Should I pop the question?

Alex13

Alright so here is the story.I want to propose to my girlfriend on our anniversary. We don't have an apartment yet. But for the summer we are going to be living at my dads camp for the summer and them getting a place together. I just want to know what everyone thinks. Should I wait until we have our own place or should I go for it? Thank you in advance.

I am ready for it. I love her with everything that I have, and want to spend the rest of my life with her. I was just wondering if it would be a bad idea to propose when we don't hav our own place. We both live at her parents house. She is going to college and I will also be going in a few months. We have talked about marriage and she said that she would marry me and that she wants to start a family with me down the road.

I agree with Blue - you can also have a longer engagement so once you get an apt & settle you can start planning the wedding. Just because you dont have a place together doesn't mean you cant propose.

Best of luck My SO just proposed on NYE and it is a beautiful thing!

Propose.

If you waited for the exact perfect time, you'd never get engaged.

Engaged doesn't mean you have to get married tomorrow.

Hey, you're lucky you are living with your folks, you can save money for the wedding and for a new place. And I'm sure your folks will be happy to help you plan a budget and savings for each.

If you're lady loves you, she'll want to get engaged if you were living in a cardboard box. Location is inconsequential.

Get engaged, you don't have to wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my father owns a camp, that we both love staying at during the summer. It was where we had our first kiss. ha ha. I want to leave a note on the table at the camp saying to kayak to the first island you see on the horizon and them some other things. At the island there will be a trail of candles leading her to a campfire dinner, her favorite foods. After dinner I have a letter that I wrote to her telling her how much I love her and how I want to fall asleep and wake up next to her ever night and every morning. Of course I will never be able to explain to her how much I care and love her. That is the plan. Haha I went it to a lot of detail I know, but I want it to be perfect something we will never forget. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or advice. I will be very grateful.

I'm going to give a slightly different take. While I'm super excited for you, it sounds kind of like this is going to be a "surprise" proposal. While it's awesome to have the exact time and location of the proposal be a surprise, she shouldn't be totally surprised that you're thinking about marriage. Have you discussed marriage at all? Have you talked about whether you want kids? A small family or large? How long to wait before having kids? Do you have similar philosophies about spending and saving money? Do you share common goals about where you see yourselves in 5, 10, 15 years? If you haven't talked about these issues, now is the time. Next time you're on a car trip or hanging out on the couch, start a conversation. You don't have to tell her flat out that you're thinking about proposing, but as you two discuss what a future together would look like she'll know that it's on your mind.

P.S. I'm getting married in October and my fiance and I went together to look at rings. It was really fun!

If you are ready to get engaged, and she has expressed interest in doing the same, then go for it! I do recommend a long engagement so you can work out your living situation, plan the wedding and just spend more time together before being man and wife. You are both young (nothing wrong with that, I am 20 and plan to get married within the next two years), so you should enjoy a longer engagement...maybe past the two year mark? Sound like you have thought things through...good luck with the proposal!

Yes we have talked about marriage before and she said that she would marry me. We have talked about kids and we want two. We also have the same goals in our live go to college get a degree ect ect . Now I have a question for everyone would you all change your mind about the proposal if you knew that we are a gay couple?

Yes we have talked about marriage before and she said that she would marry me. We have talked about kids and we want two. We also have the same goals in our live go to college get a degree ect ect . Now I have a question for everyone would you all change your mind about the proposal if you knew that we are a gay couple?

No, but obviously if you are living in the States everything about your marriage will be more symbolic than anything else, unless you can find a way of having a civil ceremony. Good luck!

Archived