Need Advice on Working Out:UPDATE/PROGRESS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well haven't posted on here for a while but I was just wandering how your training is coming along?

The nights are getting darker in the UK at the moment so I have been going to the gym more, even to do cardiovascular work. Been averaging around 3/4 times per week at the moment. Must try and eat more healthily though Easier said than done though!!!

Any updates?

Hey that is a very good pace abcd1234.

Is that road running? cross country? or a bit of both?

That's 2h50min pace for a marathon!! , ok a little bit longer....

A couple of my work friends recently ran their first marathon in something like 3h10min which wasn't a bad pace!! I was supposed to train and go with them but I have been having problems with my calves lately....which maybe wasn't a bad thing considering their time!!!

Well that was road running for about 3 miles on a road alongside the woods, then the second 3 miles was running back through the woods. So it was about half road, half cross-country.

I think that when im a bit older ill take a trip down to london and do the london marathon or perhaps ill do the great north run, i havent decided yet. Eventually i want to be running about 10 miles in an hour - that is my target!

What have you been doing lately CarterJ? Hows your training going?

abcd1234

My training is coming along fine. My biggest vice is pigging out on junk food some times.

I would definitely like to run more but have been getting major problems lasting for four/five days after training; thus is why I have given up on running at the moment. Perhaps I will make an appointment over the winter to go and see a physio to see if I am doing something wrong or if there is anything wrong with me!!

So at the moment I am sticking to soccer, mountainbiking and going to the gym. I am definitely getting more toned and fitter, although I have hit a plateau with loosing the 10lbs I had set as a target to myself. I know what I need to do to loose that 10lbs, change my diet, but am finding it difficult at the moment.

I think that it is very good that you have goals to aim for. I've heard that the marathon is a hard slog though, perhaps it would be better for you to run the great north run first before london? Btw if you can run 10m in an hour and taking into account fatigue and tiredness, then I am sure that one day you will be able to run the marathon in around 3 hrs, perhaps even less.

If you are having problems then you should definitely go see a physio and get their opinion, it would certainly be beneficial for you to find a solution to the problem so that you can get back into running!

I myself dont go mountainbiking that mucj but my cousin does and he seems to be benefitting from it a lot, where we like there are some great hills to tackle so he is able to set himself a new challenge every week. He'll say to me "Tomorrow im going to do that hill, then the big one, and then come home along that route", id love to give some of his routes a go but its just not me! I love footie though!

Keep working and even a slight change of diet can push you through that plateau, let me know how it goes!

I also think it would be best for me to do the Great north run first, i too have heard that the london marathon is tough! Im hoping someday to try and get into the SAS through 21 or 23 regiment (TA regiments) and i read somewhere that you need to be aiming at being able to run 10 miles in less than an hour if you are even going to consider thinking of applying! I think that someday i could do it if i stick to the training that i am doing now (gym, cv and running). I suppose that is my overall goal, i dont know if ill ever achieve it but ill definitely give it a go and wont give up without a fight!

What are your training goals for the future....apart from giving up on the junk food?

What is the minimum age to join the SAS. I've read that the upper limit is around 35 years old, I guess the minimum must be what? 21. Having something like that to aim for will definitely help you with the motivation. Do you do any other excercises that would help you such as swimming, hiking with a weightd backpack etc.

You have probably seen this but last year I think there was a really good program on BBC2 called SAS: Are you tough enough, where normal (albeight fit) people were chosen to go through a 'similar' training regime to that what the SAS do! If you haven't seen it try and get a copy - probably available on dvd by now.

As with my goals I would definitely like to run a marathon, just so I can say that I have done one. I work in an office and it is amaizing the number of people whom work there that have run a marathon! Apart from that I race the odd mountainbike race and play soccer for my local team. Although I guess a goal would be to play for my favourite team (Liverpool) and of course get their wages as well - but I can't see that happening!

Heheheh, i taped every episode as well as every episode of "Hunting Chris Ryan"..... im not sad, honest!

At the moment im just working on improving distances and timing of my runs but in the new year myself and a friend are planning to start going out with weghted bergens at weekends (only light ones as we dont want to injure ourselves at our age!). I think the minimum age is 21 or 18, but i still have a few years to go anyway!

Iv never actually seen a mountainbike race, i mean iv watched bit of them on TV but never really had the chance to sit and watch one all the way through, it must be great fun and a great workout!

I guess a goal would be to play for my favourite team (Liverpool) and of course get their wages as well
LOL, ill look out for you on tv!

abcd1234

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys where have all the posts gone! I have changed my approach to excercise. My original goal was to loose some weight, but lately I have been doing a lot of heavier weights and i look a lot more muscular, have lost some bodyfat (well according to the monitor anyway) but am still around the 12st weight.

I'm thinking of remaining at around the 12st range, not too bad for my height 5 11 ish and getting fitter.

Any more success?