The uni I applied for offered me a place knowing I'm not meeting the requirements

Good evening,

If you're from the UK you know that to apply for university, it has to be done online by UCAS. UCAS is an online system that lets you upload all your details such as address, grades, personal statement etc .. that can be sent straight to your top 5 choice of universities so that tutors can read and see if you're elegible for the degree. I only picked 3 choices because thery were the courses I wanted and nothing else seemed interesting enough but I was advised to pick 2 more as back up.

I picked one knowing I might get rejected because I don't have a C grade at GCSE maths, it's the only GCSE I failed misrable with a F. This is a requirement they asked for.

However when I check my online application it said 'Conditional' meaning I have been offered a place and then they sent me a letter 2 days later confirming I have been offered a place. Yet it states on the letter I need a GCSE C in Maths ... so the 2 days before the letter came I got so excited that I told my friends & family!

They can view all my grades knowing what they are yet they gave me a place knowing I don't have maths and the letter says it is required!?

I'm so confused, disappointed and also a little embarrassed that I thought I got a place yet now I know I might get rejected!!! I feel it's unfair ... but not sure what to do. Do I say anything to them? They might take away my offer ... yet they saw my UCAS knowing I don't have maths, offered me a place but said I need a C in Maths!?!?

What should I do ... I feel so upset about this.

Thanks for reading MG.

XX

I recently got accepted into a university course for this year that I'm not qualified for either. I'm in australia so it works differently, but I got accepted in "Round 2" which means with all the people that changed course, I was given a second chance, and although I am not qualified, they believe I have what it takes to do the course anyway.

It's an arts course so it isn't judged on grades (I never finished high school) but it was judged on my folio which I believe wasn't up to scratch.

Anyway, I got accepted and it's too late for them to reject me now, but if they have accepted you then I think you have a high chance of getting in.

What do you do now that you are accepted? Do you confirm enrolment or do you have to wait for more information from them?

Good luck, I hope you get in!!!

Hey (:

Basically I have to wait until all 5 uni's offer or reject me, then I can confirm which one out of the 5 I wish to take on. This one which has offered me a place I feel kinda bothered about because I am actually liking the course description. It says on the letter:

"We would like to remind all students require a GCSE grade C or above in the English language and for the following coursesmust hold a GCSE grade C in subjects required for your course-

Wildlife and Media = Maths"

I mean ... I've just told people I'm accepted but now they may take it away from me, even though they must have read my online application form in order to give me a 'conditional'.

Just feels unfair y'know ...

'Conditional' - means conditional on you a) achieving the necessary grades or b) them having enough places left over that they can offer you a place.

I'm confused that it wasn't a condition of your college place that you didn't have to retake maths though. I got a D and had to retake the get the C just to get in there.

What is the competition like for the course at the university you want?

Make sure you understand what they mean before jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps it means that they will accept you if you agree to take the course and get a C in it, i.e., you can start your program, but you need to take that course and get a C in it in order to graduate.

Sometimes 'conditional' means they've agreed to accept you, but you also have to take some additional courses to complete the degree. So you might be accepted, just need to take that course before they move your status from conditional to unconditional and award the final degree.

So it might not be bad news at all, just mean you need to eventually take that course and get a C in it.

There is some confusion here because the American and British degree systems are quite different. In the UK, you don't choose from a wide range of courses, and by your choice determine a major and minor. Rather, you choose a single (or sometimes joint) subject before you start, and your course choices are limited to those offered by the relevant degree course and department only, with a few exceptions. As such, most UK undergrads do not take any math courses at all (which might explain the frightening lack of numeracy that exists in the UK these days). Certainly, there would not normally be an option to retake Maths GCSE in the first year of a degree program in the UK; you either have it before you go, or you don't go.

That said, a conditional offer can be more or less conditional depending how much the university want you, and how oversubscribed the course is. If you phone the admissions office, they'll tell you that you definitely need the C grade. However, given that they probably didn't read your GCSE grades before making the offer, and there's some chance they also won't when deciding whether or not to finally accept the offer (they'll be far more interested in your A-level grades), I think there's still scope to get in here. All I would say, though, is that if the course is oversubscribed and most students make their grades, then this gives them an easy way to not accept you and keep their numbers down. Only you know how likely that is for your particular institution and course.

Finally, I should add that it's well worth retaking your GCSE maths before the summer, and getting private tuition to help you if you need it. An F in GCSE maths is not a good thing to have on your CV almost regardless of what you want to end up doing.

You should definetly speak to the university.

Maths is a very important GCSE, and will not only be looked at whilst your at uni, but also later on in life and your career. What course are you wanting to go on? And what career do you want?

I think you should resit the GCSE it will be useful in the future

Plus if there is maths involved on your course (and usually, no matter what the course is there is some level of maths at uni as uni is academic) you may struggle. There will be a reason for asking for a C or above...I could understanbd if you had a D...but an F is a long way away from a grade C!

Definetly ring the uni and would resit the exam too good lukc

Archived