What drives this type of FAKENESS?

gigglyfreedom

Hey... ive asked one or two questions about fake people before, but.. this time im wondering why fake people will actually go to the extreme of pretending they like you (when its Soooo obvious that they dont.. i mean, i can see it on their faces!!!), or they pretend theyre trying to be friendly to you, i mean, even to the point sometimes that they want you to realize theyre being fake... but its like... woa, how empty do you have to feel inside to act like that? Where fakeness isnt about getting something from you/out of you, what drives it? If you dont like someone, its like DONT TALK TO THEM... but WHY would you EVER GO UP TO SOMEONE AND SMIRK AND BE LIKE 'HIIII (REALLY obvious fake smile and really fake, almost sickly fake tone of voice, i mean, blatantly obvious fakeness - not the type where you are suddenly let down because you thought they were your friends or thought that they/someone really liked you.. i mean the fakeness where they/someone almost wants you to realize they are being fake to feel good and have some power), its so weird!! WHY?? any opinions? views? comments? thanks!

Believe it or not, when people do this they are trying to convince themselves they are a certain type of person which they clearly are not. Just remember it has nothing to do with you.

I second this and would like to add there are also those who value you simply because you exist and they are bored, and to a lesser extent, those who are waiting to see if they can get anything of monetary value out of you in the long term.

Trying to label every motive for humanity (or a lack of it) is an endless task.

Believe it or not, when people do this they are trying to convince themselves they are a certain type of person which they clearly are not. Just remember it has nothing to do with you.

Agreed. They want to be able to tell themselves that they get along with everyone, that they are such a great person, etc.

A lot of fake people also have a fear of creating any conflict.

Agreed. They want to be able to tell themselves that they get along with everyone, that they are such a great person, etc.

A lot of fake people also have a fear of creating any conflict.

I think this is very true. In our society it is desirable to be outgoing, friendly and bubbly, but it doesn't come naturally to some people. When someone tries to be like that and it's not natural, then it will obviously come accross as fake.

Just avoid people like this.

I've had it happen to me. Funnily enough, it's only the women who tend to do this.

Ok, it's not only been done to me, but I've actually seen it happen to others. I know darn well the one person HATES the other, and maybe just finished saying what a "big fat cow" the other is. Then they'll walk in and you see them laughing away in a high pitched, frozen laughing way.

I think perhaps they thrive on talking to you, getting material to laugh at behind your back or more stuff to talk bad about. So they put on an act, and continue to smile thinking they're making a fool of YOU. When really they're making an A** of themself who can see how fake they are.

Some other people who do this, also are SO fake, that they indirectly want to make you feel bad by purposely not hiding the fakeness (if that makes any sense?). You can walk in, and they'll say "hiiiiiiiii, how are you? oh you like niccccce today" and you'll be kind of hurt/puzzled b/c you know they don't mean it or are being sarcastic.

I see it happen alot at work..

I used to work with someone like that. It was a game to her. You could tell she just thought it was hilarious. I honestly think she saw herself as some sort of charming character from a Golden Age novel--Fitzgerald or Hemingway, which she read ALL the time.

She would do it to EVERYONE. The completely fake HIIII! and grin, then when someone left the room, she'd just rip them to pieces.

It was kind of psychopathic, honestly.

I used to work with someone like that. It was a game to her. You could tell she just thought it was hilarious. I honestly think she saw herself as some sort of charming character from a Golden Age novel--Fitzgerald or Hemingway, which she read ALL the time.

She would do it to EVERYONE. The completely fake HIIII! and grin, then when someone left the room, she'd just rip them to pieces.

It was kind of psychopathic, honestly.

i agree lmao. this one lady who works with us always speaks so.. softly.

the day i met her i knew something was off. who speaks like that ALL THE TIME. like carefully and cheerily at the same time, ALL THE TIME.

some weeks later i was told to watch my back with her as she is a real back stabber and rips everyone apart. yet i still always see her being so fake.

and i also heard she has a real potty mouth when not around us. haha.. the irony.

i mean who goes thru so much trouble to be fake???

It happens at work a lot, people that hate each other but can't show it. Or people you don't like but have to pretend you do.

In our workplace, our ranking system actually measured you for a couple years on whether or not people perceived you to be happy and nice. OMG what a hellish fake place that created. Thank goodness that was stripped out of the reviews....

It happens at work a lot, people that hate each other but can't show it. Or people you don't like but have to pretend you do.

In our workplace, our ranking system actually measured you for a couple years on whether or not people perceived you to be happy and nice. OMG what a hellish fake place that created. Thank goodness that was stripped out of the reviews....

Yeesh. I consider myself to be a pretty upbeat person, but that would grate on my nerves like nobody's business. Not to mention completely mess with my head...if I HAD to think all the time about how people perceive me, because my job demands it? Good grief, I do that all the time anyway!

Archived