Need Advice on Working Out:UPDATE/PROGRESS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey ya'll! I was wondering, can I join this topic? Because, I do work out 3-4 times a week myself, not counting TaeKwonDo, baseball, track, or any other sport or physical activity I do. I really like working out, it's a great stress releiver and it makes my body feel great. And, it would be nice for a change to talk with some people besides my thirteen-year old friends, that have no clue what half the excercises, stretches, etc. I do are...

So...

hi Jsphsl4204,

Of course join in! No need to ask . How is your training coming along then?

I've been concerntrating on weights mostly this week, chest, shoulders and arms. Supposed I should go and do some cardio this weekend, probably some mountainbiking if the weather stays ok 8)

nice to have you join us.

Hi Ghost...actually, I'm in the process of determing a set diet, because I'm feeling rather weak at the gym lately. I don't think I'm eating at the right time or something. Remember, I'm vegan, so my diet is a little different. If anyone is curious about a vegan weight lifting diet, you can find a ton of information on link removed.

When I first started working out, I had a lot of energy because I was eating right. Protein shakes in the morning made out of bananas, soy milk, berries and ground flax seed. Little snacks in between main meals. Salads with avocado, seitan (a fake meat product made out of wheat gluten, rich in protein and delicious!) and other veggies, also veggie burgers and rice and beans. Asparagus - I love asparagus. Lots of good stuff, and I tried to eat a little more carbohydrates before working out for energy, and extra protein afterwards to help build the muscles.

But for the last three weeks I've been back on my crappy junk food diet again, or eating erratically - like not eating breakfast or lunch, then eating too much at night. And my workouts are shorter and less effective!

Eating right and at the right times makes all the difference in the energy you have working out, and the development of your muscles.

So, I gotta get back on the program, here....

Scout your eating wrong...eat 5 meals a day.

Here is how your body works...your body burns carbs, protein, and fat.

If you have low levels of carbs and protein, then your body starts to burn fat right away, this is a good way to loose fat, but remember your body needs at LEAST 50 carbs, 50g of protein, 14g of fat a day....this is just for your body to function properly, every person is diffrent tho.

Since you are trying to built muscle, you need to take in more carbs...If you have more carbs your body will burn carbs instead of protein, and thereforeeee your protein goes to your body, but yet again if you eat more carbs you won't be burning much protein and FAT...so you might not me loosing any weight.

Anyways since your a female, I suggest you eat 100g of protein, and 100 carbs.

breakfast (eat about 50-70 carbs, 20-50g of proteins )

afterworkout ( eat about 30-50 carbs, 20-40g of proteins )

lunch ( eat about 20-30 carbs, 10-20g of protein )

dinner ( eat about 10-30 carbs, 10-20g of protein )

late snack (eat about 0-5 carbs, 10-20g of protein )

There, make sure you eat your carbs and protein, and stay away from saturated fat, its 5 times harder to burn than normal fat.

There, that should help you out with your workouts. Tell me if I missed out on something.

Sorry for the barrage of posts here...but this is a great link for vegan recipes for weight-lifters:

link removed./viewforum.php?f=3&sid=2464535cd38b2933c878302adefce742

bon appetite!

I don't know scout...they seem rather expensive, and not to mension how to even find them at the store.

Hi guys,

If anyone is interested in a good book on working out have a look at abcd1234 recommendation

Chris Ryan's SAS Fitness Book

It really is a good book with lots of pictures showing different workouts. Thanks abcd

Hi theghost. Something interesting you say is that you consume the most carbs/protein for breakfast, which indicates to me that your biggest meal is your breakfast? Are you vegan as well as Scout??

Scout - I can understand the junk food thing, I have been there myself. Unusally lately I have been very motivated (doing something on a daily basis) but we'll see how long it will last!! Good luck and hope your motivation comes back.

Let me provide a few more details. I am definitely someone who needs eight hours of sleep a night, and if I don't get it, I don't even go to the gym. I'm noticing that when I start lifting weights, after about 10 minutes or so, I start yawning. I've seen a couple of other people do it, too. And I'm feeling energetic when I get to the gym and do my cardio.

I'm just wondering if I'm not "fueling" myself properly beforehand?

Some yawing is natural. One theory behind yawning is that you have an excess carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen in the blood. This happens if you workout. So it maybe natural.

But as what to eat. Your preworkout meal should be something moderatly high in carbohydrates, it should be too many calories, and it shouldn't be digested prior to workout (2 hours?). If you want an energy boost, diluted fruit juice or something high in sugars can be consumed with ample time to enter your blood stream (30 minutes?)

Maybe that will help. Experiment and see what works for you.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Here's another question: does anyone else start yawning when they are working out? If so, is this related to the eating thing, too?

Yes, I do, but no, this has nothing to do with eating...

Contrary to popular beleif, yawning happens not only when you're tired, but when you might need oxygen... For say, straining yourself and not breathing properly while benching that extra 20 lbs., or running that extra mile...

It's quite normal, though it doesn't happen to everyone...

Yes, I do, but no, this has nothing to do with eating...

Contrary to popular beleif, yawning happens not only when you're tired, but when you might need oxygen... For say, straining yourself and not breathing properly while benching that extra 20 lbs., or running that extra mile...

It's quite normal, though it doesn't happen to everyone...

Dang, too late!