I went to the clinic the other week and checked out fine for everything except my blood pressure, which was 137/94. I realize this is high, but I don't understand. As far as I've known, none of the people in my family have had heart problems on either side. I've gone to Walmart and done their free blood pressure checks over the last few years and it usually turned out normal or a little lower than normal, aside from two times - one I did right before a date and it turned up a little high, and the other time was when I had just had a fight with a girlfriend and that was of course high.

Anyway, I have maybe one cup of coffee a day and don't really watch what I eat, although I don't eat fast food every day either. I don't get dizzy spells or any of that, ever. Either way, since then, I started cutting salt out of my diet and eating more fruits, vegetables and unsalted nuts, but I still don't get how my blood pressure could be that high - I'm only 30, have no family history like I said, and I don't really eat any worse than many people I know who are fine. The worst I'll feel is tightness in my chest when I am extremely stressed, but ask anyone who knows me and they'll say that 99% of the time I'm the most quiet, laid back person they know.

Should I really be that concerned?

To be diagnosed with high blood pressure your blood pressure needs to be above 140 systolic on three consecutive occasions, so no, I wouldn't be too concerned. Lots of things can raise your blood pressure temporarily at any time. That's not to say you should go back to your old diet though. A healthy diet is always better.

Really? Why did the doctor only do it twice then, I wonder? She even gave me a printout with "Hypertension" in huge letters on it with recommendations for me to go back for a follow up and things to change.

This is one reason why I don't like going to the doctor - they put a scare in you, and while changing eating habits isn't a bad thing, I've been worried for the last couple of weeks about it. I think I'm going to pick up one of those home blood pressure kits after work and try it myself.

EDIT: I just remembered a co-worker of mine has all that stuff in her desk - blood sugar monitor, blood pressure monitor, etc., so I went to bug her. I turned out at 138/91.

I wouldn't bother buying a home kit - They aren't particularly accurate. An official diagnosis shouldn't really be made unless your systolic is above 140 on three separate occasions with at least a week between each reading (although, I'm talking about the UK here....it may be different elsewhere)......It's good that you've changed your diet but I wouldn't get too concerned or obsess over it. The doctor was probably using it as an excuse to promote a healthier lifestyle.

There are a huge number of factors that can affect a reliable blood pressure reading. Even something as simple as not having the correct cuff size can affect it. Out of interest, did your doctor do a manual reading or an electronic one?

I wouldn't bother buying a home kit - They aren't particularly accurate. An official diagnosis shouldn't really be made unless your systolic is above 140 on three separate occasions with at least a week between each reading (although, I'm talking about the UK here....it may be different elsewhere)......It's good that you've changed your diet but I wouldn't get too concerned or obsess over it. The doctor was probably using it as an excuse to promote a healthier lifestyle.

There are a huge number of factors that can affect a reliable blood pressure reading. Even something as simple as not having the correct cuff size can affect it. Out of interest, did your doctor do a manual reading or an electronic one?

She did a manual reading - that's the kind where they pump that ball, right? I've also started lifting weights for 1/2 hour a day and some days I'll go for a walk for an hour on top of that. I've also quit smoking for the last 1 1/2 months, so maybe it'll just take a little time.

Yeah, that's a manual BP. So, there's factors like how you were sitting, what you'd done the hour before, how good your dr's hearing is, how you were feeling, the cuff size, the age of the equipment, how good her/his stethoscope was......so many things. A one off reading isn't a major concern. By all means, continue making healthy changes to your life as that certainly won't do you any harm but try not to stress too much over the reading.

Yeah, that's a manual BP. So, there's factors like how you were sitting, what you'd done the hour before, how good your dr's hearing is, how you were feeling, the cuff size, the age of the equipment, how good her/his stethoscope was......so many things. A one off reading isn't a major concern. By all means, continuing making healthy changes to your life as that certainly won't do you any harm but try not to stress too much over the reading.

I guess that's true. Thanks, 15 Storeys. I'll try to put it out of my head and check again in a week. Maybe the stress of worrying about it is a factor as well.

Your blood pressure also change throughout the day as well. You could go back at a different time of day and have it be different. Mine is normally 110/70 or so. It has also been 94/65 and as high as 139/96 when I am in pain. So many things can affect blood pressure. Like Storey's said it takes more than one reading to know for sure.

Your blood pressure also change throughout the day as well. You could go back at a different time of day and have it be different. Mine is normally 110/70 or so. It has also been 94/65 and as high as 139/96 when I am in pain. So many things can affect blood pressure. Like Storey's said it takes more than one reading to know for sure.

So basically a high reading isn't necessarily the determining factor of a heart problem, but one of many different factors? I could possibly go home tonight and do a reading and wind up with 110/70?

Jeez, the way my family acted when I told them about it, you'd think I was going to fall over and die tomorrow.

They keep lowering the standards. The last I saw, anything over 120/80 was considered high. No joke. Sometimes I think it's just because they're trying to get everyone in America on medication of some kind!

Anyway, your sodium intake has a lot to do with it, too. Sodium sensitivity is the #1 cause of hypertension. Try to stay below 1000 mg. a day, which I know is kinda hard with all the processed foods we eat, but if you add salt to your food, don't. And try to cut down on the high sodium foods like chips, pretzels, etc. Calcium and vitamin D also help lower blood pressure, so make sure you're getting enough.

Also, exercise really helps, especially just plain old walking. Working the large muscle groups gives you a drop in blood pressure that can last up to 24 hours.

A heart issue contains MANY factors. It is not ONE thing only. Sustained high blood pressure is not good. However one reading is not enough to know much about anything. Many tests would have to done to determine a "heart problem". My dad had a heart attack at 39 and has high blood pressure his entire life. I do not assume I am going to drop dead tomorrow. DO not read up on the internet about it. If you get wrong sources you are only going to flip yourself out. If you are worried get your dr to check on a few occassions.

So basically a high reading isn't necessarily the determining factor of a heart problem, but one of many different factors? I could possibly go home tonight and do a reading and wind up with 110/70?

Jeez, the way my family acted when I told them about it, you'd think I was going to fall over and die tomorrow.

Hypertension can be serious if left untreated, but there are many, many things that contribute to heart disease, including hypertension, high cholesterol, obesity, etc.

There's no history of heart attack in my family, yet my grandmother, my mother, and now I have had hypertension since our early to mid 30's. We're not overweight or anything. My grandmother was skinny as a rail. She died of a stroke at age 78, but she had other health problems on top of the hypertension.

Hypertension can be serious if left untreated, but there are many, many things that contribute to heart disease, including hypertension, high cholesterol, obesity, etc.

There's no history of heart attack in my family, yet my grandmother, my mother, and now I have had hypertension since our early to mid 30's. We're not overweight or anything. My grandmother was skinny as a rail. She died of a stroke at age 78, but she had other health problems on top of the hypertension.

Exactly. My dad was like 130 pounds when he had a heart attack. He however smoked and had a genetic link to hypertension and heart attacks. His mother died of a combined heart attack and stroke and she had been on blood pressure medication and she was 90 pound soaking wet. Her eldest brother also died of a heart attack.

As far as salt goes I try to never eat anything prepackaged and I NEVER add salt when cooking and have not since I was 19.

They keep lowering the standards. The last I saw, anything over 120/80 was considered high. No joke. Sometimes I think it's just because they're trying to get everyone in America on medication of some kind!

Anyway, your sodium intake has a lot to do with it, too. Sodium sensitivity is the #1 cause of hypertension. Try to stay below 1000 mg. a day, which I know is kinda hard with all the processed foods we eat, but if you add salt to your food, don't. And try to cut down on the high sodium foods like chips, pretzels, etc. Calcium and vitamin D also help lower blood pressure, so make sure you're getting enough.

That's not too far off from my line of thinking.

I used to eat bags of chips and stuff at work and home, now I bag up celery and bring it with me instead and eat regular, plain oatmeal with nothing added for breakfast every day. When I feel like snacking at home, I eat these oatmeal, banana and pecan cookies my mom gave me the recipe for. In addition to working out for 1/2 hour every day, I hope that'll be enough. I don't really drink alcohol, either. A couple of times a week I'll have McDonald's but that's it. I quit salting my eggs as well. Staying under 1000mg of sodium might be tough, but I'll give it a shot.

My dad sits in the basement on the computer for literally 8-10 hours a day, smokes, doesn't exercise, and he has zero heart issues. My mom is a stress machine and doesn't exercise either, and she has zero heart issues. Hopefully the changes I've made will be more than enough to keep me healthy, then.

Exactly. My dad was like 130 pounds when he had a heart attack. He however smoked and had a genetic link to hypertension and heart attacks. His mother died of a combined heart attack and stroke and she had been on blood pressure medication and she was 90 pound soaking wet. Her eldest brother also died of a heart attack.

As far as salt goes I try to never eat anything prepackaged and I NEVER add salt when cooking and have not since I was 19.

It sounds like genetics must've played the main role in your family's health issues if his mother was on meds and still died of a heart attack/stroke.

Below 1000mg??? Really that low? Seems low anyways. Where did you hear this or read this?

I'm a dietitian. I see this all the time. Some doctors will tell you 2000 mg (about 1 teaspoon) a day and that's probably more realistic, but I shoot for 1000-1500 mg a day for sodium sensitive people, because there's really no way of knowing for sure just how much sodium most people get a day. They always underestimate it.

One thing is for sure: we get too much of it.

A friend of mine is the only girl in family with 6 brothers. Only 2 of her brothers lived to age 40--the others all died of heart attacks. The youngest was only 35 when he died.

I used to eat bags of chips and stuff at work and home, now I bag up celery and bring it with me instead and eat regular, plain oatmeal with nothing added for breakfast every day. When I feel like snacking at home, I eat these oatmeal, banana and pecan cookies my mom gave me the recipe for. In addition to working out for 1/2 hour every day, I hope that'll be enough. I don't really drink alcohol, either. A couple of times a week I'll have McDonald's but that's it. I quit salting my eggs as well. Staying under 1000mg of sodium might be tough, but I'll give it a shot.

You're going in the right direction. I'll revise what I said: shoot for 1500 and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't or if you see a slight improvement, try 1000. That might be more manageable for you.

You have to especially watch fast food. The worst is Chinese. If you knew what was in that, you'd never eat it.

A friend of mine is the only girl in family with 6 brothers. Only 2 of her brothers lived to age 40--the others all died of heart attacks. The youngest was only 35 when he died.

You're going in the right direction. I'll revise what I said: shoot for 1500 and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't or if you see a slight improvement, try 1000. That might be more manageable for you.

You have to especially watch fast food. The worst is Chinese. If you knew what was in that, you'd never eat it.

I love, LOVE chinese. I used to eat Panda Express twice a week. I'd think that with all the vegetables it was good for you?

But thanks for your advice. I'll try to monitor my sodium intake better. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Theres going to be a huge rise in heart attacks/heart disease through the next few decades.

Between parents raising their kids on 1000mg of sodium a serving chef boyardee and the popular trend of eating weight watching prepackaged entrees like smartones, weight watchers, lean cuisine to lose weight at the cost of eating 4 grams of salt a day.

Ive been cutting my sodium intake for the past 4 years...Hoping Im doing a good job. I strive for under 2500mg a day. Most days im around 1500-2000.

I feel like a heart attack for me is going to happen young so im trying to change my lifestyle habits to avoid one. Like cutting down salts and saturated fats. Cutting down caffiene and stress and trying to get cardio exercise in as well as eating more purple foods and green veggies

Archived