Low urine output during extended exercise

Today I was on the bike for a little over four hours. I drank more than a gallon of fluid including gatorade and water. I doubt I expended more than a pint in urine output. Is that normal? Does the body just sweat it out during exercise? I've never drank that much and not had to go to the bathroom several times.

What are electrolytes and what do they do? I've never known. lol... I feel like the guy from Idiocracy.

eh, electrolytes are a fancy way of saying salts. There are a lot of ions in gatorade (potassium, sodium) that i think help with fluid retention. I bet if you drank 1 gallon of water, you would have peed it out much faster because your body is very specific in how much water it holds in, depending on the concentration of potassium and sodium.

i know many people feel bloated the day after eating a very salty meal, it's from water retention.

Today I was on the bike for a little over four hours. I drank more than a gallon of fluid including gatorade and water. I doubt I expended more than a pint in urine output. Is that normal? Does the body just sweat it out during exercise? I've never drank that much and not had to go to the bathroom several times.

Another aspect is how hydrated were you before the ride? If you weren't properly hydrated before the ride started your body will require more water. Always pound water the day before a long ride.

Archived