For ENA moms and moms-to-be!!

arwen

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took it too. I also know women who got the flu before they could get the vaccination, women in MY term. I heard it was really no pick-nick. Some of them were in the ICU Others just found this a heavier flu then it normally is, esp. on the respiratory parts. The thing is, the longer your pregnant, the more 'inconvenient' it is to get that flu. Each to their own. But I know that here in Holland, there is a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about (medically/biochemically/etc) making very wild claims about the shot. I took the advise of my doctor, and listened to my husband (who is a microbiologist/medical biologist).

Exactly Arwen, its ridiculous some of the wild claims flying around regarding the shot. I went to a birthday party for friends kid y'day and was telling some of the moms i'd got the shot and one lady in particular was shocked i had, my opinion was 'why wouldn't you get it done?'....

The thing is media hypes everything up and esp when it relates to pregnant women, I've heard women say 'well they haven't tested it on pregnant women so im not getting it' and i feel like shaking them and saying 'wth? they never ever test vaccines on pregnant women!!!! thats no reason not to get it!'

Bluntly put..id rather have the shot and live through it then not have the shot and risk my life plus my babys

I think a lot of expecting moms are getting nervous about the H1N1 vaccine. There is also a lot of confusing info out there. For instance, the Flumist version of the vaccine which is given intranasally, is not recommended or approved for pregnant woman. Only the injectable version is approved for use in pregnant women. I would imagine it is a tough decision to make with all the info coming from so many different directions . I had a hard decision when thinking about whether or not to have my toddler receive it, but ultimately after doing a lot of research I decided that he should get it. He got the Flumist version. Hopefully health care providers are giving pregnant moms clear and accurate information to go on when making this decision.

The flu scare has died down a lot here in my area, so i've decided not to get mine..even while i'm pregnant. I did get my seasonal flu shot in September..and i'm using all the precautionary issues such as frequent hand washing, hand sanitizer, using antibacterial wipes on my desk and using antibacterial spray on door knobs and avoiding unneccesary contact with patients. I just don't feel safe getting the vaccine..regardless of if I was pregnant or not.

I still haven't gotten my flu shot or H1N1, I never got a flu shot in the past. Not that Im against vaccinations I just never did. Anyway, my dr said "they" all recommend it, but he says either way is fine with him. I still haven't decided if I'll get either, but I am being cautious. We will see...I might get 1 or both at my next appt at 13 weeks which is in about 2 weeks!

On a side note - I'm 11 weeks today!! YAY! I have a lil baby bump, its so cute - I love it.

AC143 - congratulations on 11 weeks! YAY!

Im 23 weeks now, 24 weeks on friday so im excited.

Belladonna - your so right there is a lot of misinformation out there and people are very nervous. I think its wise to get the shot if your mixing with a lot of people everyday, using public transport, that kind of thing. Its also very sad that there is a lot of scaremongering out there too. I say if you have doubts as expectant mum then see your dr or midwife they should be able to help guide your decision

Hey ladies - well I've been in and out of the doctor's office and hospital and on bed rest when home because I am having signs of pre-eclampsia, but alot of it is borderline so they haven't called it that yet - I had a doctor tell me that a test I took showed borderline severe pre-e and I've had an assistant tell me I was just a nervous pregnant woman. I go back today for more test results and see where to go from there, which has been the story for almost a week. Thankfully I feel like I am getting good care from my doctor and the hospital and both my husband and my mom have been extremely helpful.

Also, thankfully I'm at 34 weeks today which is far enough that the baby doesn't need drugs to help develop his lungs and there is over a 90% chance that he will be okay if delivered now. The doctors are trying to weigh whether the baby is safer in my belly or out in the world.

I hope everyone is doing well - Ill check in when I can.

Awwww Molly, that is not great news. And surely it doesn't make you less nervous. Which surely won't get the BP down. Rest, rest rest and hope it will buy the baby some time inside. Are you still working? I hope not?

Reading this I think I should be happy with my low bp, even if it makes me feel so feeble and dizzy all the time.

Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated.

So doc said I do have pre-eclampsia but it is not severe enough to take the baby, YET. So I've been sent home with strict bed rest and a blood pressure testing machine to monitor my bp. If it gets over 150/90 I'm to call the doctor, other than that I go back to the doctor on Monday after Thanksgiving weekend. We just keep watch because we know eventually it's going to get worse and I'll have to have the baby, but the longer we can wait the better. If it hasn't gotten worse they will go ahead and induce me at 37 weeks which is full term - Dec 15, so I guess thats my goal date not my original due date 1/5.

One day at a time and just have to put my faith in my medical team and family.

Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated.

So doc said I do have pre-eclampsia but it is not severe enough to take the baby, YET. So I've been sent home with strict bed rest and a blood pressure testing machine to monitor my bp. If it gets over 150/90 I'm to call the doctor, other than that I go back to the doctor on Monday after Thanksgiving weekend. We just keep watch because we know eventually it's going to get worse and I'll have to have the baby, but the longer we can wait the better. If it hasn't gotten worse they will go ahead and induce me at 37 weeks which is full term - Dec 15, so I guess thats my goal date not my original due date 1/5.

One day at a time and just have to put my faith in my medical team and family.

Molly I had pre E too, it started with pregnancy induced hypertension around 33 weeks and became pre E at the very end, about 3 days before I was induced. With severely restricted activity, I was able to get to 36 weeks and 6 days before they induced me, (blood pressures were 150's/ 100's and my baby, though a little small (5lbs 10 oz) came out just fine, and so did I. They watched me very closely with weekly NST's and 24 hour urines, and once it got to the danger point they got her out very quickly.

Hope everything works out for you!

congratulations Lostlikeme!!! YAY!!!

Hope everyone is ok today, I've had a awful day, after a scare this morning, I couldn't get hold of my midwife and she still hasn't called me at home either and its now 4pm!!! I called her at 9 this morning.

DH took me to A&E in our town, they couldn't do a thing, couldn't reach a midwife for us either, so sent us to a town 20 miles away. We get there and its the worst laid out hospital ever, im serious, mat/delivery unit wasn't signposted at all. So I was getting tearful and very upset. Til someone very kindly showed us where it was, we got checked over and everything is fine but Im so not impressed with NHS here. We've decided to go private now for birth and care.

congratulations Lostlikeme!!! YAY!!!

Hope everyone is ok today, I've had a awful day, after a scare this morning, I couldn't get hold of my midwife and she still hasn't called me at home either and its now 4pm!!! I called her at 9 this morning.

DH took me to A&E in our town, they couldn't do a thing, couldn't reach a midwife for us either, so sent us to a town 20 miles away. We get there and its the worst laid out hospital ever, im serious, mat/delivery unit wasn't signposted at all. So I was getting tearful and very upset. Til someone very kindly showed us where it was, we got checked over and everything is fine but Im so not impressed with NHS here. We've decided to go private now for birth and care.

what happened, tiny? I'm sorry you had to go through that.

well i had some pains yesterday low accross my belly then by 9 this morning I hadn't felt the baby move for the last 24 hours so I called the midwife but of course she didn't answer. So thats when everything kicked off and we went to A&E then onto the next hospital. I have to say the staff at the delivery suite we eventually got to were great but Im sooooo mad at my community midwives. They still haven't called me to check if I got seen to.

Baby is fine and they said its because of anterior placenta that im not feeling baby kick so much but they gave me some advice and tips. Reassurance is what I needed and it took all that to get it.

Wow I would be soooo upset with my midwife or OB if they didn't call me right back in an emergency. I'm so spiteful I would drop them in a heartbeat and find someone that is more responsive. Sheesh they get paid big bucks to be there when you need them. Anyway, I'm glad it all turned out well for you TD.

Wow I would be soooo upset with my midwife or OB if they didn't call me right back in an emergency. I'm so spiteful I would drop them in a heartbeat and find someone that is more responsive. Sheesh they get paid big bucks to be there when you need them. Anyway, I'm glad it all turned out well for you TD.

No kidding! I'd be upset too.

Archived