My BF is not a gift giver :(

maybe he's a big saver or a moderate saver and understands that jobs are here today, gone tomorrow but expenses are not.

On a side note, most well off people are savers. Some of the richest people I know don't bother getting cable as they think it's a waste of money.

The latest gadgets, expensive cars, 500 dollar sunglasses, the biggest house are usually things purchased by people who will not have that money for very long....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's stopping her from buying her own ghastly feminine accoutrements?

"I don't pay any bills here as I only make 35K so it's just enough to pay all my own bills."

He makes $80k. I mean, come on. He should be able to afford diamond-studded protein powder with money in the bank to spare!

(I should probably remove myself from this thread because I think I am letting my snarkiness begin to go too far)

My final words here: Look at what he does for you, not what you can constantly show and remind others of how great he is to you and how good your life is with him. If he is great to you, that is all that matters and you should be happy for that. Most people aren't a tenth as lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been an interesting read. Clearly you are looking for something that is short-term and your bf is looking for long term sustainability. Perhaps he just want to avoid becoming like what your exes did for you. After all, they still became your exes despite buying you all those gifts you wanted and showering you with love, care and concerns on top of those expensive gifts. You really ought to self reflect on what you want out of this relationship.

I think your bf is really a great guy and I feel so bad for him that you are posting on the forum seeking for advise on this topic! Different people have different aspects of Vdays, Birthdays etc. For myself, I do not deemed V day as important for the fact that if I love my gf, I would be able to buy her anything anyday I feel like it and not just on this particular day that I have to shower / express my love.

I am recently broken up with my gf and I think her mentality is just like yours. I am in no way a mind-reader and my terms of showing love and concern may be different from the way she had expected it. So if you think this guy cannot give you want you expect, then I think you should move on to someone who can and let this wonderful guy have a more deserving girl who truly appreciate the things he does.

I came on this thread, already thinking of how I might help you by sharing my own experiences. I love the whole process of thinking of something to get someone and seeing their face when they open it, and have a boyfriend I love dearly who just doesn't do that back. He has given me a gift once in the three years we've been together that was something he thought of, not a suggestion from a friend or my answer when he asks what I'd like. It's not what I'd ideally dream of, but I don't care, he is the thing that is important to me, not the gifts. I like the process so I just do it for myself in giving gifts to others how I'd like to receive them one day.

I cannot comprehend how utterly selfish you are. Your boyfriend sounds absolutely amazing. He has got you MEMORIES from a trip to mexico. My boyfriend cancelled our 5 day holiday to Norway at Christmas. Does that put it in some perspective?! He took a WEEK OFF WORK!!! You keep bringing up how much he earns, does the fact that that means he lost a fair amount of income for that week he was looking after you?! Buying magazines while you're laid up is an extremely thoughtful idea. So what if he got you a gift card instead of something physical, this time he decided that it would be nice for you to get to choose what you wanted.

You are possibly one of the most ungrateful people I've ever come accross, and I think you need to take a step back and reevaluate everything that has happened during the last ten months and realise how amazing this man is. If you can't do that you need to leave him before he wastes any more money on someone who just won't appreciate it because it's not what the adverts are telling her she wants.

• 5 years later...

Archived