Why lying sucks :(

looking4ward

This is actually the norm when it comes to online dating. People attempt to make themselves more attractive, they lie about things like age. Ultimately, many people feel that they have to lie to make themselves seem more attractive. It's kind of like marketing.

One girl told me she was 27 when she was really 30. I was 24 at the time (and she knew my age first). This was not even through online dating.

This is actually the norm when it comes to online dating. People attempt to make themselves more attractive, they lie about things like age. Ultimately, many people feel that they have to lie to make themselves seem more attractive. It's kind of like marketing.

One girl told me she was 27 when she was really 30. I was 24 at the time (and she knew my age first). This was not even through online dating.

Yeah, agreed. I'm thinking the online dating thing isn't for me. I know people lie in "real life" too but I don't really feel comfortable with the online dating anyway- cancelled my profile weeks ago

• 1 year later...

huge red flag for me. he's only 35 and shaved off 6 years!?

that honestly sounds very insecure. it sounds like he thinks he can get younger women by lying. I actually know a guy I dated in NY who's 35 and now I see him on a site saying he's 29. we didn't meet through the site, but through an event. He only wanted to date younger women-actually he thought I was 25 when we first met and pursued me. he never asked my age but I told him after the second date b/c I felt he should know (I also thought he might be younger than me! since he looked young) and when i realized he only really wanted a younger woman, he told me he probably wouldn't have gone out knowing my age, but still wanted to date me "casually". I walked away not b/c of that but b/c of his personality. realized he wanted too casual thing.

then recently I saw him online site lying about his age...really happy I walked out quicker. if he lies about that...what else has he lied about? his job? what next?

seriously lying about these things to make yourself look better is bad.

I met over 100 men in person through on line sites and I declined to meet many men because they lied about their age - including those who "confessed" in the text of their profile (they put a younger age to come up in searches by younger women). I knew I wouldn't marry someone whose values justified lying about his age and it would be a red flag for me as far as lying in general. I didn't lie about my age and I started doing the on line sites at around age 35 so I already was at a disadvantage by being honest about my age (I looked much younger) -- so that was another reason - if I was honest I expected the same of the other person.

Archived