My little mans growing fast! He's also sleeping better and for longer now we've stopped following the routine in the books. My health visitor also said its fine. If he isn't tired then he isnt going to sleep.

He's a happy little man, giggly chatting, nosey. Partner for some reason was sticking his fingers in his mouth and found his bottom two teeth were poking out of his gums.

You can see them, but there not clear unless your looking down at them. And you can feel the sharp edges with your fingers.

Which part is the painful part? Going through the gums? (which he's past with one tooth at least) or just the growing part?

And how long does it take before the tooth is fully out? Should I start brushing his teeth now I can sort of see them?

It hurts till they erupt basically. How long a tooth takes to come in depends upon the child. My son has taken as long as 16 months for one tooth to fully come in. You can wipe them with a cloth after they come up. Never use an adult tooth paste or tooth paste with flouride in it wtih little babies or young kids cause they can swallow it and it is very bad for them, it is a poison to young kids. I used a tooth brush with my son as a toddler,but as a baby I used a cloth.

That is a cute stage

My little boy is nine months and has been teething since about 4 months maybe a bit earlier. But he was never a great sleeper since then! Not crying but jsut very moochy etc.

Anyway I find when he is getting a big tooth he gernerally gets a cold or the sniffles and more clingy etc. It affects each child in a different way. But I am defintly getting less sleep and he is more clingy with me when getting another tooth.

I am hoping this will pass soon and at the same time don't want him to get bigger too fast

My first boy flew by with his teething he had no problems

Good luck.

landon has just had two bottom teeth come through. He's a late teether. He started at about 3 months, but nothing ever erupted until 10 months. His doc told me to just wipe the little teeth 2 times a day with a cloth when they come through. I did go buy one of those little finger tooth brushes that slips over your finger and you massage their gums and can clean their teeth with it. It was only $2 and he really likes it when you rub his gums with it.

The actual cutting through the gums seems to be what hurts most. Once they have erupted, the growing part should not hurt.

When the tooth is pushing it's way through the gums they become hard, then more swollen and tender as it reaches the surface before erupting.

In theory, as soon as they have even one tooth, they can get a cavity. Like Catdancer mentioned, when they only have a couple of teeth I would recommend using one of those rubber finger covers or some gauze just to wipe the tooth. It's good to get them used to having their mouth cleaned. I didn't start using actual baby toothpaste or tooth brushes until my little one was older though.

I'm glad that he is doing well

Archived