Which class do you think would be harder?

MattW

The degree I'm going for has two calculus classes that are required for said degree. However, before I can take either one, I have to have taken either A) a Precalculus class, or B) College Algebra class and Trigonometry class. Now, I've already taken College Algebra, so taking Trig kinda makes sense. But is Trig pretty hard? Would it be easier to take the Precalc class, instead? Since I'm going to end up having to take Calc classes, Precalc seems like it'd get me off to a better start in that area, anyway.

But to be honest, I'd rather take which ever class would be a bit easier, simply because I'm a little bit behind on where I want to be in terms of how much progress I've made on my degree, so I'm taking more classes than I have been, and I'd rather not be loaded up with multiple classes that are going to be really rough on me, yanno? So I'm not trying to cut corners just to take the easy route, I just don't want to overwhelm myself with classes that are going to be too difficult to handle all at once.

In case anyone doesn't care to read all that, basically I'm asking this: which class would be easier to take, Precalculus, oor Trigonometry?

Easier depends on the individual. Some people might find trigonometry easier and some people would find pre-calculus easier. Do you need to take Trig as part of your requirements? If you don't take pre-calculus now and this is a required course before you take calculus then wouldn't it be better for you to take that now so you won't be behind?

Most schools I've known usually have college algebra as a prereq for precalculus and then precalculus as a prereq for calculus. Your question is difficult to answer because not all courses are created equal. Some precalculus courses may cover simply algebra and trig while others may cover a whole array of topics that have little to do with calculus.

All you really need to do calculus is a good foundation in basic algebra and trigonometry. I never took a precalculus course myself and I did fine in calculus. But really, you should make your decision based on the content of the courses.

An ideal prep course for calculus should include basic algebra skills such as solving quadratics, completing the square, basics of sequences and series, plotting polynomial curves, an introduction to the exponential and logarithmic functions, introduction to basic trig functions, plotting exponential and trigonometric functions, solving exponential equations, and solving trig equations.

I would look at the course descriptions and see which one matches better.

Good luck.

I'm tempted to ask why you don't do French, or History of Art, instead!

As others have said, it's a very personal thing as to which of your potential courses you would find easier, and you would only be able to decide for yourself having completed both! It would probably be more useful at this stage to see which would equip you better for your future studies - is there a tutor or lecturer who would be able to advise you on this, more specifically as to the course content at your particular college?

Easier depends on the individual. Some people might find trigonometry easier and some people would find pre-calculus easier. Do you need to take Trig as part of your requirements? If you don't take pre-calculus now and this is a required course before you take calculus then wouldn't it be better for you to take that now so you won't be behind?

Well, the two Calculus classes are what's required for sure, but the prerequisite for both classes is to either take Precalc, or College Algebra & Trig. I've already taken College Algebra, so I either have to take precalc or trig in order to be able to take my calc classes later on. I *think* I took a precalc class in high school (been kind of a while, though, so I can't quite recall), and I got through it alright, I think. I'm not too bad at math, I think, but I just have pretty poor study habits and that, if anything else, causes me to struggle.

Silly as it sounds, "trigonometry" just sounds really intimidating. I'm not exactly sure what it would entail that'd be different from precalc.

Given that you're mathematically inclined anyway, I don't see that trigonometry would pose you any problems. 'Tis a long time ago, and I'm an artist, but I don't recall having any particular difficulties with it.

If you're not sure about the differences between the two courses at your college, why not ask? Given that all colleges are different anyway, this would be by far your best course of action.

• 1 month later...

Trigonometry would be the easiest to take. Precalculus is suppose to be a combination of College Algebra and Trigonometry.

If it has been awhile since you've taken College Algebra (or if you took it in high school) I would highly suggest taking the Pre-Calculus class.

I never took Pre Calculus, but did take Calc I and II but they were hard! It was the Algebra that was hard, not the calculus. The Pre Calculus gives you very strong algebra skills which make Calculus much easier.

Don't try and rush through the math if you are not comfortable with it, and don't start a class that you are not prepared for. At least half the people in Calc I and II fail each semester at my school

Archived