How can someone make a remembrance page of a killer?

iwishiknew

Yesterday was the anniversary of the NIU shootings. It was a sad day for people in Dekalb. I found this link on my car forum and I don't understand how can a person can make a remembrance page of a killer? I don't get it? If I had a good friend who did something like that, I would never remember that person at all. I don't care if that person was nice and caring but killing innocent people is plain sick!

link removed

I think you might have a slightly emotional perspective about this. It reminds me of the people who post emotional comments on the various YouTube "9-11" videos.

People who do horrible things to others never wake up on any given day and proclaim their need to run rampant accross some school just to kill others. I see where your perspective is coming from, but I also see, too, how the most vile of people on Earth can still have ones who love and care about them. I see it everyday.

Disclaimer: This in no way indicates some sort of justification for their acts.

Why does this shock you so much? Were you involved in it somehow (i.e.- Did you know somebody who was killed during that day, etc.)?

For somebody to have done something like that they must have been very troubled and suffering in ways that nobody could possibly understand. So like debaser_wolf said, he was still a human being who suffered in unimaginable ways and who was pushed to the edge, and he was "still somebody's baby." I wrote a thesis on high school shootings like Columbine last year at uni and started to understand what a screwed-up society we live in when it drives people to feel so isolated and so tormented that they go and do horrible things such as this.

I'm not saying that I condone the killing of innocent people and that the murderers should be let off the hook, I don't think that at all, I'm just explaining why somebody may have made this memorial page and why it may mean something to a lot of people.

It reads like denial and disbelief rather than disrespecting the victims and their families.. But saying that if I was a family member who stumbled upon that I would be furious and seek to have it removed in all honesty.

I understand that they are suicidal but what I will never understand is why they feel the need to slaughter the innocent before they kill themselves. But I don't think anyone can truly understand why someone would do something that disturbing.

Alot of people seem to look at this negatively....but this is a technological age. People don't keep journals anymore. They don't write letters. They write emails and write their deepest darkest feelings in blogs that everyone in the world can see. It didn't seem like anything other than a way for her to deal with her loss. Because however it happened...she did lose someone. Her writing is just her way of dealing. I think that if the families thought about it at all they would understand all she is doing is remembering, dealing with the loss of a love, and trying to figure out if there was something she could have done to change what happened.

It was his long-term girlfriend that created that page. I can kind of see why. Now, most people would never do what he did, but if you really loved someone & been with them for years.. and then one day they did horrible things and then killed himself... that's a lot of pain on his SO. The girl felt for the loss of his victims, but she feels her own loss just as much. You can't erase all the memories of one person just like that. It's hard to imagine his close relatives & gf referring to him as a "good, loving person" when he did such a thing in the end. I can't explain it.

This person that did the killing did not make this page, someone who saw some good in him, someone that must of cared about him even if that love was diffrent, or un retruned she is still hurting.

I know if I found out my boyfriend today went and killed alot of people, not only would I be shocked and honestley pissed off... i would also be really confused and hurting and in pain. I would be in pain for the lives he took, and his life. I dont agree or dissagree about this page she made... its a way for her to heal. Publicly displayed was not tacktful, he hurt people, i agree there probley was a "better" way to do things. Just dont get mad because someone made a tribute to him, look at it as a way for someone to deal with her pain and confusion in this mixed up, she was not the one that killed, she was a victom as well.

This thread makes me quite angry actually. As another poster said, it was the killers girlfriend who made the website. My partner met the girl in question on another internet forum, related to GRIEF, and has been speaking with her recently about this event that took place.

This girl deserves to grieve, and if she wants to place a memorial page about him, then she should be allowed to. It isn't disrespecting anybody, infact, the poor thing lost some people she knew in the shooting. She wrote at the top of the page that it was not meant to be disrespectful to the others lost that day, she just wants to grieve her boyfriend. He was ill and he did something awful, yes, but at the end of the day she lost him too that day... why shouldn't she be able to grieve? She's been treated contemptuously by many people... people who have no place to treat her that way. Why should that be allowed?

She seems really lovely and normal, and is simply trying to get her head around what happened. Who is anybody to tell her what to do? She didnt know what her boyfriend was capable of, and the way she is being treated, you would think that she had helped him to commit the murders!

By the way, i am not condoning the murders, if you think i am, you're entirely missing my point. I am simply supporting this poor girl's right to grieve the man she loved, the man she thought she knew, and the man she lost.

Archived