34 and has 3 roomates..bad? I think so

ImNotYourBabe

I met this guy he seems really nice. He told me that he has 3 roomates! They live out in LA. He just got done taking the bar exam for the 2nd time. He says he really wants to become a lawyer. I was shocked when he said that he was 34 with 3 roommates.. (guy friends) is this a red flag? He seems really nice but I'm not sure if this is a bad sign. What do you think? He wants to go out on Saturday for dinner.

It really depends on where he lives in LA. I have a 33 year old cousin who makes a good amount of money as a personal assistant. She lives in New York City and she has 3 roomates as well, and she still pays almost $1,000 a month for a room! Living in cities like that can be so very expensive that it might not be possible for him to live on his own, or like my cousin, he might not think it is worth it to have his own place yet.

From what I hear, the CA bar exam is one of the most difficult ones in the U.S.. It has a very low pass rate. It sounds like he is a student trying to better himself, and doing what he needs to do until he is more financially stable.

Rooming with 3 people seems much better than other options, such as living with his parents, etc.

IMO, it would be premature to rule him out based on such little information. You'll need to get to know him more and visit his home to make an informed choice. If his home is a party palace and he's 34, well then you might be concerned....

If it's a 1 bedroom house, yes.

If his mom drops by to do their laundry, yes.

If you and find 3/4 of them still in bed at home on a Monday at say 2 pm, yes.

Really the only way this is not a red flag is if they are shooting the movie Half Baked 2 or it's a really kick ass club house! I bet they've got a secret knock.

If it's a 1 bedroom house, yes.

If his mom drops by to do their laundry, yes.

If you and find 3/4 of them still in bed at home on a Monday at say 2 pm, yes.

Really the only way this is not a red flag is if they are shooting the movie Half Baked 2 or it's a really kick ass club house! I bet they've got a secret knock.

so you're saying this is a very big red flag? Your sarcasm isn't transferring very well. sorry.

If he got out of law school, that must mean he has a LOT of debt to pay off so that's something I would definitely keep in mind. It would be different if he was living at home (now that's a red flag). Does he have his own room?

Sometimes it's a choice too. I make enough to live by myself but choose to live with aptmates because I hate coming home to an empty place, I get too bored and lonely! That and saving money for a future house helps. I say concentrate on his apt lifestyle - do he and his roommates just play around all the time like college freshmen? Does he treat you well?

Because most people at that age have their own place. Usually college students have roommates. I guess?

In this economy?? I'm still living with my dad because I'm trying to get a career-based job and pay my bills! And also, there's a reason I live with my dad and not my parents. I wish it was due to a divorce...

Basically, there's a variety of reasons these days why people would live with parents or multiple roommates in their post 20s, many of which aren't the least bit shameful.

Archived