kind of ironic considering that you cite your parents as the major source of your wealth.

Yeah, there's a GOOD question for you, yeawutever:

You say two people should only date if they're the same socioeconomic status. So, let's say I'm upper class. But I don't work, my super-rich parents pay for my apartment and my car and bills and I don't really do anything productive with my life. However, my parents are CEOs of big companies and my entire family is extremely rich.

Now, who do I date? An upper-class gentleman who has a nice apartment and a fancy car like I do? Or a lower-class gentlman who also does nothing productive with his life?

Call this an extreme theory, because it is. But I know MANY people my age who have everything provided by their rich parents, and they sit around and drink beer and smoke pot all day. So it's a possible theory.

This is all to say, where do you draw the line then? It's not as black and white as you're making it sound. And socioeconomic status has VERY little reflection on the quality of life a person is living.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok, so you haven't finished your college degree? and you expect a man with a college degree to date you?
No I will finish my college degree for sure, just that I took a break. And well I have a boyfriend already. He's working on getting a degree as well. So we're around the same.
I was on the top 10% honors graduate in high school and studied psychology for two years, but yes will continue it, just that I wanted to take a break. I like doing things at my own pace, not being rushed into it.

And I worked on a contact center where I'm earning a lot more than most of the people in my native country, Peru that is. But I still have two other positions available, either on telemarketing or a cruise. Now that cruise would be awesome as you earn more there.

I'm working on becoming a checkers champion and enrolling in martial arts classes as well too.

They all sound like fine achievements and I hope you go on to fulfil your ambitions.

However, you are not financially successful and whilst one day you may be, you may also fall on hard times like many other people in the world.

This is not meant to be insulting, though it is going to sound it. I really hope you use this comment to question yourself and your beliefs.

Your values are really not very good. Neither are your biases and worldview. I am not sure where you are getting these from but I think it would really be good for you to get out of your own environment and go and live in one that is completely new to you.

On this website, members are required to be respectful. I get the sense that had this been another website where the rules are not so strict, you would have been torn apart for some of your views here. I think even in the responses you have received you should be able to sense that most people are pretty appalled at the values you are expressing.

I hope you take some time to question your beliefs and value system because I feel it is likely to cause you a lot of pain and heartache in your future years.

A man with a college degree should never date a woman without one -- that's the way this works, right?
Yes agree to which I'm going go back to school and finished where I left at. I just like doing things on my own pace.

Not feeling like I felt on my senior year of high school. By the time it was the 3rd to 4th and our GPA's were already calculated and we knew we were on the top 10% honor me and some of us did nothing at all, no homeworks, no longer studying exams, basically we got bored with every course. We were just crazy to graduate already. But see nothing happened, I still graduated with honors.

So yeawutever...you love your boyfriend, right?

What if you did fall into some hard times (which melrich mentioned can happen to anyone), and you were struggling financially, and your boyfriend said, "Sorry, I can't date a poor girl. I think we should end this."

Given your viewpoint, you would have to agree and tell him that's only logical and you understand. Would you REALLY be able to do that? Or would you be heartbroken and a little confused as to how easily he could give you up over a little bit of money?

On this website, members are required to be respectful. I get the sense that had this been another website where the rules are not so strict, you would have been torn apart for some of your views here. I think even in the responses you have received you should be able to sense that most people are pretty appalled at the values you are expressing.
True I agree that it's because of this forum's rules the members are being respect even though to some I may sound shallow, which I'm not if you meet me in real life. Just that we all have different concepts and point of views towards people and life as a whole.
I may sound shallow, which I'm not if you meet me in real life.

I'm sure you are not and it is also possible the words are not coming out how you are meaning them to come out. But fundamentally, the values you are expressing are not attractive and if you live your life accordingly you are likely to clash with many people in your life.

So yeawutever...you love your boyfriend, right?
Yes.

What if you did fall into some hard times (which melrich mentioned can happen to anyone), and you were struggling financially, and your boyfriend said, "Sorry, I can't date a poor girl. I think we should end this."
I try not to really think that as there will always be back up money saved on my account but ok let's assume not even that works and I was to be ruined financially. Then I would work on my way to rise again.

As for my boyfriend, well as soon as I rise again and assuming that after that he wants me wants, I can say no thanks.

Given your viewpoint, you would have to agree and tell him that's only logical and you understand. Would you REALLY be able to do that? Or would you be heartbroken and a little confused as to how easily he could give you up over a little bit of money?
Haven't thought about it. He would say many times it's me he loves. But yea by the time I rise again, I say smile and reject him if he wants me back. Then it would be cool because I would be the dumper.
if you live your life accordingly you are likely to clash with many people in your life.
True which I always controlled myself when speaking in real life. Over here is a free forum where I can express what I would not in real life as it might hurt others' feelings and they can create a wrong concept of me.

If I were to speak it in real life then I would make sure the person thinks like me or has similar values.

i'm still trying to figure out where your bitterness is coming from. I have no bitterness toward poor people. I can be friend with them or give out a dollar if you find one on the streets.

However would I choose him as my partner and marry him knowing he was always poor and never did anything to improve? No, I would not. I was speaking in terms of dating and choosing someone as your potential partner for possibly marriage.

I have no bitterness toward poor people. I can be friend with them or give out a dollar if you find one on the streets.

However how I choose him as my partner and marry him knowing he was always poor and never did anything to improve? No, I would not. I was speaking in terms of dating and choosing someone as your potential partner for possibly marriage.

just realize that others may judge you just as harshly as you judge them. sorry, i'm not trying to sound mean here, and obviously you are young and have plenty of time left to accomplish your goals..... but someone can easily look at you and say, 'hey - this woman doesn't even have a college degree and she only has money because of her parents. she's not good enough for me.'

someone can easily look at you and say, 'hey - this woman doesn't even have a college degree and she only has money because of her parents. she's not good enough for me.'
Ok but this is why you work towards improvement and next level. I do have my work money and I save more in the bank than waste it.

But yea I never saw it that way. I'm well liked at work and almost anywhere I would go. Just that here on a forum is different than had a state that in real life. I'm almost careful when talking to people in real life. One of my friend for sure would not hang with me if I were to tell her all that so I'm careful with what I say when talking to people.

Ok but this is why you work towards improvement and next level.

This is something a person should do for themselves, not to make other people happy. And that's the thing...if a person is happy with themselves, and if they have good qualities and treat other people well, then the need to improve financially shouldn't be an automatic disqualification for someone looking for a potential mate.

Yes.

I try not to really think that as there will always be back up money saved on my account but ok let's assume not even that works and I was to be ruined financially. Then I would work on my way to rise again.

As for my boyfriend, well as soon as I rise again and assuming that after that he wants me wants, I can say no thanks.

Haven't thought about it. He would say many times it's me he loves. But yea by the time I rise again, I say smile and reject him if he wants me back. Then it would be cool because I would be the dumper.

My fiance did not stick with me way back when I lost everything because of medical bills in my family (including savings and investments). This was not a random hypothetical question, exactly, because this sort of thing happens a lot. People lose their jobs, get hit with terrible medical expenses, are sued... and a lot of people end up divorced or dumped because their SO won't stick around and watch / help you get back on your feet.

I interpret your views to be similar to those of arranged marriages. Has that been a practice in your family in recent generations by some chance?

If you dont want to date or marry poor then so be it. But some people ARE poor for a long time for varies reasons but bounce back. Others are poor and working towards middle class etc. You are ONLY 22, most guys you will date at your age aren't "rich" & if they are its only because their family is rich not because they earned it themselves.

My family was very poor & so is my SO's family. Me & my SO each make six figures so we are pretty well off, but he wasn't "loaded" when I met him & vice versa. What is really boils down to is ambition & goals. You should be looking for a guy that has those qualities.

how would that make you feel? if someone looked at you and said, 'the girl doesn't even have a college degree, not even an AA?!'
I'll work on my own pace toward my associated and BA and then go back to that person that mock and with the degree rub it on their face and be like ''What was that you say last time about not being good enough'' then walk away.

But yea you did made a point.

I interpret your views to be similar to those of arranged marriages. Has that been a practice in your family in recent generations by some chance?
Well I guess it's somewhat been installed mainly by my mother at times (dad sometimes but not as much as mom). It's been more than 5 times since she say how she would want me to meet and possibly marry to a handsome doctor or some professional that happens to be attractive or with blue/green eyes. LOL, she forgets I already have a boyfriend which now she's fine with it but I can still tell it's not what she wants. And no I want my own degree which I will get. I will not depend on a man nor would I want vice-versa to happen.

Her conversations bored me needless to say.

but by your own standards, you are not at the level 'deserving' a handsome doctor. to be on 'his level', you should have an advanced degree, as he does. not just a college degree.
Well see if you read my first post I did say a middle wealthy class be with someone on their level or slightly higher (meaning not much of a gap). In terms of degrees, as long as you have a degree you can be with someone with a degree (no matter which kind, it's still a degree) as long as neither of them depend on one another and can pay their own expenses.
ok, but you don't have any degrees just yet, except for a high school degree. and the doctor has 2 degrees, at least - a BS or BA and MD.
I'm ok with just working towards both associates and BA, then I won't go no more from there. I don't wanna spend to much time investing on school works nor extra years of studying where I can be doing other things at the same time.

Archived