What do you do with gifts from your ex?

I'm moving to a new apartment in a couple weeks so I'm packing up my stuff. I still have presents from my ex that I broke up with over a year ago. Some stuff I have no problem keeping because it's decorative. But he made me this shadow box for our 6 month anniversary that has all this stuff about our relationship in it. I had it hanging on my wall until we broke up, and then I just put it in a closet. Now I have to decide what to do with it.

We're not on bad terms...but I've only seen him once since the breakup. Mostly my doing. I'm not that interested in a friendship. We IM each other occasionally.

So I don't know what to do with this thing. It's pretty big, so I have to make a decision. I feel bad throwing it out, but I have no use for it now. My friend suggested taking the objects out of it and using it for something else, but everything is glued in there.

Ideas?

The rooms are bigger. It's just that I'm going from a building made as an apartment building to a Victorian home that has been split up into apartments. So it has oddly shaped rooms and only one closet. I could shove it in a corner. I guess I feel weird packing it, like it still has significance, and I feel weird throwing it out, like I'm being disrespectful.

I don't usually either. Like I said, I'm keeping the decorative stuff. This one was sentimental though. I didn't know what to do with a picture of us either...but I just took out the picture and used the frame for pictures of my niece. That one had a much easier solution lol.

I still have stuff from exes of 10 years ago.. It was nice stuff! Even if they are guys that I haven't seen for 5 years, the stuff I have reminds me of the nice times we had together. i have jewellry, clothing, all sorts of stuff,

I never understand why people need to destroy any reminders of exes, whether that be through gifts they were given, emails, photos, facebook etc.

I never like to lose contact with people I have met, exes or not.

I have some great jewellry that i will never get rid of.

What about things you can't use though? This will just sit in another closet because I'm not going to hang something like this up on the wall.

I still keep stuff from my ex's that I don't use, like old cards, drawings he made (he was an aspiring artist), etc., just for memory's sake. I also have stuffed animals he gave me. They sit in the back of my closet or in a box, gathering dust. But I likes keeping things around. Not that I will use them again either.

I think since you're on good terms with your ex, keep it. It's sentimental and it's not like he's out of your life for good on bad terms. It may be a nice reminder later down the road and if you get rid of it, you may regret it.

If you're not on bad terms with the guy i'd suggest keeping it. It's always nice to look back at something down the road. If you're having a tough decision about it chances are it's worth keeping. I'm still deciding on what i want to do with my box of "goodies" from over a year ago now...

It sounds like you should keep it.

Archived