7lbs in a week.

Beec - I agree with you about interval training. When I run on the treadmill or use the rowing machine I tend to go for the interval training. It is only when I go jogging 'outside' that I run at the same pace.

However because of the mountainous terrain where I live I do not use interval training while on my bike, you should see the hills! purpose built mtb tracks with various climbs up to around 5 miles long. It makes me sweat just thinking about it, especially with the very hot weather we are getting here in the uk at the moment!!

Anyway I have had a night off from training tonight, back to the gym tomorrow.

Imagine single speed biking in the Rocky Mountains out here in Colorado!! Ouch. I've just never been into mt. biking, but maybe as I build strength in the gym I'll give it another whirl.

I did something today I'm not supposed to do...worked the same part of my body two days in a row (legs). But I really don't feel any pain the next day after working my legs...and my back and shoulders still hurt from day before yesterday! My legs are just stronger I guess.

Anyway, just got back from the gym and I'm STARVING. Going to go make myself a veggie burger wrap with avocado and tomato. Yummers!

Wow, I just searched google on the net now for mountainbiking in colorado and it seems a very good place to go biking, you should definitely take this up to make the most of the beautiful area you live in.

Well me has been to the gym today, on my way out now, and on a day off to go mtb'ing tomorrow.

I just got back from the gym and am very embarrassed about how wussy I was today. I was working on my arms which are WEAK, and the trainer was trying to get me to finish my set, and I cried out I CAN'T.

How mortifying. Luckily, he ignored my plaintive cry and just made me switch to another exercise...and then a couple of other people in the gym cheered me on.

I will never, ever let myself say I CAN'T again!!

Oh, and I have decided to take a Jeet Kune Do class when I get back from vacation. It's a type of martial arts that's based on the techniques and teachings of Bruce Lee.

2004 is the year for me to PUSH MYSELF!!! I'm sort of scared about getting the crap beaten out of me in this martial arts class, but at the same time, I know it will help me face all my fears and add strength and grace to my physique. I'm just never taking my body for granted ever again, and letting it go like I did. I don't look "terrible" but I have been very lazy keeping it up, and good health is a blessing that should never be taken for granted.

Kudos to my fellow eNotaloners who are on a similiar quest!

- Scout

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back from vacation! Went back to the gym this week, and boy, taking a week off set me back a little. But I think I'm back to speed. How is everyone else doing with their exercise programs?

Yesterday, I looked down at my legs, and I swear I'm starting to see more definition in my leg muscles already! Yay!!