Racial profiling in online dating

zzprometheuszz

Every Saturday I get my news from Times magazine, today is no different.

I came accross an article

link removed

that said "Asian males were excluded by 93% of white women with racial preferences in the Yahoo! profiles that U.C. Irvine analyzed."

being that about 90% of the population in the US is "white", does that mean I have to work harder to get dates now?

Behind computer screens and goofy usernames, people can clearly say things about race that few would say aloud in public

this is pretty discouraging

PS: there was a link to the article, i guess enotalone wouldn't allow linking. if you interested the article is called "My race based valentine" from times magazine.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No harder than you'd have to work if online dating didn't exist - women would still have these preferences, they just wouldn't have them written down.

I've not been on a site that allows people to search or eliminate users by race yet so I can't say how detailed the system is, but I do wonder if asian males tend to get left out because the common assumption is, they will clash on religious issues? That would be my main concern in dating someone of a different racial background. Perhaps these women are generalising because they feel it would be too time-consuming to try and pick out individuals of that race who weren't part of the stereotype.

this is surprising???

online dating is ridiculous and far from being indicative of real life. it's way more shallow than any kind of dating out there.

call me old fashion but try meeting people through friends and social events... get to know them.. and then date them. i don't understand the whole online dating nonsense.. you don't have a good opportunity to get to know the person.. so of course, you don't know them and they are going to be one-dimensional to you.

and i'm pretty sick of asian guys whining about not being able to date white women. what's wrong with asian women??? if only you would stop hating your race, you could stop hating yourself and feeling inferior to these white women. it's part of the problem too, believe it or not. if these "white women" don't want to date asians based on prejudice... then why do you want to date them? Seriously???

and i'm pretty sick of asian guys whining about not being able to date white women. what's wrong with asian women??? if only you would stop hating your race, you could stop hating yourself and feeling inferior to these white women. it's part of the problem too, believe it or not. if these "white women" don't want to date asians based on prejudice... then why do you want to date them? Seriously???

good point

I guess I am whining cause I am single and sometimes feels kind of lonely.

nothing wrong with asian women there, but you have no idea how easy it is for me to get a date in china with an asian women than it is in here.

seriously, this one time in china it took me 5 minutes to get this girls number, in front of my dad

good point

I guess I am whining cause I am single and sometimes feels kind of lonely.

nothing wrong with asian women there, but you have no idea how easy it is for me to get a date in china with an asian women than it is in here.

seriously, this one time in china it took me 5 minutes to get this girls number, in front of my dad

I really think that you're simply putting too much emphasis on race, and therefore that is how you're seeing things. I put up a dating profile a while back, and I got a multitude of men from different backgrounds, races, etc. Race was not an issue.

I don't that "white women" as a whole are picky -sure there are some - as I'm sure there are asian women who do not want to date asian males!

I think sometimes the media puts stuff up that will sell or get someone's interest.

and i'm pretty sick of asian guys whining about not being able to date white women. what's wrong with asian women???

Well, I can't speak for the rest of my fellow Asian guys since I personally do only date Asian girls, but I suspect they just want to broaden their pool since Asian population is low in most parts of the US and also because some Asian girls do not want to date Asian guys so that limits their available pool further.

Discrimination against Asian guys is not new, there have been quite a few studies confirming this disgusting racist phenomenon. So it's not like we're just making things up. It is a reality that sucks.

To the OP, I guess you have to be twice as good as other men to get a fair shake in the dating world at least as far as dating white women goes.

Well, I can't speak for the rest of my fellow Asian guys since I personally do only date Asian girls, but I suspect they just want to broaden their pool since Asian population is low in most parts of the US and also because some Asian girls do not want to date Asian guys so that limits their available pool further.

Discrimination against Asian guys is not new, there have been quite a few studies confirming this disgusting racist phenomenon. So it's not like we're just making things up. It is a reality that sucks.

To the OP, I guess you have to be twice as good as other men to get a fair shake in the dating world at least as far as dating white women goes.

oh i know. i'm not denying racism exists. i hate it when people do. it's just that, i don't see the point of wasting your time with someone who will refuse to date you for something that shallow...

Are we going too far?

Isn't this simply a fact that majority of white woman doesn't date Asian men and vice versa?

How did this article suddenly become a racism issue?

It's like saying some alien from outer space have an interest in human and they start saying we humans are racist for not reciprocating that interest.

Complete nonsense.

I think that there is a lot of discrimination in the dating world. People pretend to be progressive, but when it comes to picking a mate it is a different story. I'm white and have a few Asian men in "favorites" list on the dating site I use. I honestly did not pick them because of race, their profiles seemed interesting and their photos were attractive.

One thing I've observed during my short time in the online dating world, I'm apparently very attractive to black men. My home town is predominately white, but at least half of the men that have sent me messages are black. I have no problem with it, but it makes me wonder what it is about myself that makes this so. I'm curious about the whole idea of attraction, I have so little definition as to what I find attractive, but know there are people that have long lists of attributes as to what a person must look like in order to be attractive. I tend to be more attracted to minds with the physical being secondary.

oh i know. i'm not denying racism exists. i hate it when people do. it's just that, i don't see the point of wasting your time with someone who will refuse to date you for something that shallow...

I know you do not deny it, matter of fact I've seen you agree many times, but unfortunately as seen on this thread and other threads of this type, you'll see a lot of people still denying that racism exists or otherwise downplaying it. It's common for some people of the privileged race (we all know what means lol) to deny the existence of racism. If they acknowledged racism, then it's like they're admitting that they are privileged which of course they don't want to do.

Anyway, the fact that 90% of white women don't want to date an Asian guy makes the pool of available dates very small for your average Asian guy and that's the issue. It's like college admissions where we have to better than the other races to be on a level playing field.

My girlfriend is asian, and some of her male asian friends are dating white girls... to be honest, i guess it depends on country etc, some places do still get hung up on some kind of 'racial purity' type thing.

Actually, going to her country many older people seemed very dissaproving that she wasn't dating an asian guy... So i guess it works the other way too.

Long story short, some people are uncomfortable with race, it's perhaps unfortunate, but their choice.

Every Saturday I get my news from Times magazine, today is no different.

I came accross an article

link removed

that said "Asian males were excluded by 93% of white women with racial preferences in the Yahoo! profiles that U.C. Irvine analyzed."

being that about 90% of the population in the US is "white", does that mean I have to work harder to get dates now?

Behind computer screens and goofy usernames, people can clearly say things about race that few would say aloud in public

PS: there was a link to the article, i guess enotalone wouldn't allow linking. if you interested the article is called "My race based valentine" from times magazine.

90% of the U.S. population is not "white".Statistically speaking North Africans, Middle Easterners and large segments of the Latin community's United States population are racially considered white so the census numbers are often inflated. Compounding this is the fact that many minorities in the nation fail to fill out the census.So, no you shouldn't have any problems getting a date unless you are limiting your options to white women. I have read your past threads and it seems as if you are very concerned about white women finding you attractive as an Asian male.I am not sure why your are so concerned with that particular group of women finding you attractive but I can assure you that there are white women who date Asian men. The number may be small as I have quite a few white female friends and they, in addition to my Asian female friends, have voiced to me their unwillingness to date Asian men due to issues regarding attraction. However, they don't represent the majority of white women but in reality women and men of all cultures typically date and marry within their own ethnicity. OP-If it is your goal to find love you ought to be more concerned with your potential partner's compatibility on the grounds of love than on race. I do find it interesting that as you lament that white women don't find Asian males attractive you fail to consider the many Asian,Latina and African American women who may be interested. I do hope you find what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

That's not what the article said. Where did you get such a statistic about the US being 90% white?

There isn't a lot of Asian guys dating Caucasian girls to be honest. Mostly, it's the Asian girls with the Caucasian guys. It's how culture is. In some regions it's more accepting. It really depends in the area you live in.

You can't change an individual's preference. Someone is going to have a preference of dating a particular race or it does not matter. It does not make people racist at all.

Well, I can't speak for the rest of my fellow Asian guys since I personally do only date Asian girls, but I suspect they just want to broaden their pool since Asian population is low in most parts of the US.

Sorry... I have to call BS on this. It depends on WHERE you live. An internet community does not give an accurate statistic. Come to a city or high immigrant area, and you will find LOTS of Asian communities here in this country.

OP why do you need approval from a caucasian women to find you attractive enough to date? I'm a confident asian male and I date women of all race, they are beautiful in their very own unique feature and culture. We all have preferences brah and if they don't find you attractive then move onto the next. Keep your head up, be confident and you'll score yourself a fine lady.

Statistics are just statistics, I'd like to know where these people on the dating site reside, what background, etc.

Just as an example, say XYZ dating site had people from specific geographic location where there aren't very many number of specific group of people. I know for a fact if you take any big metropolitan areas, these numbers will be skewed. Few years back, Seattle was very popular with asian males dating Caucasian females. Or take states down south, you see many interracials couples.

I would take these statistics with grain of salt. It shouldn't be a reason to be discouraged After all the whole world is mixing, I truly believe in the next 1,000+ years majority of the people will be brown like one comedian said.

Check out the blog article on O K cupid.

There is a relatively recent one on racial profiling that is not difficult to find.

It shows a ton of statistics from a wide range of races and dating on that huge website. Very interesting and explanatory. Gives you a lot of factors to consider.

Archived